Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by imverge
"Their business plan is in the public domain" as you mentioned above... WELL LET THE FLYING PUBLIC SUPPORT IT OR NOT. YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BAD MOUTHING THEM BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THEM!
Says who?

I am not bad mouthing their service or their planes, neither have any of the other correspondents on this thread, from the beginning, who ARE LARGELY TALKING ABOUT THIS AIRLINE'S VIABILITY.

If you want to talk about how you love their seats and their drinks, by all means, but don't try to shout down people who are having a discussion about the company's merits who were doing so long before you showed up on the thread.

I'm not here on FT to score any good comebacks to your comments nor am I here to figure out an airlines economic situation.
Really. That's funny, given you have attested that their costs MUST be much lower than Air Canada's, and that they are going to be very successful because their planes are (maybe) full and they have good service. Someone points out that those two factors largely don't make or break an airline, and it is like the sky has fallen.

So you would have people NOT fly them because of their "business plan"
I don't care if people fly them or not, I work for no airline. I, and others, were talking about their business plan and so on long before they launched business, and we have any right to continue doing so.

If you don't like it, start another thread entitled "OT: Porter has great service" or some such, and feel free to ignore the rest of our posts.

Simon
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only beef is that "people" shouldn't knock them for trying to bring back a dignified way of travel which is lacking on many airlines today
It's called product differentiation marketed really well.

Especially when these "people" haven't even tried them!
Why people in quotations?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by fishermanbob
Because they can and we put up with it.
In reality: because they have to, or they go bankrupt, because they are undercut price-wise by LCC that don't have the underlying cost structures, staffing and otherwise, of the big legacy airlines.

Simon
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:46 am

Programs: *AG (AE), HH, FB, others
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Really. Since this the Aeroplan section of Flyertalk, I would think flying Porter would be the dumbest thing one could do, in that context.
Well, I am sure there are dumber things one could do in that context.

If you are a member of Aeroplan it's so you can get benefits and if you can get business class service from a more convenient location by giving up 500 AP points I fail to see the dumbness of doing so. It's about service.

And to Simon: You are right - there are two conversations going on here. One about Porter's business plan and one about their service. However some comments here have appeared to say don't use Porter because they won't last forever which is like saying don't get married because that person will die some day. Others appear to say don't use Porter because we don't like how they got their financing. Both are irrelevnt to the service discussion.

Time will tell whether Porter is viable in the long term and no amount of discussion here will change that. However we know today that they offer a far superior service to AC and to the average passenger that's all that counts.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Nothwich
I really had to laugh reading this.

Why do you think those cuts have been made to customer service in this industry?
The cuts were/are made because the airlines know they can get away with it. I'm sure if AC Jazz ever gets back into YTZ you best believe they will open a new lounge and introduce similar service products... why? one word PORTER.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Simon
In reality: because they have to, or they go bankrupt, because they are undercut price-wise by LCC that don't have the underlying cost structures, staffing and otherwise, of the big legacy airlines.

Simon
How much money has AC made since it came out of bankruptcy? I think they can afford to add complimentary snacks/light meals on flights. AC takes advantage or as Milton has stated in the past "exploits" every possible avenue to generate revenue, including VOD.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:44 am

Says who?

I am not bad mouthing their service or their planes, neither have any of the other correspondents on this thread, from the beginning, who ARE LARGELY TALKING ABOUT THIS AIRLINE'S VIABILITY.

If you want to talk about how you love their seats and their drinks, by all means, but don't try to shout down people who are having a discussion about the company's merits who were doing so long before you showed up on the thread.

Really. That's funny, given you have attested that their costs MUST be much lower than Air Canada's, and that they are going to be very successful because their planes are (maybe) full and they have good service. Someone points out that those two factors largely don't make or break an airline, and it is like the sky has fallen.

I don't care if people fly them or not, I work for no airline. I, and others, were talking about their business plan and so on long before they launched business, and we have any right to continue doing so.

If you don't like it, start another thread entitled "OT: Porter has great service" or some such, and feel free to ignore the rest of our posts.

Simon
Refer to post 349...And to Simon:
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by fishermanbob
And to Simon: You are right - there are two conversations going on here. One about Porter's business plan and one about their service. However some comments here have appeared to say don't use Porter because they won't last forever which is like saying don't get married because that person will die some day. Others appear to say don't use Porter because we don't like how they got their financing. Both are irrelevnt to the service discussion.
And you guys can go on talking about the service to your heart's content.

