Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Update on catering on AeroMexico during Covid-19 and onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on catering on AeroMexico during Covid-19 and onward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Just flew CUN-MEX on 737-800 in J in biz class, was worse then basic economy.

*VERY VERY last people to board, i mean they wouldn't let the 3 business class passengers board until literally every single other person was last on the plane.
*"Catering" - A pre-packed bag of peanuts, and a drink, exactly what was served in economy as well. Usually first class has whiskey available whereas economy doesn't but not that day.

Considering I had no bags to check, I guess the only nice thing was the more spacious seat, and footrest and first to deplane, and a slightly larger screen though I didn't really use it.

Honestly the thing about AM for shorthaul, is their Y product is actually pretty good, you usually get some food or snacks, even on the shortest of flights, alcohol is always included. Even better now that volaris and vivaaerobus are charging for carryon bags, AM still gives you a free "real" carry on (not just personal item), even in Basic economy. If I had booked basic economy I would have saved $70 bucks gotten the same catering and been first to board. Basic economy is esp attractive on regional jets as you know you won't get a middle seat. However their J product, esp on shorthauls is consistently terrible.

AM business class is essentially the same as Spirit Airs big front seat, you're getting the larger seat and a 2 bags thats it, this has become especially true during covid times. If you're ok with that go for it.

Also don't fall for AM's bs marketing of "free flight changes" what they are doing is increidbly unethical saying main economy and up you have "1 free change" but you can only "change it " to some ridiculous non-existent fares that are 3x the price of buying a new ticket. Im pretty sure if it was a US company that would not hold up in court.

p.s. random side note: For all you AV geeks, Aeromexico is currently flying their 787-8 between CUN and MEX on different schedules, i've seen the tix as cheap as $85 one way for the 2 hour flight w/ tax, so if you were curious you could do layflat from CUN to MEX. Going west the flight with taxi and takeoff can take over 2.5 hours. However, I wouldn't expect much on the catering front.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Mar 5, 2021 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Iam impressed , i would never book an AM flight for any further than 3 weeks ahead of departure because it is gambling

also you were lucky to be flexible and find a new booking from PRG directly from AM at a normal price

iam happy for you

oh yes sorry we spoke about it already
Forget 3 weeks, I wouldn't book until 3 days out.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by 747jetter
I believed in AM...their MAD route would operate until they would go bust and I believed the gov will give them funds (and I think they already did). I am happy we were able to fly on a short notice and Brazil was so relaxed against what we have in Czechia now...Once I recover fro C19 I will definitely try to find ways back.
Just fyi, the Mexican government did not give a single cent to AM, it was all provided by Apollo via the Ch 11 process.

This means that THANKFULLY their board and C-suite will get kicked in the rear and replaced by hard working, customer oriented American executives. Service should hopefully improve, right now they are worse than Air Koryo.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sassybritches
Just bought a premier ticket. The site said meal service but I have a feeling that once again Aeromexico is false advertising. Am I correct?
I wouldn’t count on it especially with your trip originating in an out station it’s hard to know what the catering situation for AM is in ORD. Unless they are double catering the flight for the turn. Also it may depend on when you are flying this ticket. I haven’t seen any data points that suggest that AM has brought back regular meals on shorter routes yet. It’s back to normal on AM long haul flights however...
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PointsPanda
Just flew CUN-MEX on 737-800 in J in biz class, was worse then basic economy.

*VERY VERY last people to board, i mean they wouldn't let the 3 business class passengers board until literally every single other person was last on the plane.
*"Catering" - A pre-packed bag of peanuts, and a drink, exactly what was served in economy as well. Usually first class has whiskey available whereas economy doesn't but not that day.

Considering I had no bags to check, I guess the only nice thing was the more spacious seat, and footrest and first to deplane, and a slightly larger screen though I didn't really use it.

Honestly the thing about AM for shorthaul, is their Y product is actually pretty good, you usually get some food or snacks, even on the shortest of flights, alcohol is always included. Even better now that volaris and vivaaerobus are charging for carryon bags, AM still gives you a free "real" carry on (not just personal item), even in Basic economy. If I had booked basic economy I would have saved $70 bucks gotten the same catering and been first to board. Basic economy is esp attractive on regional jets as you know you won't get a middle seat. However their J product, esp on shorthauls is consistently terrible.

AM business class is essentially the same as Spirit Airs big front seat, you're getting the larger seat and a 2 bags thats it, this has become especially true during covid times. If you're ok with that go for it.

Also don't fall for AM's bs marketing of "free flight changes" what they are doing is increidbly unethical saying main economy and up you have "1 free change" but you can only "change it " to some ridiculous non-existent fares that are 3x the price of buying a new ticket. Im pretty sure if it was a US company that would not hold up in court.

p.s. random side note: For all you AV geeks, Aeromexico is currently flying their 787-8 between CUN and MEX on different schedules, i've seen the tix as cheap as $85 one way for the 2 hour flight w/ tax, so if you were curious you could do layflat from CUN to MEX. Going west the flight with taxi and takeoff can take over 2.5 hours. However, I wouldn't expect much on the catering front.
Not sure why you have your high expectations of AM domestic flights.
It was well explained on AM's website pre-covid, that their domestic flights only serve drinks(+peanuts), and no food in both economy and business class. CUN - MEX is a domestic flight.
As far as the J seats on narrow bodies (737), they are similiar to the domestic first class seats on narrow body aircrafts of the 3 legacy U.S. carriers, not better and not worse. I've never flown on Spirit so I can't compare.

Enjoy your AM peanuts.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:50 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not even Dr. Seuss would serve that package!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not even Dr. Seuss would serve that package!
Excuse me? you are hungry? No worries, you can have two packs of peanuts.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 6, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Crastonts
Service should hopefully improve, right now they are worse than Air Koryo.
Service on long haul is very impressive nowadays.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Any updates? I'll be flying again ord-mex. It's a late afternoon flight 330pm out of ord.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:30 pm
Suspended

I just saw on the Twitters AM is resuming all food and beverage in F. Has anyone gotten the chance to try it out? I have ord-mex in a couple weeks in F.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Flew out MEX-JFK business class 4/11...they had full meal service on offer. They also have stopped blocking off seats - my flight was full.
At time of booking they had said it would be a 787 (which is why I chose the flight), but they changed it with 4 weeks to go to a 737Max

It was breakfast service - choice between hotcakes and a quiche like entree with potatoes for crust (I forget the name). I had the quiche, it was good.
They were also serving beer at 8:30 in the morning, for those who like that sort of thing.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sassybritches
I just saw on the Twitters AM is resuming all food and beverage in F. Has anyone gotten the chance to try it out? I have ord-mex in a couple weeks in F.
I can see that you are not a frequent flyer on AM. There is no F (first) class on AM.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mama
I can see that you are not a frequent flyer on AM. There is no F (first) class on AM.
True that it is marketed as a Business cabina, but the brand name is Clase Premier, which is almost the word for "First." Accordingly, I can understand that a non-Spanish speaker might think it is F, notwithstanding the fact that the narrowbody cabin seats are much better than Domestic USA F, and light years ahead of Euro-business.
sassybritches likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flew AM SFO-MEX 4/9 and MEX-SFO recently in J. Confirming both had full meal service.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Tasty salad of mixed greens, carrots and cheese, a yummy cheesecake ( but not as good as my husbands lol) and pasta alfredo with a butt load of yummy cheese. This was my dinner 4/19 ord-mex There was pdb of water and oj with one pass of the snack basket. The wine was absolutely horrible. Couple sips and that was enough.
Carfield and atcanobbio like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.