Wiki Posts
Search

SAA First Class LHR/CPT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2002, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, LH Senator, TG Gold, AA Platinum
SAA First Class LHR/CPT

I had my first experience with SAA and was very impressed. I had my doubts with what I had been reading on this board. The ground staff were among the best I have ever experienced anywhere. The inflight crew picked up where the ground staff left off and provided platinum service from start to finish. The breakfast was served with the same energy and professionalism as the dinner. The cuisine was fresh and tasty with the usual variety of offerings. I will happily post the menu if anyone desires. Carfield??
Old Oct 14, 2002, 2:21 pm

I would LOVE to see a menu. Did your plane have the NEW first class suites or the old two by two first class seats?

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:11 am
Original Poster

RTW4, The aircraft was configured with the new First Class seats. I was originally scheduled on the day before with the old style seats. Sorry for my delay in posting the menu.

Dinner

Hors d'oeuvre
Crab Mousse Timbale
With smoked Salmon and a mixed salad with sun blush tomatoes

or

Grilled Mediterranean Vegetables
Served with fresh garden greens

Salad
Seasonal Salad
A fresh selection of salad greens and garnishes served with a creamy Verdi dressing or a red vinaigrette

Entrees
Beef Filet
Covered in a rosemary and red wine sauce, served with courgettes, roasted sweet potato and julienne leeks

or

Chicken Supreme
Grilled with lemon and garlic, topped with a thyme jus and accompanied by saffron rice, turned carrots and sliced courgettes

or

Seared Escolar
Topped with a Vierge sauce, served with Basmati and wild rice, baby bok choy and Roma tomatoes

Triangle Artichoke Pasta
Covered in a Mornay sauce, garnished with rocket lettuce and shaved Parmesan cheese

Cheese and Dessert

Lime Zing
Served with a raspberry coulis

Vanilla Ice Cream

Cheese Board
A selection of cheeseand biscuits, grapes, walnuts and ready-to-eat figs

Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee or Tea
Presented with chocolate pralines

Breakfast

Various fruit juices, teas and freshly brewed coffee

A plate of delicately sliced fresh fruit

A choice of natural or fruit-flavoured yoghurt served with a variety of breakfast cereals and milk

Full Breakfast
Any combination of the following:

Boiled Eggs
Cooked to order

Egg and Cheese Roll
Kassler Steak
Button Mushrooms
Grilled Tomato

or

Cold Plate
Featuring salami and smoked turkey slices, Emmenthal and Cheddar cheese

A Bread Basket
Filled with an assortment of breads and pastries, served with butter and preserves

Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee or Tea
Old Nov 26, 2002, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
On my flight back to LHR on LH from CPT I used the SAA first class lounge in JNB. It's not the fanciest, hippest lounge I've been to but the dinner service there is the best I've seen in any lounge. The food and wines were so good I was sorely tempted to ask for seconds and skip the meal onboard.

I wish more airlines had friendly and helpful staff in their lounges.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Does anybody know how to determine if a flight on a particular day has the flat bed seats or not? I'm booked LHR-J'Burg (SA229), then CapeTown-LHR )SA220) in early February, but for the life of me, cannot get a straight answer from SAA Customer Service as to which flights will have the new versus old style seats.

Their call center here in the US first told me that "all their 747s have the new seats", then a few days later a different agent told me otherwise. Then yet on a different day, another representative said she thought that all the 747 FC cabins were indeed due to be updated by Jan 2003. Not quite sure who to believe at this point!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JimAtTheBeach:
Does anybody know how to determine if a flight on a particular day has the flat bed seats or not? I'm booked LHR-J'Burg (SA229), then CapeTown-LHR )SA220) in early February, but for the life of me, cannot get a straight answer from SAA Customer Service as to which flights will have the new versus old style seats.

Their call center here in the US first told me that "all their 747s have the new seats", then a few days later a different agent told me otherwise. Then yet on a different day, another representative said she thought that all the 747 FC cabins were indeed due to be updated by Jan 2003. Not quite sure who to believe at this point!
</font>
Only two aircraft have lie-flat seats in C, ZS-ZAK and ZS-SAZ. Both are 744s, with 39 C seats, as opposed to 56-61 seats on the other 744s and 743s.

Here's what SAA's timetable says :

"SAA serves London 21 times a week from South Africa and has introduced new lie-flat seats in Business Class on selected flights on the Johannesburg London route. The early flight from Johannesburg to London and the early flight from London to Johannesburg will usually offer these services, as well as the new millennium First Class beds and the millennium Economy Class product with individual video screens for all passengers."

Looking at the seat maps in the timetable, it would seem that there are six different F class configurations in SAAs 747 fleet.

johan

Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:00 am

Sounds nice! Will try this route as soon as possible next year!

Tim
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Bringing this forward to see if anyone has had a recent experience using the SAA First Class Lounge at JNB. I have used BAs Terraces Lounge a few times when flying that carrier to LHR, but now have a CX trip coming up in First Class. Their website indicates CX uses the SAA First Class Lounge rather than that of their oneworld partner BA. So, has the lounge been improved? Is there still dinner service as referred to above, and is it open to those flying in First on SAA, or is it open servce? I assume there is a separate room for First Class passengers versus Business Class and elite travellers.

Any observations would be appreciated. I have peeked in at the lounge when through JNB, but never been inside. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:47 am
Suspended

SH

If CX tells you to use the SAA First lounge then I would do just that. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, it is the one at the end of the mezzanine pier, diagonally opposite the VS Clubhouse. It's called the Cycad lounge and, whilst it is nothing to blow your mind away, has very good SA wines, champagne, and a very speedy full-dinner service. The ostrich I've had there beats what I've eaten in restaurants in CPT!.

The lounge also has showers, desks, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
SA wines...Ostrich...Hmmm, good, yum. Let's hope that's where they send me. But just in case, I will still head to The Butcher Shop the night before for my ceremonial "last dinner". [Sorting through receipts last night and came across the one for my dinner there in February: R180: appetizer, salad, game, bottle of Shiraz, bottle of water, taxes and service!]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:52 am
Suspended

SH

Are you going to CPT? If so, I can email you a restaurant suggestion for the best seafood I think I've ever had!
Old Oct 7, 2003, 2:08 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johan rebel:
Only two aircraft have lie-flat seats in C, ZS-ZAK and ZS-SAZ. Both are 744s, with 39 C seats, as opposed to 56-61 seats on the other 744s and 743s.

Here's what SAA's timetable says :

"SAA serves London 21 times a week from South Africa and has introduced new lie-flat seats in Business Class on selected flights on the Johannesburg London route. The early flight from Johannesburg to London and the early flight from London to Johannesburg will usually offer these services, as well as the new millennium First Class beds and the millennium Economy Class product with individual video screens for all passengers."

Looking at the seat maps in the timetable, it would seem that there are six different F class configurations in SAAs 747 fleet.

johan

</font>
can anyone confirm that this is still correct i.e. only two planes with this configuration and only the early-LHR-flights?
thanks a lot.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

SAA First class

Hi there, I highly recommend calling the SAA call centre. I have read reports here about poor or inaccurate service. This was not my experience---everybody from the groundstaff --to flight crew--was exceptional!! ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.