Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Porter Airlines gets federal loan up to $270.5 million, including money for refunds

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/port...unds-1.5492682

QUOTE:

"All flights booked by Wednesday for travel as of Feb. 1, 2020, are immediately eligible for refunds. Online submissions will be accepted until Aug. 29 with refunds of the total purchase amount processed in the original form of payment.

Customers can keep their existing travel credits and receive a 25 per cent credit bonus, depending on their method of booking. The credits are valid until Dec. 31, 2022, and are transferable."
They are sneaky. They better not play dirty.

Refund eligibility

• Your flight was originally scheduled on or after February 1, 2020.
  • Your booking was made before June 30, 2021.
  • Your flight was cancelled by Porter due to COVID-19.
  • You currently have a credit with Porter or your travel agency for that flight.
  • You did not transfer your credit nor received it from someone else.
  • You have not initiated a dispute with your credit card company nor filed a travel insurance claim.
  • You request your refund from Porter before August 29, 2021. If we don’t hear from you by then, you are deemed to have accepted the credit in lieu of a refund.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:34 pm

Any reason not to take the money and walk away? The 25% bonus to credit doesn’t sound that impressive, considering we have no idea when, or even where, Porter will be flying again.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ericw

Refund eligibility

[...]
  • Your flight was cancelled by Porter due to COVID-19.
This wording is interesting. It suggests customers who cancelled their own flights are not eligible for refunds. When AC did its deal with the Feds and started providing refunds, it included flights that were cancelled by customers. Sunwing's policy appears to be the same as AC's. So it's surprising that the Feds would let Porter get away with this limitation.

The FAQ on Porter's COVID refund page does suggest that a customer who cancelled may be eligible, but it's not clear. What is clear is that those who paid cancellation fees to obtain refunds prior to now can't get those fees back. Which is definitely less favourable than what AC customers got.

Originally Posted by Slivo
Any reason not to take the money and walk away? The 25% bonus to credit doesn’t sound that impressive, considering we have no idea when, or even where, Porter will be flying again.
It could take a while to get the refund processed, so if you had a high degree of confidence that you'd need or want these funds to book some travel in the relatively near term, that could also factor in (as soon as you request the refund, you will likely no longer be able to use the travel credit).

But with PD still grounded, that may not matter much, and if the 25% bonus isn't very enticing, might be better to just make a clean break and get the cash back.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This wording is interesting. It suggests customers who cancelled their own flights are not eligible for refunds. When AC did its deal with the Feds and started providing refunds, it included flights that were cancelled by customers. Sunwing's policy appears to be the same as AC's. So it's surprising that the Feds would let Porter get away with this limitation.

The FAQ on Porter's COVID refund page does suggest that a customer who cancelled may be eligible, but it's not clear. What is clear is that those who paid cancellation fees to obtain refunds prior to now can't get those fees back. Which is definitely less favourable than what AC customers got.

It could take a while to get the refund processed, so if you had a high degree of confidence that you'd need or want these funds to book some travel in the relatively near term, that could also factor in (as soon as you request the refund, you will likely no longer be able to use the travel credit).

But with PD still grounded, that may not matter much, and if the 25% bonus isn't very enticing, might be better to just make a clean break and get the cash back.
I booked via Amex and cancelled mine on March 12, 2020 before they started cancelling flights. I won't get the 25% credit and I have no plan to travel on PD anytime soon, so I'd definitely want a refund.
They were very quick on updating the manual for TAs but this time the document is still not updated. https://www.flyporter.com/Content/Do...t-Document.pdf
I called AMEX and they said they still havent received any instructions from PD yet.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Considering all 3 of Air Canada, Air Transat and Sunwing's negotiated refund policy with the feds include passengers who cancelled voluntarily, I have a hard time believing Porter was able to negotiate that out. If I have to guess, it's probably a typo and they will fix the website shortly.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Porter Airlines confirms restart of service to select Canadian destinations beginning Sept. 8

5 July 2021 - Canadian Aviation News

U.S. flights start on Sept. 17

QUOTE:

"TORONTO, July 5, 2021 /CNW/ – Porter Airlines is officially returning to the skies on Sept. 8, nearly 18 months after suspending flights due to COVID-19 public health and travel restrictions.

The flight schedule is returning in phases, with the initial group of Canadian destinations being Halifax, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, St. John’s, NL, Thunder Bay and Toronto. U.S. destinations in Boston, Chicago, New York and Washington follow on Sept. 17."

Full article and planned schedule starts

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...inning-sept-8/

article also like to this page Porter: Relaunch

EDIT TO ADD:

Last edited by 24left; Jul 5, 2021 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Talk about a terrible time for them to restart. Missing out on the July/August traffic to Atlantic Canada and unlikely to be much of a fall business travel period. Now they have to fly through the fall/winter until their network likely really picks up next spring and then we have a new "normal" for travel by later next year. I think they waited too long to work out a deal with the feds and goofed on this one.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Talk about a terrible time for them to restart. Missing out on the July/August traffic to Atlantic Canada and unlikely to be much of a fall business travel period. Now they have to fly through the fall/winter until their network likely really picks up next spring and then we have a new "normal" for travel by later next year. I think they waited too long to work out a deal with the feds and goofed on this one.
You make some great points here. I wonder how much the current lawsuit they have with Nieuport affected their restart date. From a travel restrictions standpoint, intra-Canada restrictions are pretty much gone now and they really could have restarted end of July to align themselves with Transat and Sunwing in an effort to capture as much of the intra-Canada leisure traffic.

Could the extra month of delay be attributed to behind the scenes negotiations with Nieuport? Each month the airline is not flying from YTZ, Nieuport is still billing them the full terminal fees...
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:30 am

I called Amex last night about my porter refund. They still haven't got any instructions from PD. The amex agent phoned PD TA line and was told to send an email to a generic box AND to follow up if no response in 2 weeks.
Clearly PD doesn't want to process refunds, at least easily like anyone else. They can clearly issue a blanket waiver to TAs but they choose not to.
This says a lot about their management.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
PD pilots during the lockdown

I spoke with an AC pilot last month. Asked here - and -- she correctly called it that PD would fly again. I then asked her what PD pilots were doing for the past 18 months? She knows many of them and they went north to work cargo flights!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:59 pm

Anyone here have experience with Porter Pass? Wondering how availability works. Is it limited availability or is every open seat available to purchase for Porter Pass holders?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Has anyone tried the Porter Porter brewed by Beau's yet? Any good?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:09 pm

VIPorter points expiration?

Hi,

Before I start bothering Porter wondering if anyone's gotten an update on Porter expiration. I have over 100K points, my last flight was in Jan 2020 before the pandemic. I expect business travel to start again next year but probably not before Jan 2022. Porter's official line is that all my points will expire two years from my last flight. I can't imagine that I'm unique...

There doesn't seem to be a way to extend other than actually booking (and flying) a flight, either a revenue flight to earn miles or a redemption.

If no data points or ideas on this thread, I'll check with their social media team, they've been very quick with info in the past.

Thanks, all!
Old May 27, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Looks like I'll be flying Porter MDW-YTZ-YOW next week. Since AA and DL have pulled out of YOW, there's not many other options.

I assume one clears Canadian immigration at YTZ?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.