Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AeroMexico is SOOO Bad - Any Tips or Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
AeroMexico is SOOO Bad - Any Tips or Tricks?

During the past year and for the foreseeable future, I have a need to fly AM about once a month. The flights are from the US, Europe, and domestic within Mexico. THEY ARE SO BAD! The website is completely dysfunctional. Every wrinkle (from a simple change of seat all the way to a full change of flights) requires a phone call to someone who is clearly working from home and juggling many (non-AM) priorities. Mileage almost NEVER posts correctly and an online request for mileage credit goes nowhere for 9+ months. Often, from the US, Delta randomly takes over the reservation which fouls things up even more. Seamless partnership, my foot!

How do you all cope?? I am a long time Delta loyalist - and perhaps just spoiled by their mostly-impeccable service - but is this really how it has to be??? There must be some secrets to making AM an acceptable experience. Please help!
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Um, do you really have to fly AM? There are plenty of alternatives from both Europe and the U.S., and there might even be some alternatives for your intra-Mexico flights.
jjbiv and Mama like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Um, do you really have to fly AM? There are plenty of alternatives from both Europe and the U.S., and there might even be some alternatives for your intra-Mexico flights.
Exactly, there is a reason for OP to continue flying AM. Most frequently flyers fly AM because of Delta's (or other skyteam partners) MQM, so they fly AM to get other airlines' elite status.
ebayj likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Aug 10, 2023 at 4:03 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I guess "have to" is a bit strong. Yes, I have flown other carriers but sometimes AM is the only viable option. For intra-Mexico flights, often the only other choices are VivaAerobus or Volaris - both even worse than AM. And, I obviously try to maintain my loyalty to Skyteam. I just wondered if those who are loyal to AM have a different experience from mine.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
The trick with accurate mileage posting from AM flights to DL is to ask an AM agent to manually add your SkyMiles number at the check in counter and then see it on a printed boarding pass. There's no other way it will work as the AM website does not properly recognize SkyMiles numbers. Adding the number at a kiosk does not work either. I typically see AM miles post 5 days after the flight. The in flight meal service in business class, especially on domestic Mexico flights, is what you make of it. It's still sad boxes. They're happy to bring around additional rounds of drinks but you'll frequently have to ask. I've never missed a connection in MEX but the downside is that flights almost always leave late, especially in the evening, since the airport is operating beyond its capacity.
Adam Smith, ebayj, Bowgie and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
The trick with accurate mileage posting from AM flights to DL is to ask an AM agent to manually add your SkyMiles number at the check in counter and then see it on a printed boarding pass. There's no other way it will work as the AM website does not properly recognize SkyMiles numbers. Adding the number at a kiosk does not work either. I typically see AM miles post 5 days after the flight. The in flight meal service in business class, especially on domestic Mexico flights, is what you make of it. It's still sad boxes. They're happy to bring around additional rounds of drinks but you'll frequently have to ask. I've never missed a connection in MEX but the downside is that flights almost always leave late, especially in the evening, since the airport is operating beyond its capacity.
Thanks BNAChairman! That's very helpful. Is the SkyMiles tip also applicable for AM flights operated by DL and originating in the US? In other words, do I need to ask the DL agent in ATL to manually add my SkyMiles number? Or is this only necessary for flights operated by AM? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Only for flights operated by AM. But if buying tickets through the AM site, I'd still ask for printed boarding passes at the airport to make sure your SkyMiles number appears as it should.

As an aside, only an AM agent at Cabo San Lucas was unable to add the number correctly, likely because that airport uses contract staff for multiple airlines.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
They're happy to bring around additional rounds of drinks but you'll frequently have to ask. I've never missed a connection in MEX but the downside is that flights almost always leave late, especially in the evening, since the airport is operating beyond its capacity.
Happy? Especially on USA/MEX flights, the reaction is more like I've just told them I've kidnapped their first born than happy to refill my beverage.
asnovici likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Happy? Especially on USA/MEX flights, the reaction is more like I've just told them I've kidnapped their first born than happy to refill my beverage.
It may have to do with the cabin class you are in.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mama
It may have to do with the cabin class you are in.
I have never flown AM behind the curtain. So, perhaps they're nicer in the back.
TravellingChris and asnovici like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Maybe I just have low standards, but honestly its rare that I have problems with Aeromexico. The only (giant) exception is that since the pandemic, their ability to stick to the itinerary they have sold me has gone into the toilet. But once I have a workable itinerary, things generally go as I expect.
I rarely have had bad/rude service. But it is certainly low-energy. What I experience from Delta is a little more attentive, but not remarkably so.
jjbiv, BNAChairman and PanAmSam like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Only for flights operated by AM. But if buying tickets through the AM site, I'd still ask for printed boarding passes at the airport to make sure your SkyMiles number appears as it should.
I appreciate the advice. I haven't yet flown AM this year, but I have to do some TIJ-SCL biz-class trips to retain Skymiles status. Operationally, and cabin service-wise, I have had good experience with AM in the past -- only thing was having to retroactively claim unposted miles from Delta, and dealing with forever phone waits if I had to call reservations.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Quite honestly, I think they've improved quite a bit, especially this year. The web and app functionality isn't a problem for me and the DL Skymiles # is easy to input and has credited normally.

I was even thrilled to notice the other day that starting in mid-November, SFO-MEX will finally be rid of the old 738s with the 2x/daily service being upgraded to a 7M9 and 7M8.
PanAmSam and RFNJ like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Quite honestly, I think they've improved quite a bit, especially this year. The web and app functionality isn't a problem for me and the DL Skymiles # is easy to input and has credited normally.

I was even thrilled to notice the other day that starting in mid-November, SFO-MEX will finally be rid of the old 738s with the 2x/daily service being upgraded to a 7M9 and 7M8.
They fly 787 dream liner for LAX-MEX route.

Last edited by AfterHour; Oct 26, 2023 at 7:20 am
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AfterHour
They fly 787 dream liner for LAX-MEX route.
They sure do, and I've taken it, it's a nice ride. But the 7M9 nonstop from my home airport will do just fine, and is a HUGE improvement over those ghetto 738s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.