Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Airlines - name correction

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Ethiopian Airlines - name correction

I recently booked a trip from the US to Africa via Ethiopian Airlines. Within minutes of booking, I noticed a one letter typo on the ticket. I reached out to Ethiopian Airlines , and they said it was $50 to correct it and to let them know how I wanted to proceed.

The next day (before paying), I realized the name was already changed. I then received another email stating that although the name was changed online but I needed to pay for the ticket to be “reissued”. They also said their online payment system was down, and wanted me to email them my credit card information just by sending it as plain text through email.

This raised red flags to me.

Has anyone experienced this? I’ll pay the $50 if needed, but is this a risk of my card number being stolen by being asked to send my credit card information via email.

Since the name is already changed online, should I just ignore it? Or could we encounter issues later?
Old May 6, 2024, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Liz36964
I recently booked a trip from the US to Africa via Ethiopian Airlines. Within minutes of booking, I noticed a one letter typo on the ticket. I reached out to Ethiopian Airlines , and they said it was $50 to correct it and to let them know how I wanted to proceed.

The next day (before paying), I realized the name was already changed. I then received another email stating that although the name was changed online but I needed to pay for the ticket to be “reissued”. They also said their online payment system was down, and wanted me to email them my credit card information just by sending it as plain text through email.

This raised red flags to me.

Has anyone experienced this? I’ll pay the $50 if needed, but is this a risk of my card number being stolen by being asked to send my credit card information via email.

Since the name is already changed online, should I just ignore it? Or could we encounter issues later?
You can pay any reissue fee at the airport of departure before checking in. You can also call the call center and they can send you a secure link to process the payment online. Don't send any CC data via email.
plunet likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC
And typically a single letter typo on an airline ticket isn't anything to worry about, although you've got it changed already. But fully agree that you were right to not send credit card information by email, that is a red flag (and the airline would usually be in breach of contract with their bank by failing to adhere to the PCI regulations and asking a customer to transit card data insecurely)
Old May 6, 2024, 11:37 am

For future knowledge, just cancel your ticket and start over. You have 24 hours to cancel your ticket after initial purchase. This will negate any airline change fees.
Old May 7, 2024, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by btscott
For future knowledge, just cancel your ticket and start over. You have 24 hours to cancel your ticket after initial purchase. This will negate any airline change fees.
True that the US DOT does mandate this but not all airlines outside of the US implement it as a simple cancel and rebook process, YMMV. Also there is no guarantee that upon cancellation the released/cancelled tickets would drop back into the same inventory and would be rebookable at the same price.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by plunet
True that the US DOT does mandate this but not all airlines outside of the US implement it as a simple cancel and rebook process, YMMV. Also there is no guarantee that upon cancellation the released/cancelled tickets would drop back into the same inventory and would be rebookable at the same price.
Ethiopian permits this for tickets originating in the USA only.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/us...;s%20departure.
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.