Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AeroMexico is SOOO Bad - Any Tips or Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Their behavior during COVID was, in my opinion, quite akin to outright theft.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:33 am

Good reminder that I have to get back to work on a $600+ refund Y class from last January that I have chased through AM and two credit card researches as AM claimed they had refunded already. I cancelled out since I had already received enough DL credit from booking other flights on AM and I was getting sick of the MEX airport migracion lines just on making a connection. Hours in line and security recheck and not just a gate move in the airport? -- ridiculous! Sometimes they would come around and pull people out of line if you were under 2 hours connecting. Maybe LATAM is the DL partner who will give me the extras this year, but AM had at least a couple days a month with the lowest FC fare.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SEAfarer
Good reminder that I have to get back to work on a $600+ refund Y class from last January that I have chased through AM and two credit card researches as AM claimed they had refunded already. I cancelled out since I had already received enough DL credit from booking other flights on AM and I was getting sick of the MEX airport migracion lines just on making a connection. Hours in line and security recheck and not just a gate move in the airport? -- ridiculous! Sometimes they would come around and pull people out of line if you were under 2 hours connecting. Maybe LATAM is the DL partner who will give me the extras this year, but AM had at least a couple days a month with the lowest FC fare.
That middle part isn't the fault of AM, and is no worse than a connection in the USA for many. Now, as to AM, and the issues I've had with AM, which the DOT, and the travel insurance company were of no help, they may be far worse than pretty much everyone else's experiences here. So, no love lost.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
far worse than pretty much everyone else's experiences here.

ouch!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Since I had recently flew AM domestically on a Basic fare, just wanted to add my experience here. Based on this 1x experience, actually I found inflight service and offerings on domestic was ok.

However my main complain here was the ground staff at T2 SkyPriority area - which you would expect some better care.
My situation was as this - when trying to check in with this Basic fare, no matter which seats, if you wanted to select your own seat you had to pay, so I just decided to let the system pick for us. Logically you would expect that under the same booking, seats would be assigned together, but no, for whatever reason we were assigned seats at different rows.

- at the airport, agent intitially said no, flight is full nothing can be done, when asked for the supervisor, one came and she said the same too.
- asked how is this possible when we are under the same booking? no explanation. When I tried to play the DYKWIA, she said, under basic fare, no SP benefits applied. I was tired to argue anymore looking at their attitude.
- after leaving the counter, found that my FF was not properly entered, went back to ask to have it fix, initially after a few clicks, was told to just line up in Zone 1, which I of course did not want to do if there is no SP on the boarding pass. It was only I insisted tht this be correctly fix, did both the agent and supervisor work on it, and it did work in the end - so why lie and said it does not work.
- as for the seats, after a delay, boarded and found that the plane was totally not full, maybe 90% so in the end, managed to grab a whole row for ourselves. So why lie again that changing seat is not possible, etc ?

It was one lie to another. Quite terrible/lazy in my opinion and this even at the SkyPriority counters. However luckily at least there are still come benefits compared to taking a LCC, so will not cross them out if I need to fly domestically again in Mexico, hopefully this experience was just a one off.

Cheers!
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Aeromexico are not THAAAT Bad

So after doing a CUN-MEX-CUU return in Premier (mix of light and regular). It's really not thaaaaaat bad.

The fare itself was fairly cheap, and I used it as multicity with a 4 day stop in MEX.

The premier light product was not great, but nothing Euro business hasn't used us to. Seat 1K did not have a tray, at all! You don't really need it for the sad box, mind. That leg was on the MAX.

Other legs were on 738 NG, and the recliner seat was decent + they all had IFEs. Well one IFE was broken so I moved to other free seat. Not really needed for short flight anyway.

The beer was COLD, and I mean ultra cold. They went to get it at the front of the aircraft each time, so presumably was stored in a fridge. It really beats lukewarm heineken on euro flights by a mile. The FAs were mostly very proactive in keeping the drinks flowing when empty, which on such short flights was much appreciated.

Airports in Mexico are awful. 2hour queues at immigration in CUN, no proper signage, transfers randomly closed at MEX meaning going through security twice. No priority whatsoever for anyone. Probably not AM's fault there, but boy, it was painful.

The AM lounge in Mexico was pretty mediocre and crowded, the lounge in CUU was more cosy and pleasant.... and in CUN, AM does not pay for a lounge, so you get nothing (PP came in to the rescue).

I had to make a couple of changes to my tickets and AM infrastructure is wonky to the say the least. Internationals sites not working, payments over the phone not going through (I had to call their US centre from Mexico for it to finally work...) bit of a mess really. I found out that the US website is best as it has a working livechat. Once you do get through to someone, they are helpful.

Finally my bag got damaged in transit. It was fairly difficult to find out how to make a complaint but once I did I received adequate compensation without too much hassle.

A mixed bag but I went in with low expecations and I am happy to say that AM exceeded my expectations. The premier domestic fares really come in quite cheap if you buy in advance, so it was worth the little expense.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I have to agree with Maestro, I really don't find AM that bad, though I tend to fly business which makes things a lot more tolerable. I have yet to experience the premiere light product - I either get actual premiere or Embraer-style premiere on a hop so short they can barely complete drink service before they are collecting garbage and preparing for landing.

