Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada vs Porter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Yes Porter does have a superior product but don't take my word for it every major newspaper that given ^^ in that dept. Try Google or find.. ummm go to the Porter thread it's there

Porter can offer lower fares because they have a lower cost structure and don't have to pay the high landing fee's at Pearson. That's just example's.

You wanted facts and I gave you facts.
But on Wednesday Porter's fare to Montreal is higher, not lower. How come they don't pass the savings from lower costs on to consumers? More contradictions, not facts.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sebring
But on Wednesday Porter's fare to Montreal is higher, not lower. How come they don't pass the savings from lower costs on to consumers? More contradictions, not facts.
They do for future bookings... and you know that. (If they don't they offer better value)

And AC fares to YUL and YOW have never been lower. It was $11 just a couple of month's ago... remember? Why was that? One word PORTER.

You remember that fire sale don't you
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
I use both airlines. Air Canada predominately as I will fly about 100k with them this year and about 5 or 6 round trips to YOW from YTZ this year with porter. I use porter from YTZ as they are a better option for me living downtown with a quick flight to YOW. Ac would take longer as I would have to trek out all the way to YYZ and deal with that for such a short trip. Porters real benefit to me stops there.

I was going to try their service to YHZ but the automatic AC upgrade to J with my passes and direct flights would more than make up for a convenience in and out of the island.

I do believe they are having a nice effect on reducing some of the pricing in the triangle and hope they survive as I like the option. My sources still tell me, (which are made up of me and my staff flying them between YTZ and Yow) that they are busy during peak periods and anywhere between 20 and 50 passengers during the off peak times. This obviously compares to many AC flights that are full however I haven't flown them to Yow in a while so I can say for sure.

Anyway, always pulling for the underdog... just my 2 cents. You also have to admire a guy to can catch a big company like AC with it's pants down as well.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
So porter is the new Tier 3 feeder airline for AC?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Hmmm would you consider them a bottom feeder? Coons and all?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Exclamation

Whatever the original intent, this thread has basically just become a continuation of its parent thread, moved by another moderator to the Other North American Airlines forum earlier today.

As such, it will be joining it. Feel free to continue these discussions there.

Simon
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Looking at the following dates: Dec. 20 - Dec. 31

Porter is showing $160/$160 w/ taxes and fee's =$414.56 ^

Air Canada is showing $273/$260 w/ taxes and fee's = $645.64
Thanks for illustrating clearly which airline is burning through their cash reserve quickly, and which isn't.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Thanks for illustrating clearly which airline is burning through their cash reserve quickly, and which isn't.
Really? Where were you two month's ago when Air Canada was offering a FIRE SALE of $11 fares to YUL & YOW? In fact once you did all the discounts for no baggage and changes the fare was -$2!!

Who was burning their cash then?

I guess AC can afford it they walked away from their debt obligations remember that? Plus they still operate a monopoly on some routes so they can afford to give away seats.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I guess AC can afford it they walked away from their debt obligations remember that? Plus they still operate a monopoly on some routes so they can afford to give away seats.
Is it a monoploy if no competitor wants to offer service? No doubt you'd suggest AC pay a competitor to enter the market

Porter on the other hand restricts comeptition with backroom deals.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:27 pm

Is it a monoploy if no competitor wants to offer service? No doubt you'd suggest AC pay a competitor to enter the market

Porter on the other hand restricts comeptition with backroom deals.
The airport authority will do what best for the airport not what's best for AC. They tried that before remember? Air Canada Jazz screwed that up

When CO challenged the YTZ airport authority (on behalf of AC no-doubt)
They were given the green light to operate flights. They called their bluff.

Air Canada is boo-hooing over spilled milk, they had their chance now let someone else have a go at it.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: several
Porter is a excellent airline. I've been on them several times just in the past month, and every flight was far better than any I have had in AC economy in years. With the exception of the wider seats & legroom, it's comparable to AC's domestic J in my opinion.

As soon as I step on the aircraft, the FA always offers to hang my coat, inflight the drinks are no-charge and served in glasses, the food is excellent; tasty sandwiches & a small desert. It 'harkens back' to Wardair service. I hope they have a bright and prosperous future.

I was on the 4pm YTZ-YOW flight yesterday, and it was at least 85-90% full. Last week a YOW-YTZ at 1pm it was about 50% full.

I'd rate them a 10/10 vs. AC domestic: 5/10

My $0.02 USD
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airport authority will do what best for the airport not what's best for AC. They tried that before remember? Air Canada Jazz screwed that up .
As a gov't entity, isn't the TPA supposed to what's best for the public, aka the consumer?

If Porter is so wonderful, I wonder why they are so deathly afraid of competition from AC Jazz?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: several

If Porter is so wonderful, I wonder why they are so deathly afraid of competition from AC Jazz?
So how many times have you been on Porter? I would guess zero.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
As a gov't entity, isn't the TPA supposed to what's best for the public, aka the consumer?

Actually, the Toronto Port Authority is bound to act in its own long term interests. It's more or less now at Porter's behest, since Porter provides the only passenger service there.

Porter is not afraid of AC Jazz... they're flying the routes, after all. What they don't want is Jazz buying up all the takeoff slots, leaving Porter with no options at all... while just sitting on those rights themselves, with no intention of actually flying anything in them. Something about once bitten, twice shy.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

If AC is so wonderful, I wonder why they are so afraid of lil ol'Porter... and judging by the amount of discussion generated here, it looks like they are!
After all if Porter was negligible as competition, why would AC care, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.