Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

ben gurion ?--how are prices and shopping at airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ben gurion ?--how are prices and shopping at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by azmmza
are there any other airports that let you leave your purchase in the airpirt like TLV does?
What I've seen in a few places (India, Australia) is the ability to buy Duty Free on the way into the country. If you can do that there is no need to buy on the way out and leave behind.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by seaskybound
In general I do not find good prices at all at the airport. Here is some data:

some hi end creams and soaps. $50, is $25 in US department stores. (sure they have buy 3 get 1 free in perpetuity just proving their hi prices)

cheapest wine is $19 (when I want to bring an IL gift abroad) good wines much cheaper in IL supermarkets

Bought levi jeans for 250NIS in mashbir $99 at airport

Tissot watch ~$800 bought for $500 in US (watches that I checked were even all above MSRP)

sony P900 smart phone $999 in us $600

things that might be OK is non-wine booze and running shoes on deals.

the days when Israelis would save 10 years to go abroad are over but the duty-free thing still lingers I guess

I don't buy cigarettes
I think you can still buy Ahava pretty reasonably within Israel itself, compared both to TLV and USA prices. I haven't bought any Levi's in a while, but even 250 NIS sounds pretty high for jeans if you live in the U.S., no?

When I lived in Israel several years ago and bought a pair of "na'alei bayit" (house shoes, zip-up slippers) at the Mashbir, a close family member called me a frier (sucker) for buying them there and not at a shuk.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I bought a bunch of CDs at the disc shop before passport control...
They were about 50 NIS ($12), which is not bad, but my credit card shows a $50 charge.. not sure what that is all about...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:01 am

Hatav Hashmini (the 8th tune) - the CD store outside security is a branch of a Jerusalem store with the same name which is considered the cheapest CD store in Israel. The store in the airport also a good bargain and is cheaper than most stores in Tel Aviv and around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.