Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico refuses to refund, any guidance?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Disputed 30 days ago, resolved today. Not disclosing the credit card to prevent any issues.
Thanks, I'm waiting on Amex to adjudicate my dispute, so just gathering data on other people's processes. Completely understood about not naming the card. I filed my dispute initially on March 14, but I think the process may have been restarted due to an incorrect problem code on my initial submission (probably my fault). Glad you were able to get your funds back. Agreed on the good riddance part.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:50 am
Suspended

When the COVID-19 problem is over, people will come back to Aeromexico if the price is right. I don't think Aeromexico or any other airlines expect loyalty from customers, especially from those who only fly with them occasionally and only on the basis of cheaper price.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mama
When the COVID-19 problem is over, people will come back to Aeromexico if the price is right. I don't think Aeromexico or any other airlines expect loyalty from customers, especially from those who only fly with them occasionally and only on the basis of cheaper price.
If that were the case then frequent flyer and loyalty programs wouldn't exist nor would flyertalk. I think many people choose companies based upon how they treat customers and AM has done a very poor job.
angra likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:09 am
Suspended

If that were the case then frequent flyer and loyalty programs wouldn't exist nor would flyertalk. I think many people choose companies based upon how they treat customers and AM has done a very poor job.
I was referring to those customers who fly only occasionally and/or buy tickets based on lowest available fare of any airlines.
Did you buy this AM ticket because of their reputable service? I think not.
Are you an AM frequent flyer, in their loyalty program, top-tier? I think not.
Frequent flyer program exists for a reason, and if you are not in the program, the reason does not apply to you.
It's perfectly fine that you don't want to fly AM in the future. There are plenty of complaints on other airlines too, you can read them on FlyerTalk.

Last edited by Mama; May 7, 2020 at 6:21 am
Old May 7, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Mama
I was referring to those customers who fly only occasionally and/or buy tickets based on lowest available fare of any airlines.
Did you buy this AM ticket because of their reputable service? I think not.
Are you an AM frequent flyer, in their loyalty program, top-tier? I think not.
Frequent flyer program exists for a reason, and if you are not in the program, the reason does not apply to you.
It's perfectly fine that you don't want to fly AM in the future. There are plenty of complaints on other airlines too, you can read them on FlyerTalk.
Brilliant response? I think not.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Brilliant response? I think not.
Thank you for reading and responding.
I am glad I have shared with you a different point of view.

Last edited by Mama; May 7, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old May 7, 2020, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The post-Covid world will see the key customer -- enterprise, e.g. corporate -- focus on price in what is likely to be a very, very tough next 24-36 months. Large enterprises tend not to have trouble enforcing refunds because they have market power. I don't think that air carrier conduct during this time will affect AM or other carriers 6 months from now.
Mama likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I had 2 trips on AM which I booked last November, JFK-MEX-UIO-MEX-JFK on 6/1-2 booked through LatinOFare and 6/8-9 booked through Cheapoair. Both cancelled on 5/25.
LatinOFare sent an email notifying me of the cancellation and telling me that I would get a credit on AM less Latinoair's fees. No refund option was offered.
Cheapoair sent an email notifying me of the cancellation and telling me that AM wasn't issuing refunds (which was also stated on Cheapoair's website) and that I would get a credit from AM. Cheapoair had billed their fees separately.

I attempted to contact AM and finally got through on their chat system. When the rep saw that I was asking for refunds, he asked me for all sorts of details and then 10 seconds later said that he was disconnecting since I hadn't answered. I got the transcript for my records.

The transactions were all charged to my AMEX Platinum CC. I was travelling and didn't have an opportunity to call AMEX to request a chargeback until Thursday evening. I reviewed all of the information with the representative and provided all of the details verbally. I received full credits from AMEX which posted on Sunday.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I had 2 trips on AM which I booked last November, JFK-MEX-UIO-MEX-JFK on 6/1-2 booked through LatinOFare and 6/8-9 booked through Cheapoair. Both cancelled on 5/25.
LatinOFare sent an email notifying me of the cancellation and telling me that I would get a credit on AM less Latinoair's fees. No refund option was offered.
Cheapoair sent an email notifying me of the cancellation and telling me that AM wasn't issuing refunds (which was also stated on Cheapoair's website) and that I would get a credit from AM. Cheapoair had billed their fees separately.

