Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Best way to book AM LAX to MEX flight with Club Premier (AMEX Point transfer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Been trying to use the website but its a bit...rough. Assuming the best way would be to create accounts and then call the help line? If I'm transferring points from AMEX MR to Club Premier, it looks like that may take 1-3 business days? Will phone rep be able to hold tickets until transfer is complete or do they not allow that?

Thanks in advanced!
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by lax01
Been trying to use the website but its a bit...rough. Assuming the best way would be to create accounts and then call the help line? If I'm transferring points from AMEX MR to Club Premier, it looks like that may take 1-3 business days? Will phone rep be able to hold tickets until transfer is complete or do they not allow that?

Thanks in advanced!
my last two AMEX to AM transfers (within the last 2-3 months) have been instantaneous.

I really suggest you try booking it through the website or the app. I agree that the CP website (and app) are not the best, my advice is do individual dates for searches...do not use the date tabs it shows. I've done that and it always mixes up the dates.

also, have you search for cash tickets? Sometimes cash tickets can be a better deal compared to the AM points + taxes.
lax01 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
my last two AMEX to AM transfers (within the last 2-3 months) have been instantaneous.

I really suggest you try booking it through the website or the app. I agree that the CP website (and app) are not the best, my advice is do individual dates for searches...do not use the date tabs it shows. I've done that and it always mixes up the dates.

also, have you search for cash tickets? Sometimes cash tickets can be a better deal compared to the AM points + taxes.
Appreciate the info - when you suggest individual searches, do you mean non-round trip? Is calling the phone reps also a headache and thats why you are suggesting using the app?

I know we aren't getting great value for the MR but we really need to burn some points (and not spend cash) - wish they still had the 20% bonus to CP going right now
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Appreciate the info - when you suggest individual searches, do you mean non-round trip? Is calling the phone reps also a headache and thats why you are suggesting using the app?

I know we aren't getting great value for the MR but we really need to burn some points (and not spend cash) - wish they still had the 20% bonus to CP going right now
individual searches as in...let's say your initial search is March 30 to april 9th. AM will show those dates AND other dates under different tabs. i was suggesting you Do not select the other tab dates to see the availability for the day(s) after or before. Just go back to the main search page and out in the new dates. You get more accurate availability when doing that.

That's been my experience with AM's wonky website.
lax01 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Thanks in advanced!
Have you compared the cost of the same AM flight using Delta SkyMiles? (Note that Amex charges a fee for transfers to domestic FFPs like SkyMiles.)
lax01 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you compared the cost of the same AM flight using Delta SkyMiles? (Note that Amex charges a fee for transfers to domestic FFPs like SkyMiles.)
Would you be doing a search via Delta's site for this? I was using points.me and I think Delta Business award tickets are way more MR than booking with Club Premier direct - but I do have some Delta miles already that I could also burn hah
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Would you be doing a search via Delta's site for this? I was using points.me and I think Delta Business award tickets are way more MR than booking with Club Premier direct - but I do have some Delta miles already that I could also burn hah
I redeemed some DL points on an AM MEX/SFO a few months back at a not outrageously ridiculous sum. Certain flights were much lower than others. I'd much rather have a DL than AM issued ticket.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually - shockingly - seeing a better deal with American booked via AMEXTravel with the 25% Gold Biz rebate...so I think I'm going to book that

But you are correct - Delta did have (even with the redemption tax on the AMEX side) better options than booking with CP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.