Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Lambda to begin flights between Tel Aviv, New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2000, 9:54 am
Original Poster

(June 1) - Lambda World Inc. has expanded its agreement with World Airways Inc. to include non-stop flights between New York's JFK Airport and Ben-Gurion International Airport. The flights to Israel are scheduled to operate every Sunday and Tuesday from July 2 through October 30, while planes flying to New York will take off from Ben-Gurion every Tuesday and Thursday during that period.

"The shutdown of Tower Air's scheduled service last month to Tel Aviv has put passengers in this market in an untenable situation just before the peak summer travel. We are very pleased to respond to their requests," Chris T. Dimitriyadi, president and CEO of Lambda World, said in a statement. The airline, which will offer kosher meals, as well as pre-reserved mehadrin kosher service on its flights to Tel Aviv, will use planes with a 409-seat capacity.

anyone ever heard of these people?
Old Jun 1, 2000, 11:46 am
Suspended

never heard of them,maybe its Tower trying to hide itself and protect itself.Seems it'll charters and in the peak season only(Tower said they will remain flying for the govt and charters) Also as for World they were flying EWR-TLV a number of yrs ago after fighting to get into TLV for a long time,not much later they did a Tower before Tower gave up on reg service leaving people w/o a way home all over the place. IMHO,these two really belong together only why dont they just leave the flying public alone>I'd be getting on an AirFlorida,Eastern.Braniff,PeoplesExpress etc flight before I get onto a Tower-World-or Lambda plane.
Old Jun 1, 2000, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I once flew Tower JFK-MIA and it wasn't that bad. Maybe I just got lucky. The website for Lambda is:
http://www.lambdaworld.com
Old Jun 2, 2000, 8:16 am

I know that elal are using the WORLD Airways MD11s in the summer on the line - TLV-JFK/EWR.
If you look in ElAl's online schedule you can find some of the flights with the MD11. ElAl operate a pure Boeing fleet(Although MD11 is now Boeing) and the palne is not a part of their fleet. As far as I know World Airways has 2 of them.
Old Jun 2, 2000, 9:48 am
Suspended

apirchick, if in fact LY will be using MD-11s it'll be the first time.The difference is they will probably be leasing them and use their own crews etc so it wouldnt be as if you could buy a tkt on World Airways nor will World be gaining anything except for the lease payments. The story with Lambda ibnt clear ,WHO ARE THEY? It seems to me as if its Tower in disquise and maybe in together w/World. Which is not the case w/LY(ELAL).ELAL I dont fly but would Lambda+ NO WAY DO I GET ON.
Old Jun 3, 2000, 4:27 am

It is not the 1st time. Last year they did the same. I know that LY are leasing World's MD11s with their pilots(because LY don't have MD11 pilots), I don't know about the rest of the crew.
I once said that even if they pay me hundreds of $$$ I will not get on a Tower plane. Since we don't know who Lambda is, I guess this will count for them also for now.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 3:39 pm
Suspended

just got into NY spoke w/a travel agent friend, he said Lambda is WORLD,and that Tower is suppose to start upm again as charters in July. To me you can keep them both and if anyone is nuts to buy make sure its on a CC for protection. Seems people were able to get CO for $499 r/t EWR-TLV for Rosh Hashanah time till a bunch of agents heard and got CO to stop it.It was via PriceLine and over 400 people were able to get them b4 CO pulled it.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 3:40 am

That makes sense about Lambda - World is not oprating as an airline anymore. Tower might have a problem getting into the market again because of the loud exit they made. they might not get the license from Israel's authoritys. Arkia(Israel's largest charter airline) are supposed to start oprating charters to the states too. currently they are flying to europe and egypt only.
Old Feb 21, 2001, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Lambda is advertising on their website $499 R/T, has anyone flown these people yet?
http://www.lambdaworld.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.