Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aeromexico 777-200 retirements?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
aeromexico 777-200 retirements?

I'm a glutton for punishment and fly the not-so-pleasant Aeromexico 777-200s in Clase Premier to South America quite often. It's largely due to an unhealthy long term relationship with GOL Clube Smiles as well as the cheapo fares.

Anyway, it looks like there are only three left, but I can't find a single definitive-ish thing online about when they're going to be retired. Does anyone here have more information?

I'm trucking along but it would be great to know if there is hope in sight.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:02 pm

They should all be gone by early 2018.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:12 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
In this article:
http://airlines.iata.org/ceo-intervi...esa-aeromexico

the CEO is quoted as saying the airline will have only 3 aircraft types (190/737/787) by the end of the year.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
How bad is it? I'm slated to fly in J on a 777 from MEX-EZE in August.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...o-mex-eze.html

I just posted a trip report which includes a very recent 777 experience.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: DL-PM
Hey Eastbay, since you know this bird well enough, if row 1 is taken, would you take 6 A/B or 2, 3, 4 or even 5 A/B (or G/J) for a couple traveling together?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:50 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by emancj
Hey Eastbay, since you know this bird well enough, if row 1 is taken, would you take 6 A/B or 2, 3, 4 or even 5 A/B (or G/J) for a couple traveling together?
Avoid row 6. Its right by the lavs.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:57 am

It's two of us flying... Other than row 6, my choices are row 7 which is totally empty, but with almost guaranteed no choice of a meal, right? Or grabbing 2 seats in the middle section in the front cabin, and praying for the other seat to stay empty, or most likely have an awkward row partner. All other "pairs" are gone. Any suggestions?

I only flew on these once, and it was a short TIJ-MEX. They were brand new then, and they were the ones AM got straight from Boeing. I hear the ex-Varig ones are awful?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Well enough?" I've been on it twice. I was so shellshocked that I have some PTSD related amnesia.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:33 am

Drats. That doesn't help. On the other hand I've been told out of the 3 remaining 2 are the ones delivered to AM from Boeing, and only one is the ex-Varig.

Still.I'll keep checking to see if anything changes.

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:26 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Drats. That doesn't help. On the other hand I've been told out of the 3 remaining 2 are the ones delivered to AM from Boeing, and only one is the ex-Varig.

Still.I'll keep checking to see if anything changes.

Thanks!
I flew a roundtrip MEX-EZE over the last week on these birds and the two cabins were different, so I guess I had both versions -- not sure which was which. Seats were identical between the two. One aircraft had two lavs in the front plus two lavs at door 2, for a generous total of 4 lavs in J, while the other only had 2 lavs at door 2 for J (as far as I could tell). The one with 4 lavs had a ridiculous amount of extra space in front of row 1, where I was seated, but unless you wanted to have a large dog lying in front of you or something, it was otherwise wasted space since the slightly more constrained 2 lav config still had enough space at row 1 to fully recline.

In any case, row 6 is very close to the lavs in either config.

If you still have the choice, I'd probably go for any remaining pair by the windows, even if it means no choice of meal. The seats are pretty tight, and not ideal for traveling next to a stranger, but fine enough for a couple if sitting by the windows. And I don't know what routes you're flying but the EZE-MEX flight is very easy to sleep the entire time and not have a meal anyway (or if you are having the meal, presumably you have a choice of meals even near the back since many others sleep through it).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
I And I don't know what routes you're flying but the EZE-MEX flight is very easy to sleep the entire time and not have a meal anyway (or if you are having the meal, presumably you have a choice of meals even near the back since many others sleep through it).
Lucky you can sleep in those seats.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:26 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Lucky you can sleep in those seats.
True enough. Though even if you can't, I imagine there will usually be enough other people on those night flights who manage to get to bed (and/or who ate before boarding and thus don't want to eat again even if they're awake) that your chances of getting your choice of meals at the back of the cabin would still be pretty good.

And the AM 777s are not long for this world, so soon enough this will only be a matter for history. Well, on AM at least. AR manages to have an even significantly worse angled-lie-flat seat, if you can believe it (featuring no privacy dividers whatsoever between the narrow 2-2-2 seats on an A330, and on some aircraft no "footflap" at the end of the legrest to give you something to prop up against while sleeping), which is not slated to go away any time soon.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
My recent GRU-MEX flight (which was subject to several days of 13+ hour southbound and 4+ hour northbound delays) was made tolerable by the excessively late departure and empty cabin that allowed me to make a fort out of half dozen extra pillows and a few bonus blankets.

I'm done with this bird assuming my 787-9 in February doesn't more into an extended life 777....
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Recently flew MEX-EZE RT in J. The aircraft down was a 777 and was not fun - non lie-flat seat, poor IFE, and less than stellar food. And, so, I wasn't looking forward to the return flight. However, surprise, surprise! For whatever reason, the 777 was replaced with a 787!! The difference was like night and day - great lie flat seats, excellent IFE, and somewhat improved cuisine! And I was able to get 5-6 hours of sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.