Wiki Posts
Search

Why the animosity towards Porter?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Why the animosity towards Porter?

I'm curious why so many AC people are attacking Porter. I do think Porter has a superior product for those living in the city of Toronto vs. th6e trek out to Pearson for flights < 1.5hrs. I sometimes take flights Toronto-Montreal, and I can leave my house in Toronto at 6:15AM and be in downtown montreal by 8:30. Not too bad! If I were to take AC via Pearson I would not only need to deal with unreasonable rapidair crowds at YYZ, I'd have to leave my house at 5:45 - I like the extra 1/2 hour of sleep. Of course, I use AC for any long-haul travel and have been E/SE for the last 11 yrs. Why attack one vs. the other? It's simply a matter of what's convenient....
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I'm curious why so many AC people are attacking Porter.
Fear?
Obviously Porter is a thorn in AC's butt.
Some people predicted it would not last this long.
As it now threatens the YYZ-NYC route where AC (and others) gouged prices for years, its easy to Porter-bash out of fear of competition
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
As Porter has to rely on extremely anti-competitive behaviour and sweetheart deals to stay in the air, they get a big from me.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
As an obviously uninformed American here, may I politely inquire as to who/what Porter is?

Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by gsupstate
As an obviously uninformed American here, may I politely inquire as to who/what Porter is?

Thanks.
Porter is a Canadian airline flying Bombardier Q-400 aircraft from a hub at the Toronto City Centre (Island) airport. Current destinations include Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax. They plan to add Newark next year and possibly other US destinations.

On short-haul routes there is not much difference in travel time between a jet and Q-400 and with an airport near dowtown Toronto it is an appealing alternative to some travellers.

Porter offers a lounge-like experience at their Toronto hub and complimentary beverages and snacks on their flights.

www.flyporter.com
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
As Porter has to rely on extremely anti-competitive behaviour and sweetheart deals to stay in the air, they get a big from me.
What... an airline engaging in anti-competitive behaviour? Surely you jest.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Really and AC hasn't done the same thing in the past and continues to do that now? Example: trying to get their US buddies to challenge Porters flights to the US? Well the airport authority called AC's bluff! OR how about offering FREE flights to YUL and YOW remember that famous $11 fare two month's ago? Well deduct the no baggage, changes option and you are left with a ZERO fare!

What sweetheart deals are you referring too? The fact that Deluce won an out of court settlement because the city of Toronto decided to cancel a valid agreement?

Because YTZ will not allow AC Jazz to operate freely like they did in the past where they offered poor service, passenger amenities and canceled flights resulting in the consolidating of operations at YYZ?

Let's not forget the money Jazz owed to the airport authority when AC declared bankruptcy protection. If I was the landlord at YTZ I wouldn't let AC have free reign either!

We all know AC only wants back in YTZ to drive out Porter. They had their chance and they blew it.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
I do recall that Air Canada bought out all the slots off YTZ, making it untenable for anybody else to operate there, before they stopped operations. I don't recall who they forced out of the airport though...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread and one other currently locked are the first I had heard of Porter. If they were to fly to Chicago and NYC it would be a real pleasure to see some competition at least on these short routes -- even if it was to Midway and Newark!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This thread and one other currently locked are the first I had heard of Porter. If they were to fly to Chicago and NYC it would be a real pleasure to see some competition at least on these short routes -- even if it was to Midway and Newark!
PD has announced that it is planning to operate YTZ-EWR... they're about a year behind on that route. Possibly vapourware. I'm looking forward to it too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.