I agree MEX is pretty lousy, with the only real plus is that T2 is small. Navigation is simple until you get to the roulette wheel that is "Gate75." I will say that the "closed transfer" experience is pretty rare. Only on International Arrivals have I had to clear security to enter the terminal after customs (which is SOP, just like any first point of entry into the US). On domestic-arrival connection at MEX T2 I haven't had to go though security in many years. Lounges I always default to the AM Heineken Lounge, or use the Amex lounge if I want hot food. AM Heineken is small, but never had problems getting a seat.

But honestly, I don't mind AM at all. It's low touch, that is to say I tend to have very little interaction with AM staff, which I am fine with. They are always polite, and over the years I have seen a lot of improvement in both the boarding process and dealing with (and communicating) unexpected issues. I will thank Delta's influence for that. But their planes are generally clean, the staff polite, and I don't feel that they are that bad on arrival/departure times (though again, MEX's air traffic issues are bad).
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
The funny part comes when you have to deal with their customer service, for any kind of IROPs, which is so far the worse I dealt with: a mix of stubborn with bad faith.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Yolow
The funny part comes when you have to deal with their customer service, for any kind of IROPs, which is so far the worse I dealt with: a mix of stubborn with bad faith.
Certainly not on my end. One of my flights was moved 2hrs later and I did not like it and asked for earlier flight, which they gave me instantly. (And I sneakily managed to upgrade myself from premier lite to regular in the process). The only hurdle was technical: actually finding a livechat link that's not broken!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:39 pm

Good luck if you ever need to get a refund from AM. Even Viva Aerobus is better in my experience.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jjbiv
Good luck if you ever need to get a refund from AM. Even Viva Aerobus is better in my experience.
Agreed and still waiting mine for 3 years now
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: TudoAzul Diamante, Smiles Diamante, Latam Gold
I flew AM last month from MEX-GRU on economy class (787 dreamliner). I think that, differently from other experiences reported here on narrow body airplanes, it was pretty comfortable and the service was fine. The problems I had were completely related to their systems (as already reported here). I flew an award ticket, X class, e-ticket first 3 digits: 127. I don't know if it was because of the e-ticket number (i would say that it wasn't) but i've tried to insert my Kenya Airways (ASSANTE) number (got the status match with aa exec plat last year) to get Skyteam Elite benefits, but the website just couldn't recognize it. Tried to input Saudia (Alfursan) number, got the same error: wrong or invalid number, try again. Called them, had the same problem. I still think that this is an I.T. problem, since the frequent flyer number of common airlines of America and Europe works just fine when inserted on their website.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:15 am

I find AM pretty good, especially when compared to the likes of Avianca or LATAM (the alternatives on most of the routes I use AM).

Their website has worked absolutely fine for me (although I do book directly with AM - maybe an issue if not) and miles always credit swiftly to my KLM Flying Blue accounts.

I rate their catering pretty highly, certainly very good on the MEX-GRU and MEX-MAD routes I mainly fly. Love that I can pre-order from a vast range and have always received my pre order.

I fortunately have not had to deal with any refund issues or such, but that aspect generally is a fight with a good 75% of airlines. I always pay with my AMEX who are excellent at simply reverting payment when I dispute a charge and can back it up (with proof of fare rules, comms with the airline etc).

My main issues are 1) the appalling lounge in MEX. And 2) the regular swapping (excellent) 787-9 for the (vastly inferior) 787-8. I wish they had more consistency with their long haul seating, the two 787 variants are like night and day.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by 108912
I fortunately have not had to deal with any refund issues or such, but that aspect generally is a fight with a good 75% of airlines. I always pay with my AMEX who are excellent at simply reverting payment when I dispute a charge and can back it up (with proof of fare rules, comms with the airline etc).
Unfortunately, this was not borne out during COVID. AM was by far the worst airline I had to deal with on COVID related (airline-initiated) cancellations, and AMEX completely shafted me (and many others) taking AMs side. I had to go through AM's bankruptcy administrator and wait 2 years to get refunded for a flight they cancelled on me. AM was, of course, not unique in their bad behavior during COVID, but of the 4 airlines I had to deal with, they were by far the worst. And AMEX was _not_ a reliable backstop.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by 108912
I find AM pretty good, especially when compared to the likes of Avianca or LATAM (the alternatives on most of the routes I use AM).

Their website has worked absolutely fine for me (although I do book directly with AM - maybe an issue if not) and miles always credit swiftly to my KLM Flying Blue accounts.

My main issues are 1) the appalling lounge in MEX. And 2) the regular swapping (excellent) 787-9 for the (vastly inferior) 787-8. I wish they had more consistency with their long haul seating, the two 787 variants are like night and day.
I wish I could say the same about the app - I have found that checking in on AM when there is a codeshare with Delta a hot mess. They don't play well together, and therefore I usually cannot get the boarding pass for one of my legs and am forced to go to the check-in desk.
As for the lounges in MEX, no argument. I would say try the Heineken lounge down by gate 75. The Amex Lounge in T2 is excellent, if you have the right card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.