Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough time for connection in SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Enough time for connection in SCL?

I'm not sure where this goes but I am flying to Easter Island in July with a stopover on the way back in Santiago, Chile. The flight is scheduled to get in at 7:45 pm. I wanted to book a flight to Buenos Aires that departs at 8:55pm.

Do you think that is too close?
Is SCL large in case terminals are not close?
Would LAN be able to check my flight through if my ticket is with another airline?
Also, we will be flying out of SCL on LAN Business, do we have access to the lounge?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:22 pm

no, no maybe and yes.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you think that is too close?

Yes. Domestic to Int'l requires you going through exit formalities, unless the IPC flights have special handling. I wouldn't like that connection time.
Is SCL large in case terminals are not close?
SCL is a fairly compact airport.
Would LAN be able to check my flight through if my ticket is with another airline?
Probably - they have interline baggage agreements with most.
Also, we will be flying out of SCL on LAN Business, do we have access to the lounge?
Confused. You said you are flying out LAN Business but you have a connecting ticket with another airline. If you are outbound int'l LAN in Business, you can visit the Neruda or Mistral lounges.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:25 pm

IPC Flights do have special handling, but even if you needed to re check-in, go through inm. and sec. I think 1:10 is enough.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Hmm...so 2 of you think the connection time is fine and 1 doesn't. I think I need a bigger sample size!

I could potentially book the next morning and stay in Santiago for a night but then that only leaves 3 nights in BA. I wonder if that's enough time to make it worthwhile. The flight I looked at is on Aerolineas Argentinas and I'm not sure what they would do if we missed our flight.

We initially planned on doing 4 nights in Santiago and Valparaiso after IPC but recently I got excited about adding BA, as we've always wanted to go but I'm debating if it's worth the extra travel time and hassles. I will be in Santiago for about 28 hours before going to Easter Island so I figured that would give us a quick sense of the city and I'm hearing that BA has more to offer. I suppose that we could do Valparaiso and Vina del Mar instead. Decisions Decisions.

As for the lounge question, that applies to our flight out of SCL, after the potential BA roundtrip, back to the states via LIM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
What exactly is the special handling at IPC? Is exit immigrations handled in IPC? Does the flight from IPC land at the international terminal at SCL and do they allow passengers to go directly into international transit? Does Aerolineas have an interline agreement with LAN?

If there is a NO answer to the above and if one thing goes wrong in between the two flights, then you are cutting it close. Consider the consequences of having to deal with the wonderful staff at Aerolineas to help you out.

Also remember that if you have to go through outgoing immigrations at SCL, it will be during the evening rush of passengers making the late night flights to the States, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

It's looking like 50-50. I think even if I do make it, I will be worried about it the whole time leading up to the connection and that won't be fun so I either need to fly out the next day or scrap BA altogether and hope to get there some other time.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would seriously reconsider flying on AR for any reason. The good news, if you do, is that you likely will be delayed.

In any event, this is an alternate suggestion that won't eat much into your BA time, should you decide to go. Spend the night at the Holiday Inn @ SCL. You wouldn't get into AEP until nearly midnight with your current plans (if AR miraculously departs on time). Add time for luggage and getting to your hotel - you won't be in bed until 1 to 2 AM (unless you were first going to head out to a club at that hour).

If you spend the night at the SCL hotel, you can get a full night's sleep, get up early, fly to AEP/EZE and be there in time for a nice lunch.

In the unfortunate event that you choose not to fly a functional airline, please allow at least 4 hours connection @ SCL on your return. I frequently see a lot of delayed/canceled AR flights on both the SCL and EZE screens. If the event that you choose to fly a more functional airline (i.e., the same one connecting to your LIM flight) a 1:30 connection time is more than enough, but more is fine, as the Neruda lounge has a decent spread of wine/spirits and food.

ps - are you on LAN's new LIM/SFO service?
pps - when are you traveling? LAN is notorious for many schedule changes out in advance, so a separate ticket on another carrier is risky.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
pps - when are you traveling? LAN is notorious for many schedule changes out in advance, so a separate ticket on another carrier is risky.
Duh. You said July. Both places can be very cold. I wouldn't personally plan a Viña/Valpo trip for July other than maybe just for a day. Think central California weather for central Chile - and July is early winter. It won't freeze, but when a cold storm passes through there may be snow on the hills. Santiago can also get a nasty winter inversion layer. There are also pleasant winter days. (Notwithstanding this, I'll be there in a few weeks ). Buenos Aires can also be cold and quite windy in July. On the other hand, it can be pleasant. Last July when I was there, it was downright nasty @ arrival. 3 days later, it was pleasant. (Notwithstanding this, I'll be there in a month ) Maybe you will be on one of my flights!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I am doing SFO-LIM in Business and am very excited about that part. I used BA miles from the recent 100K signup bonus.

I do realize it might be chilly but we live in SF and can deal with that plus my wife's a teacher and summer is the only time to get extended time off. I would only do Valp/Vina for a day or two. Should I try to do that on the first 28 hour stop instead of doing Santiago? I did think of the Holiday Inn airport although it's not the cheapest (relatively). I am doing SFO-LIM on Jul 12 then down to SCL on 24th, to IPC on 25th and back to SCL on 28th. Flying back to SFO via LIM from SCL on 8/1.

The return from BA would give 4 hours so hopefully that would be enough.

From 28th-1st I currently have 2 nights in Santiago, 1 night in Casablanca (wine) and 1 night in Valpo. That would be replaced by BA.

I've changed this trip so many times and it's getting down to the wire now!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A-Game
From 28th-1st I currently have 2 nights in Santiago, 1 night in Casablanca (wine) and 1 night in Valpo. That would be replaced by BA.

I've changed this trip so many times and it's getting down to the wire now!
You can have a perfectly nice time with a 3 night trip to BA. Don't forget you're going to be dinged $131 per person to enter Argentina. But looking at what you already have planned, I'd just stay in Chile. And seriously, don't fly AR, no matter how cheap, unless it is the only airline that services a route.

I'd only recommend the HI at SCL if you have a 12 hour overnight connection time or similar.

Spending a few winter nights in Santiago give you the opportunity of having some clear weather, and some absolutely magnificent mountain views. And, of course, the empanadas are better than in Argentina (... runs ducking). And of course, the Pisco Sours are non-existent in Argentina.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Don't forget you're going to be dinged $131 per person to enter Argentina.
At EZE not AEP. Also better to fly in and out of AEP because it is close to the BA city center.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
At EZE not AEP. Also better to fly in and out of AEP because it is close to the BA city center.
My bad. If they are on AR, it is 100% AEP now. Won't be an issue because they will be staying in Chile - probably stopping by your place for una copa
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I didn't realize AR was that bad...yet another factor in the equation. LAN flies to AEP as well but it's more expensive, maybe I can see if they have miles flights available. Besides wanting to check out BA, I was trying to maximize a couple of free Hyatt nights at the Park Hyatt there. I'll report back with the final decision.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A-Game
I didn't realize AR was that bad...yet another factor in the equation. LAN flies to AEP as well but it's more expensive, maybe I can see if they have miles flights available. Besides wanting to check out BA, I was trying to maximize a couple of free Hyatt nights at the Park Hyatt there. I'll report back with the final decision.
AR is atrocious, when it comes to getting where you want to go on the day that you planned on getting there. It is in a different class of bad than when you hear "UA Sucks" or "I'm never flying US again" or "I hate DL".

There are various ways to pay less for your LAN flight - such as if you purchase it from a Chile point of sale - if you search around on FT you can find these options. I believe the South America airpass requires 3 segments (and you would otherwise qualify, as you are flying into Chile on LA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.