Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Expectations if flying SAA / Delta to South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2001, 8:23 am
Original Poster

If you are flying SAA home to South africa over the holidays, and have spent mucho $ on a premium seat and are expecting the seating shown in the ad's and flyers Delta/ SAA have been sending .. be prepared to be dissapointed.

It seems that most of the planes they are sending to North America do NOT have the new seating and you will be welcomed by the same old sub-standard product.

(see this link for what they are advertising)

http://www.flysaa.com/in_flight_info......_cabin.html )

And if you try to find out what days they do fly the refurbished equipment no-one at saa or delta can tell you.

Just thought someone out there might want to know.

Ons gaan huistoe!!!!

Old Nov 28, 2001, 8:28 am

and i wouldn't hold my breath about when they will put the seat in.

just flew back biz class last sunday from jnb. same old uncomfortable seats.

they've apparently installed the seats on the london run from sa (which has competition from virgin and british airways). since there is no competition to the usa, i'm sure they have little incentive to bring out the product any time soon.

suggest you consider flying to sa via london which really is not too bad a way to go.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Did the CPT route last week also got the old seats... the new ones on the outbound were FAB.

Trying to get them to tell me what equipment willbe operating on my next trip in 3 weeks... they will or cannot tell me....

Old Jan 3, 2002, 12:43 pm

Interesting on the new SAA seats. We flew SAA long ago in First and I liked the (old) seats, but there is def. need for improvement. I hate it when an airline only upgrades their services due to competition.
The flights to the US are LONG and to not provide the new seats is unacceptable.
If competition is the reason, then they need to upgrade to all cities in Europe, as they compete with LH, AF, SR, etc(with LH having a nice first class)., and to Hong Kong and Australia, again, CX and QF as competitors. I am flying to SA via HKG on CX, a much superior product. SAA will have to compete with CX and SQ!

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 16, 2002, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
ATL-JNB on 3 FEB: Old Seats

JNB-ATL on 11 FEB: New seats (despite being told the day before on the phone by an agent that this configuration was ONLY being flown to London).
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

There are 2 versions of the new configuration.
- Lie flat seats in Business ( only on the london flights from JNB
- 50" pitch on every other ATL flight.

SAA willnot complete the refurbishment of the 8 747-400's untill August of this year.

Its a disgrace that they advertise new seats onthe website,and only offer the service on limited flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.