Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico questions - JFK>MEX>OAX, return MEX>JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:05 am
Original Poster

I found flights on Aeromexico from JFK to Oaxaca, with a 2-hour stop in MEX for transiting. We then return nonstop from MEX to JFK 2+ weeks later.

Questions:
1) Oddly, I couldn't get both directions on one ticket. Instead, to get the premier class, it looks like I have to buy 2 one-way tickets. For some reason, the return flight doesn't work on the same ticket, but ONLY in the premier class. I can get 2 one-way tickets in premier. Is this okay?
2) Is Aeromexico reliable? I'm assuming it will work for our needs, but is there any reason why I should consider another airline?
3) Is there any problem with transiting through MEX? We will have 2 hours, so I would think it should be okaWe are going to Mexico! but I have some questions about the flight.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
1. Two one way tickets are fine.
2. I flew AM a fair amount last year. Had some delays here and there but never missed a connection. Sometimes a schedule change resulted in a system generated new departure that was a day earlier. A quick phone call to customer service rectified the situation, and I always had my calls answered promptly. In flight service in Premier leaves a lot to be desired. Always have to ask for additional drinks. JFK to MEX is the best of the worst though, especially flying on the 787. Refunds and missed flights are a nightmare, so be on time for your flight or they'll gladly keep your money.
3. Two hours is fine. If arriving in MEX in the morning, expect an hour wait in the immigration line. Shorter wait in the afternoon. Choose the Centurion Lounge in MEX if you have the Amex Platinum or Delta Reserve card. The AM lounge is skippable.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeromexico serves some great markets, but they are not desirable to fly, IMHO.

If a US carrier serves a particular city in Mexico, I will take all reasonable measures to fly them over AM. But sometimes AM wins out, usually on price or schedule.

When there are no irregular operations, it's not a bad way to get to some great destinations. (BTW, Oaxaca city is an absolutely fantastic place.)

Agreed the Centurion lounge is better than AM ones, however, it is often ridiculously crowded, making the AM Salones Premier a more attractive option, even if the food and beverage is a notch below. The personalized service at the AM lounges rivals that of many First Class lounges, surprisingly enough.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UNITED959
... making the AM Salones Premier a more attractive option, even if the food and beverage is a notch below. The personalized service at the AM lounges rivals that of many First Class lounges, surprisingly enough.
I am not sure what you meant by "personalized service". I didn't get any service other than occasionally the waiters would approach me and asked if I wanted anything to drink.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
I am not sure what you meant by "personalized service". I didn't get any service other than occasionally the waiters would approach me and asked if I wanted anything to drink.
Fair point, but the fact that waiters did roam the lounges rather efficiently is definitely a level of service one doesn't see in DL, UA, and AA clubs (unless you're in the dining areas of Polaris/Flagship First).

My point being, for the dumpster fire that is AM, that surprise service level was certainly...a surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.