Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

ben gurion ?--how are prices and shopping at airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:51 am
Original Poster

are there are good deals, bargains at duty free in Ben gurion--or are we better off buying in N America?

if you morve this question--sorry i didn't really know where to put it
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by haniboo
are there are good deals, bargains at duty free in Ben gurion--or are we better off buying in N America?

if you morve this question--sorry i didn't really know where to put it
If you have never been to the new terminal 3 you are in for a shock as pertains to duty free shopping. We cynics here call the whole setup a shopping mall with an aiport attached to it.
Everything imaginable is available in tens of shops. Prices are much cheaper then in the shops around Israel but compared to your home base it is hard to say since you didn't mention where you are from
Electronics are still probably cheaper in the big discount centers of NY or LA
There are always sales on perfume, alcohol and cosmetics etc
Israelis always leave an hour or two before departure just to go shopping and come with lists from friends and family
Enjoy the experience. You are sure to find someting you like
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:07 am

TLV duty free (Alcohol, Cigarettes) is cheaper compared to N. America and most airports in Europe and much more expensive compared to the far east and Middle East airports (like Dubai). Clothing and parfumes are margional compared to street prices in Israel - in some cases it would be cheaper to buy parfumes in one of the shopping malls in Israel than in the duty free.

Here are links to James Richardson (Alcohol, parfumes and cigarettes) and Sakal (sports, toys and electronics)
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:31 am

If you fly LY, here is a link to their duty free which might have better individual deals that TLV.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
there are 2 CD stores in the airport, the one outside security is pretty cheap and you can get good deals on CDs there. the one inside is good to but not as cheap.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

it has been about a year since we flew out of terminal 3, and i just couldn't remember how prices compared to US or city streets in israel. it is fun to shop, either way. thanks for the comments.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The prices on scotch SUCK compared to JFK and EWR. Don't buy scotch in TLV unless its for convienience (leaving it there to pick up when you get back).
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Just a tangential comment for those who care - I used to buy a lot of Elite chocolate at the airport when heading back to the U.S., instead of getting it at grocery stores. They used to have really big, bulk containers of multiple, large bars, etc.

After scouring the stores in the new terminal in April and July, however, I found a very small representation of Elite products (and no bulk packages), while most of what they were selling was chocolate from Europe. (Perhaps that makes sense since Israelis can buy chocolate at home, and might prefer something European at the airport.)
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
The prices on scotch SUCK compared to JFK and EWR. Don't buy scotch in TLV unless its for convienience (leaving it there to pick up when you get back).
I do agree (although I am comparing with London and not USA). However, they occasionally have special offers which can be remarkably cheap.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In general I do not find good prices at all at the airport. Here is some data:

some hi end creams and soaps. $50, is $25 in US department stores. (sure they have buy 3 get 1 free in perpetuity just proving their hi prices)

cheapest wine is $19 (when I want to bring an IL gift abroad) good wines much cheaper in IL supermarkets

Bought levi jeans for 250NIS in mashbir $99 at airport

Tissot watch ~$800 bought for $500 in US (watches that I checked were even all above MSRP)

sony P900 smart phone $999 in us $600

things that might be OK is non-wine booze and running shoes on deals.

the days when Israelis would save 10 years to go abroad are over but the duty-free thing still lingers I guess

I don't buy cigarettes
Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:26 pm

are there any other airports that let you leave your purchase in the airpirt like TLV does?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound
cheapest wine is $19 (when I want to bring an IL gift abroad) good wines much cheaper in IL supermarkets
Just like elsewhere around the world you have $5 bottles and $100 bottles. Those you find at the grocery stores are the $5-10 ones (usually up to NIS 100 - some of which are quite good but still cheap). At the airport you will find the more expensive boutique wineries and special series of the big wineries. The wine shop at TLV is actually quite impressive and a good bargain on most of the upscale wines (compared to upscale wine shops in Israel - no to supermarkets).

Tissot watch ~$800 bought for $500 in US (watches that I checked were even all above MSRP)

sony P900 smart phone $999 in us $600
Electronics are indeed much more expensive that street and internet prices, even in Israel.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Ive Never found TLV to be of any bargain what so ever, Unless you are buying 3 so that you get the 4th free. But then its the cheapest which is free so buy 3 Wines at $25 and 1 at $15 the $15 is free. Buy less then 3 then its cheaper to buy it in the City and pay the VAT.

also by buying it in the City you can pack it in your checked muggage and not have to schelp it onto and off the plane. Bottles are heavy and if travelling alone not easy to get all 4 into ones carry on and past Customs.

As for Scotch the cheapest I found was recently in SAL (El Salvador) and SJO ( Costa Rica) its usually 750ml but it ends up less per liter. Eg Glenlivet was $21 for a 750 so a liter will be 750 by 3 = 250 x 4 = 1 liter, = 21 by 3 = 7 x 4 = $28 a liter. The cheapest I saw a Liter for in EWR was $35 in TLV its 2 for $79.90 , JFK if the sale is on its 2 liters for $60 and then I have to schelp it down there and back to NY.

Ive never found any Scotch or Perfume when Buying just 1 or even 2 that is cheaper in TLV then in NY with paying the tax.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Ive Never found TLV to be of any bargain what so ever, Unless you are buying 3 so that you get the 4th free. But then its the cheapest which is free so buy 3 Wines at $25 and 1 at $15 the $15 is free. Buy less then 3 then its cheaper to buy it in the City and pay the VAT.

also by buying it in the City you can pack it in your checked muggage and not have to schelp it onto and off the plane. Bottles are heavy and if travelling alone not easy to get all 4 into ones carry on and past Customs.

As for Scotch the cheapest I found was recently in SAL (El Salvador) and SJO ( Costa Rica) its usually 750ml but it ends up less per liter. Eg Glenlivet was $21 for a 750 so a liter will be 750 by 3 = 250 x 4 = 1 liter, = 21 by 3 = 7 x 4 = $28 a liter. The cheapest I saw a Liter for in EWR was $35 in TLV its 2 for $79.90 , JFK if the sale is on its 2 liters for $60 and then I have to schelp it down there and back to NY.
bit for the locals its a great deal!
Ive never found any Scotch or Perfume when Buying just 1 or even 2 that is cheaper in TLV then in NY with paying the tax.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by azmmza
are there any other airports that let you leave your purchase in the airpirt like TLV does?
I believe in GIG I saw DF pick up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.