But having posters tell the rest of us we have "no right" etc. to comment on the company's viability flies in the face of the purpose of this site.

However we know today that they offer a far superior service to AC and to the average passenger that's all that counts.
We don't "know" anything. It is your opinion, and the opinion of some others.

How people rate a company's service offering may vary wildly from person to person.

And there is nothing to say that Porter's service, should it continue, will remain at the level it is today forever. It could get better, worse, or stay the same.

Simon
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:26 am

How much money has AC made since it came out of bankruptcy? I think they can afford to add complimentary snacks/light meals on flights. AC takes advantage or as Milton has stated in the past "exploits" every possible avenue to generate revenue, including VOD.
Key phrase above: "I think".

And what if the route is not successful, and the "light meals", which airlines throughout NA do not offer on routes of this length are the cost that does it? You'll then complain they are nickle and diming.

And they are, and should, do whatever they can to ensure they don't re-enter bankruptcy protection after the next terrorist, health, or financial scare hits the airline market.

AC had better exploit every possible avenue to generate revenue. It would be a breach of their responsibility to shareholders otherwise.

Simon
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:29 am

The cuts were/are made because the airlines know they can get away with it. I'm sure if AC Jazz ever gets back into YTZ you best believe they will open a new lounge and introduce similar service products... why? one word PORTER.
LOL.

Yes, I am sure this would happen. WS opens lounges wherever they compete with AC. NW, DL and CO all have lounges at YYZ.

The cuts were made because the airlines know they can get away with it -- how many airlines have been in bankruptcy protection in the last three years? THIS is why they have to cut services. Because mom & pop want low fares, which means lower revenues, which means costs have to come down.

Simon
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:39 pm

AC had better exploit every possible avenue to generate revenue. It would be a breach of their responsibility to shareholders otherwise.

Simon
That the difference... I am NOT a shareholder I am a customer. I don't care for the airlines share price I only care for their flight price
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:49 pm

LOL.

Yes, I am sure this would happen. WS opens lounges wherever they compete with AC. NW, DL and CO all have lounges at YYZ.

The cuts were made because the airlines know they can get away with it -- how many airlines have been in bankruptcy protection in the last three years? THIS is why they have to cut services. Because mom & pop want low fares, which means lower revenues, which means costs have to come down.

Simon
So what's the reason PORTER opened a new lounge?... they have no competition at YTZ?

The airlines will always cry poor no matter what. When AC gets those new 777's and they save big on fuel do you think they are going to pass along the saving to the customer? NO. They will continue to cut...

AC entered into bankruptcy because they swallowed more than they could chew with Canadian Airlines. Trying to squeeze another player out of the market... Just like they will try and do with PORTER.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:56 pm

Keep on mixing those economic and "I'm just a passenger" arguments.

You think businesses can enter bankruptcy protection without real financial problems behind them?

This discussion is pointless, as the argument is obviously stuck on the belief that legacy airlines are out to screw you, that they are all doing swimmingly well and not one recession away from a tumble, and that Porter, despite its "arrangement" with the airport landlord at YTZ is a shining beacon of customer friendly happiness and business ethics.

Canadian Airlines. Ha. Try SARS, 9/11 and the high tech collapse.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Simon
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:38 pm

Keep on mixing those economic and "I'm just a passenger" arguments.

You think businesses can enter bankruptcy protection without real financial problems behind them?

This discussion is pointless, as the argument is obviously stuck on the belief that legacy airlines are out to screw you, that they are all doing swimmingly well and not one recession away from a tumble, and that Porter, despite its "arrangement" with the airport landlord at YTZ is a shining beacon of customer friendly happiness and business ethics.

Canadian Airlines. Ha. Try SARS, 9/11 and the high tech collapse.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Simon
Best to give it up. There will always be those that simply refuse to see a correlation between the emergence of the LCC's and the cuts in service levels with the legacy carriers. Survival is the key word. Adapt or die.

The majority of passengers have made it clear that they are willing to give up service to get a cheaper seat.

Deluce doesn't need to make any numbers public, but there are smart enough people out there to make a good estimate given the known costs of acft, airports etc.

Best wishes to those that are enjoying Porter but please don't go legacy bashing if they close up shop because they really aren't turning a profit with the fares they charge and the services they offer.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Simon
Great to see the two sides finally agreeing on something!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.