Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Choose prefered seats with AM - SkyTeam Élite+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Platinium - TK Elite - BA Gold

Good afternoon everyone
i'm FB platinium With Air France
I'm now on AM app and try to choose a prefered Seat But they want money.
Is That normal ?
I'm Flying on Monday at 1430 between GDL and MAD
Thank's a lot 🙏

Just spoke with AMThis is because it's Basic Fare Ticket .... it's really not fair from us

Last edited by franssois69; Oct 23, 2022 at 7:14 am
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have the same. I presume it is the case that they do not make exceptions for elite plus members on basic fares?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have the same. I presume it is the case that they do not make exceptions for elite plus members on basic fares?
Does Air France or KLM let you select preferred seats for free when you buy their BASIC fare tickets? NO.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mama
Does Air France or KLM let you select preferred seats for free when you buy their BASIC fare tickets? NO.
Actually, yes in my experience (on short haul flights and for Skyteam elite +, so equivalent, no idea about long haul or about elite).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
I flew GDL to SLC this past Wednesday…I called AeroMexico when trying to choose my seat and advised I wanted to use my SkyMiles priority…agent helped me navigate the AM website and I was able to select first row behind the single upgraded coach row. Received a pleasant surprise at check in…upgraded to First! Noticed the last two seats in First went unfilled for the flight, despite flight was probably 90% full.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Apollosmom
I flew GDL to SLC this past Wednesday…I called AeroMexico when trying to choose my seat and advised I wanted to use my SkyMiles priority…agent helped me navigate the AM website and I was able to select first row behind the single upgraded coach row. Received a pleasant surprise at check in…upgraded to First! Noticed the last two seats in First went unfilled for the flight, despite flight was probably 90% full.
1. First row in coach: Is it a Comfort seat? If it's not a Comfort seat, you don't need elite status to select it. And, are you talking about BASIC fare?
2. Upgrade to First class: "full flight" was probably the reason why you got upgraded, it was not because your are entitled to (with a BASIC fare). But agents have the power to overwrite the rules when circumstances call for it.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 7, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, yes in my experience (on short haul flights and for Skyteam elite +, so equivalent, no idea about long haul or about elite).
Do you know what BASIC fare is? Please read the definition on KLM website or AM website. It explicitly tells you BASIC fares are not entitled to any elite benefits. How many times have you been granted free "preferred" seats on other ST airlines when you have their BASIC fares? Like I say, agents can overwrite the rule in exceptional circumstances, but don't count on it every single time.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 7, 2022 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
Do you know what BASIC fare is? Please read the definition on KLM website or AM website. It explicitly tells you BASIC fares are not entitled to any elite benefits. How many times have you been granted free "preferred" seats on other ST airlines when you have their BASIC fares? Like I say, agents can overwrite the rule in exceptional circumstances, but don't count on it every single time.
I can only repeat the same thing. I have booked KL and AF basic fares within Europe many times and get free seat assignment every time (in answer to your question about "how many times?" I do mean that: every single time, no exception). You can capitalise it as much as you want, I am speaking from actual experience here (dozens of bookings), and no, I am not talking about agents overriding rules, I am talking about what I am able to get directly on the booking and every time. So when it comes to AF and KL basic fares within Europe, I'm afraid that what you say is simply mistaken.

Again, I have no idea if this would be different on long haul as I haven't booked KL basic fares long haul (but my AM flight is short haul so like for like, yes I get free seat assignment including preferred on KL basic eco fare as well as a free piece of luggage despite the fare saying 0, yes I get free seat assignment on AF basic eco fare as well as a free piece of luggage despite the fare saying 0, and no I am not getting any of this on AM.

Now, I'm not saying that all airlines are obliged to do what AF and KL are granting elite plus customers on short/medium haul basic fares, but you asked and I answers, AF and KL do grant those things and yes it is on basic fares.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Platinium - TK Elite - BA Gold
Hi everyone

I'm flying AM next Monday between MAD & GDL And again They want my money for a prefered Seat
Class Booking is K Where is the problem ?

Thank's

Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:01 pm

just booked a trip on AM for the first time. I'm FB gold, had to pay to select my seat and check my luggage in. classic fare.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
  • To select premium seats you have to book other than V fare. It has always work on the app or website for me (Delta Plat). If my reservation is V, the app will charge for seats.
  • For free checked luggage if you are ST Elite, V fare does not give you this benefit. If you are Elite Plus, any fare will give you extra free luggage. This only can be done at check-in counter. You will need to provide SkyTeam card or membership (Showing Delta card works).
  • V fare does not grant you upgrades on any status. I've only had one time at LAX that the AM agent manually gave me upgrade to FC on V fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.