Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Missed connection in AMM: Does RJ normally refuse to rebook to other airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite

Update:
Transfer Desk in AMM refused to rebook me on TK to ATH (same day) and insisted I had to wait for the next RJ flight which is in2 days. What I found particular outrageous was when the agent told me straight up they would cancel my return flights if I decided to organise a seat on TK same day at my own expense. In the end after some very frank exchanged, he gave in and checked with back-office and accepted to keep the return flight but I bought a new ticket on TK (approx. JOD 300) at my own expense, which I will try to claim from my travel insurance.

I used to live in Amman for 3 years have travelled a lot with RJ, never experienced such a poor service. Maybe because I’ve lost my satus. I will try to avoid them for future travel.

Does Royal Jordanian (RJ) normally refuse to re-book to other airlines when missed connection in AMM? Should I try to escalate?

I was scheduled to travel BGW-AMM-ATH on RJ today Friday but will miss connection in AMM due incoming flight delayed due bad weather (low visibility) in BGW.

Despite obvious I would miss connection in AMM, RJ ground-staff in BGW insisted on checking me + luggage in to final destination ATH stating that RJ would rebook me to ‘any flight’ upon arrival AMM.

While still in BGW, I received an updated ticket via email with a new flight AMM-ATH on Sunday, arriving 2 days later than scheduled. This is the first available RJ connection as there is no RJ flight between AMM and ATH tomorrow, Saturday.

I called RJ call centre asking to be rebooked to another airline (TK, MS) getting me from AMM to ATH today Friday or latest tomorrow Saturday. This was refused.

Does Royal Jordanian (RJ) normally refuse to re-book to other airlines when missed connection in AMM? Should I try to escalate? No status and cheap eco-fare.

Last edited by Hafnia; Nov 17, 2023 at 4:17 am
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I would never call to get rebooked in a situation like this. Call center agents are not authorised to rebook OAL. The only to talk to is airport staff who has much more leeway to rebook to other carriers - as you already found out. Of course RJ would prefer to keep you on their own metal but apparently supervisor accepted to remove the segment AMM-ATH after some discussion. You should check that AMM-ATH was indeed removed from the reservation and the return flights are still there.

If you travel insurance refuse to reimburse the TK ticket, I suggest you write to RJ and ask for reimbursement of the ticket from RJ as RJ only offered to rebook 2 days later/refused to rebook to TK. Worth a try I guess.
Hafnia likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I would never call to get rebooked in a situation like this. Call center agents are not authorised to rebook OAL. The only to talk to is airport staff who has much more leeway to rebook to other carriers - as you already found out. Of course RJ would prefer to keep you on their own metal but apparently supervisor accepted to remove the segment AMM-ATH after some discussion. You should check that AMM-ATH was indeed removed from the reservation and the return flights are still there.

If you travel insurance refuse to reimburse the TK ticket, I suggest you write to RJ and ask for reimbursement of the ticket from RJ as RJ only offered to rebook 2 days later/refused to rebook to TK. Worth a try I guess.
Thank you. Agree that trying to rebook on the phone is never very effective but it was the only option while I was still in BGW as no RJ staff present. When I eventually made it to AMM, it was RJ Ground staff who refused to rebook me to TK and insisted I should wait for 2 days until the next RJ flight AMM-ATH. I was also informed that I should accept not to make any further claims against RJ if I decided to buy a ticket with TK myself, which I ended up doing. The AMM-ATH segnment has been removed and the return segments ATH-AMM-BGW are still active.

In the end, except the ‘offer’ to rebook me to a flight two days later, not cancelling the return segments was the only support I received from RJ staff a the transfer desk in AMM in this case and even that I had to fight for…
Old Nov 23, 2023, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK - horrible experience. I hope it makes you reconsider RJ again for future travel (I have only travelled with RJ on 1 time (itinerary to/from BKK some years ago) so it is not an airline that I'm very familiar with or plan to use).
Hafnia likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Nov 23, 2023 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 25, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
For the canceled BKK flights (when they reduced frequency from daily to 3 weekly), they allowed rebooking on QR/MH, as long as there are still RJ sectors (DOH-AMM and beyond).

I think status does not play any role with RJ and unfortunately not surprised about your experience.
Hafnia likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
I've got to agree with your assement, they're garbage as far as their handling of normal operations. I'm just shocked at their behavior and acceptance of that.

File a complaint to: (All of your conversations need to be rendered to images)

https://carc.gov.jo/en

Also to the greek one as well: Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - Home
Hafnia likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
For the canceled BKK flights (when they reduced frequency from daily to 3 weekly), they allowed rebooking on QR/MH, as long as there are still RJ sectors (DOH-AMM and beyond).

I think status does not play any role with RJ and unfortunately not surprised about your experience.
They do seem to be extremely insistent that DOH-AMM-xxx is RJ... not only RJ code but actually RJ. I had something similar recently due to a BKK cancellation. No problem with any QR flights as long as I got to DOH on RJ metal and RJ codes, but absolutely would not allow the QR metal RJ code AMM-DOH despite it being hours earlier than their own metal flight and allowing me to get to my destination 6 hours earlier as well. In the end I'm still getting to my destination 20 mins earlier than initially scheduled via BKK but now I'm on MH from DOH instead of QR because of that restriction. It was that or arrive 12 hours late to get QR metal on the long segment.
Hafnia likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monksy
I've got to agree with your assement, they're garbage as far as their handling of normal operations. I'm just shocked at their behavior and acceptance of that.

File a complaint to: (All of your conversations need to be rendered to images)

https://carc.gov.jo/en

Also to the greek one as well: Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - Home
Thank you. For now, I have forwarded this thread to RJ for their comments…
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

In their response to my complaint, RJ Customer Relations Team completely ignore the fact that I was asked to wait in AMM for two days/denied to be moved to TK or other carrier and instead they present it as if they did me a favour by not cancelling my return flight after I bought a new same day ticket AMM/IST/ATH myself 😂:

Upon reviewing our records, we have found that you arrived at the transit counter in Amman and requested to close the flight sector from Amman to Athens. This request was made so that you could utilize your return tickets, since you have already purchased a ticket to Athens. Our transit team informed you that closing the sector would result in no refund or compensation. With your approval, we proceeded to close the sector (Amman -Athens).

As a gesture of apology for any inconvenience that occurred, we are pleased to offer you a 25% discount on Royal Jordanian normal fares for a roundtrip in Economy Cabin on Royal Jordanian direct-operated flights between Europe and the Gulf Region. (Government taxes and surcharges are not subject to the discount.).

The offer is valid for one year from the date of receiving this e-mail and for one-time usage only.

In order to benefit from the offer, you can make a provisional reservation on RJ direct flights without issuing the ticket, through any of our sales offices or our 24/7 call center at their number +962.6.5100000, email us back your reservation number two weeks prior to your travel date in order to make the necessary arrangements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.