I attempted to contact AM and finally got through on their chat system. When the rep saw that I was asking for refunds, he asked me for all sorts of details and then 10 seconds later said that he was disconnecting since I hadn't answered. I got the transcript for my records.

The transactions were all charged to my AMEX Platinum CC. I was travelling and didn't have an opportunity to call AMEX to request a chargeback until Thursday evening. I reviewed all of the information with the representative and provided all of the details verbally. I received full credits from AMEX which posted on Sunday.
Good for you! AM has been exploiting the pandemic for their own financial gain and need to comply with the full refund of charges for services not provided.
angra likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Good for you! AM has been exploiting the pandemic for their own financial gain and need to comply with the full refund of charges for services not provided.
I also filed DOT Complaints.
Old May 30, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I also filed DOT Complaints.
It's the principle....

Was booked on AM MEX-GRU flight cancelled due to ongoing situation in Brazil. Paid for an advance preferred seat, absolutely steadfast on not refunding this ancillary service, even though the booking was involuntarily cancelled with no prospects of a future booking. Any recourse with AMEX?
Old May 30, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
I was booked on AM, Tijuana to Medellin in mid-June. Of course it was canceled. AM said no refunds but you can book a new ticket. My reply was no thank you, event was cancelled and AM is not a carrier I usually fly so a credit is worthless. A complication is I paid for half of the ticket with a credit card and half with points. Thanks to the above info I called my credit card and started the chargeback process for the credit card portion. Once that happens (fingers crossed) I'll attempt to get my points back.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It's the principle....

Was booked on AM MEX-GRU flight cancelled due to ongoing situation in Brazil. Paid for an advance preferred seat, absolutely steadfast on not refunding this ancillary service, even though the booking was involuntarily cancelled with no prospects of a future booking. Any recourse with AMEX?
The flight isn't from the US so DOT regulations don't apply. You may be out of luck because of that.

If you're wiling to invest a little time and effort AMEX is very good about airline chargebacks but you need to have all of the information at hand when you call them. Start with the record of your notification. That proves that you didn't cancel, the airline did. If you booked with a TA or OTA (doesn't sound like you did) the next step is to go to them for the refund. They should have notified you of the cancellation options and your refund vs future credit options.If they've told, in writing,that no refunds are an option , you've got enough information from them. The contact AM via Chat from their main web page. It'll take you a while to get through. Have your initial message prepared and ready to paste into the chat box. State that they cancelled the flight and that you're entitled to a refund. Then include all of the flight info. Record Locator, ticket number, flight numbers, routes, times. Traveller info - name, DOB. Theyll find a reason to disconnect. Then email a copy of the chat to yourself. Next go to your AMEX statements on line and print the details of each charge that you're disputing. Now you're ready to call AMEX. To get through their automated system quickly start with the reason for call is Chargeback and then at every prompt state Representative. My flights were charged to an AMEX Platinum (provided by my Investment firm) and AMEX treats us very well

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
I was booked on AM, Tijuana to Medellin in mid-June. Of course it was canceled. AM said no refunds but you can book a new ticket. My reply was no thank you, event was cancelled and AM is not a carrier I usually fly so a credit is worthless. A complication is I paid for half of the ticket with a credit card and half with points. Thanks to the above info I called my credit card and started the chargeback process for the credit card portion. Once that happens (fingers crossed) I'll attempt to get my points back.
Good luck. Again, the flight doesn't involve the US as an origin or destination so DOT regulations don't apply.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:35 am

The flight isn't from the US so DOT regulations don't apply. You may be out of luck because of that.
It's actually from, to, or within but a complaint can still be lodged and tracked as part of greedy attempt by AM to scam their passengers.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Unfortunately, I have seen _many_ reports of Amex siding with carriers regarding cancelled flights, and very few reports of succesfully adjudicated disputes. I would not count on Amex as a backstop.

Note that the montreal convention allows you to bring suit in a court of any jurisdiction in which AM operates, so a small claims suit might be necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.