Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

GOL - Is there a thread and benefits with AA Exec Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GOL - Is there a thread and benefits with AA Exec Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:25 am
SCS

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Update regarding my account at GOL check in:

Got the runaround and still haven’t received a refund for seats purchased just yet.

Tried premium checkin and the agent turned me away even after seeing my AA status. Counter agent overheard things and intervened. Granted me passage. Allowed to check in. But she had to turn me away to get my credit card and passport verification done.

Went to customer service and they vetoed everything after a couple calls made by the agent. Counter agent entered my AA number and offered free baggage service. Told I’d have to go back to customer care or at the gate to ask for refund.

went to gate and club and told to get it down when I get to Recife. Upon arriving at REC, no chance of seeing gate agent or customer service. Had to exit airport. Will have to try again on Friday to resolve this as I head to GRU next. Good grief!

BTW, here in Porto de Galinhas, English isn’t easy to navigate here. But I fit in with the Argentinians. We’re speaking Spanish and everything is fine thus far! lol
Thanks for the report. With respect to (future) seat assignments, best bet is to call the US customer service line. That has worked for me a few times now (though once I had to argue the point before they gave it to me). Just make sure to check the booking after they’ve given you the seat to ensure that it shows up (one time they told me it was assigned, but it wasn’t). Glad you got the free checked bag. Hoping I am similarly successful with that next week after striking out the last time.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
SCS prior to GOL bankruptcy filing, I was able to find GOL flights on AA.com. But that changed at some point. Even on AA.com.br. I had no choice, in my opinion, but to book directly with GOL.

Just will try at REC airport Friday morning to get this 100% sorted out. Otherwise, it will be fealty with once I’m back home via email/X texts.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:34 am
SCS

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
SCS prior to GOL bankruptcy filing, I was able to find GOL flights on AA.com. But that changed at some point. Even on AA.com.br. I had no choice, in my opinion, but to book directly with GOL.

Just will try at REC airport Friday morning to get this 100% sorted out. Otherwise, it will be fealty with once I’m back home via email/X texts.
Right, I have both booked directly through GOL and through AA (award flights). But regardless, it’s advisable to call GOL after you already have your record locator to get the free seat assignment.

Best of luck with the refund request!
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Welp, last night I booked two more "GOL" flights - one using AA points as my previous two experiences and this one did get me free bag and seat selection. My upcoming flight, booked the same way, still wants money to choose a seat. I wonder what will happen with the bag. THEN, I needed to pay real money for a ticket from Porto Alegre, Brazil to Buenos Aires, Argentina, which was operated by Aerolineas Argentina but also a GOL codeshare. Argentineas site legitimately had NO CHOICE to choose my country as being USA, US, Estados Unidos, etc. I looked several times. GOL at first wanted a CPF and was hard to navigate, but EVENTUALLY, I got them to sell me the ticket. No seat selection etc on this one BUT I understand since its really Argentineas' plane. What I did find odd was I tried to input my American Frequent Flyer Number but it won't allow letters, only numbers... not that I'd have earned anything anyways since AA and, AA (American and Argentineas) aren't parrtners, but I digress. Aye aye aye...!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:41 pm
SCS

Pleased to report that I had no issues getting free checked bag today at CWB airport as AA Plat on an AA award ticket CWB-GIG. The website did not offer me free bag, but they took care of it at the priority check-in line with no questions asked. Totally contrary to my experience flying GIG-CWB in late October. Oh well, I’ll take it.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by SCS
Right, I have both booked directly through GOL and through AA (award flights). But regardless, it’s advisable to call GOL after you already have your record locator to get the free seat assignment.

Best of luck with the refund request!

Yeah... This entire process is not worth it anymore at this point for me. I've sent a message to AA complaints and they declined to investigate and indicated I need to file a report with AA refunds. But, I'm not able to report the issue because my GOL ticket number is not in the format for AA tickets.

Just gone with it at this point as I've not gotten a reply from the complaint team at AA regarding their hand-off of me needing to file a report with the AA refund team. It's been 7 business days at this point. Chalking it up as a lesson learned.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Checked baggage allowance on award booking

Apologies if posting in the wrong thread, google search didn't bring anything up.
I made an AA redemption on a GOL flight (AEP-GRU). I was able to pull up the booking on the GOL site which seems to indicate that the ticket has no checked baggage allowance. This was confirmed as well by the GOL twitter account.
Is that correct? I am pretty sure previous redemptions on GOL a few years ago included luggage (I may have used Emirates or Etihad miles for that).

I have no AA status anymore, but equally from the AA/GOL partnership page it doesn't state anything specific to checked luggage.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:10 am
SCS

Originally Posted by mzb00
Apologies if posting in the wrong thread, google search didn't bring anything up.
I made an AA redemption on a GOL flight (AEP-GRU). I was able to pull up the booking on the GOL site which seems to indicate that the ticket has no checked baggage allowance. This was confirmed as well by the GOL twitter account.
Is that correct? I am pretty sure previous redemptions on GOL a few years ago included luggage (I may have used Emirates or Etihad miles for that).

I have no AA status anymore, but equally from the AA/GOL partnership page it doesn't state anything specific to checked luggage.
No allowance on AA award tickets. Status will often enable you to check a bag for free, but not always (it’s not a published benefit). So you’re out of luck most likely. Best to pay in advance if you can; it’s more expensive at the check-in desk. In late October the price at the desk was around 29 USD (23kg max).
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SCS
No allowance on AA award tickets. Status will often enable you to check a bag for free, but not always (it’s not a published benefit). So you’re out of luck most likely. Best to pay in advance if you can; it’s more expensive at the check-in desk. In late October the price at the desk was around 29 USD (23kg max).
Thanks for confirming! I wish it would have been $29, the price I am quoted on the GOL manage my booking site is $42! Suspect I will be cancelling, and rebooking on AR (and hope they don't go bust before we travel), or AC (for a few more miles)
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
even though there are many people of Italian descent in Argentina, you will nver hear any Argentine speaking Italian - sorry but no menu in McDonalds in Italian
Liar! Although the one I know was the "last born son" and although he's porteño born, his siblings and parents were all Italian born

Going further off a tangent, it can be confusing in La Argentina how to pronounce Italian names - some seem to be as if they're still Italian, and others, pronounced as they're spelled in Spanish.

That said, you'll hear a word of Lunfardo once in a while that sounds Italianesque.

And all of my blathering still doesn't get you a good answer on luggage when flying GOL with AA status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.