Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

self transfer at kuwait and transit visa requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

self transfer at kuwait and transit visa requirement

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Exclamation self transfer at kuwait and transit visa requirement

Hallo all,

I am travelling to india(Cochin) from Frankfurt,Germany with a layover at Kuwait international airport. The airline is Kuwait airways. As my baggage is not checked through, I have to collect the baggae at kuwait and then check in again. The trip is a round trip. The arrival and departure are at Terminal 4. The layover for the trip is approx 3 hours and 4 hour 15 minutes for the return. Do i need a transit visa for this? Is there any interconnection between arrival and departure in terminal after collecting the baggage?

I am an indian passport holder.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Mageo; Mar 22, 2023 at 1:02 pm
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you buy a ticket from Kuwait Airways from Cochin to Frankfurt they will check thru your luggage in Cochin and you stay airside. So no transit visa required.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

The tickets are purchased from trip.com. As the baggage is not checked through,Do i need to get out of the airport to get the next flight? or do they have a interconncection inside the terminal 4 between arrival and departure after collecting the baggage?
oliver2002

Last edited by Mageo; Mar 22, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
You will be transferring through KWI on only one airline, so your baggages will be checked through all the way to FRA. Make sure that you receive the boarding passes for both the legs as a confirmation. When you land in Kuwait, simply follow the signs towards Transfers. T4 is a pretty new and a small terminal so you'll be having a good experience! There's Starbucks and plenty of other restaurants here or you can pay to access the AlMubarakiya lounge (KD10 or 15, I am not sure about the price). Safe travels.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Hallo thanks for the reply.

I confirmed the baggage collecion from airways. As the ticckets are seperate,i need to collect the baggage at Kuwait and check in again.
My question is Do i need a transit for this case?Is there any interconncetion between arrival and departure inside the airport at terminal 4?
qraec777
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
You don't state your nationality and passport type, nor country of residence so it's impossible to say. However as a guide you can use the United airlines interface that uses TIMATIC (what the airlines use at check-in) to verify what documents you might need. It's not fool-proof, but in 99%+ cases it's correct.

If you are on separate tickets are you correct to assume that you will need to exit at KWI and check back in. And therefore you need to assume that you are admissable to enter Kuwait, ignore the transit question. If not checked through, check-in in Germany will be wanting to verify you can enter Kuwait, and at Kuwait the check-in will be wanting to verify you can enter India.

As suggested above if both flights are with Kuwait airways, it is highly likely that they will check you through, but I don't know their policy. For example BA and AA would not check through as per their company policy.

So you should use the TIMATIC checker for both a through journey with a transit at KWI but also two separate journeys, Germany to Kuwait, and Kuwait to India.

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic/
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.

I am indian passprt holder with resident permit holder in Germany.

The result from the website mentioned by you is attached below:

Kuwait - Transit

Passport

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Passengers with a passport with gender "U" or "X" are not allowed to enter.

Visa

Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.

Warning:

Passengers in transit for more than 8 hours must be accommodated in the airport transit hotel.

Health

Vaccinations not required.

plunet
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
I am afraid you'll somehow have to get KU involved again and give you some sort of confirmation that they will tag your bags to FRA directly. You cannot enter Kuwait now as Kuwait issues tourist visas only to select nationalities and India is not one of them. Only other way for an Indian citizen to get a visa is to be a GCC resident and hold a certain designation, which you are not. There's virtually no way for you to enter Kuwait unless you find a loophole.

But KU T4 does have a sterile transfer area, if that's what you are asking. If you manage to find an exemption to get through and collect your bags at KWI, then yes, you can collect your baggages, simply turn left and continue walking in the common lobby towards the other side of the terminal and that's where the check-in desks are.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I doubt trip.com sold you separate tickets, and even if they did, its all in one reservation.

An example:

So when you check in with KU at COK they will see this as one trip and check you and your baggage thru, with no need to do anything in KWI.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Mageo
Hallo thanks for the reply.

I confirmed the baggage collecion from airways. As the ticckets are seperate,i need to collect the baggage at Kuwait and check in again.
Are you saying that you bought a ticket from Frankfurt to Kuwait & another separate ticket from Kuwait to Kochi? Or did you buy one ticket from Frankfurt to Kochi with a layover in Kuwait?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Some OTAs do actually sell you a "single" itinerary with entirely separate bookings. I did a few quick searches, and it appears that booking COK-KWI and KWI-FRA separately might well be cheaper than a single roundtrip ticket.

Mageo , when you enter your booking reference on KU's website, do you see the entire trip at the same time or only one portion?
Old May 14, 2023, 2:51 am

Arrow Transit Visa Requirement at Kuwait Airport

I have a similar query. I am holding a normal Indian Passport and have a Turkey Tourist Visa, I am flying to Kuwait Airport Terminal 1 from Delhi, India by Indigo flight and will have to self transfer at Terminal 1 only for check in to Pegasus Airlines for flight to Istanbul(SAW) with a layover time of 5:40 hrs. Do I require a transit Visa at Kuwait Airport? If required, can I get the transit visa on arrival? Any other way to apply for Kuwait Transit Visa? Please guide. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:02 am

Hi
Did you complete your trip. How was the transit done? I have the same flight this month but from Mumbai to Kuwait and Kuwait to Frankfurt. Your inputs will be very helpful
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:46 am

Same issue

It amazes me how some people insist on telling the person they are asking the wrong question. In answer, I bought two tickets from different airlines, in both cases direct from the airline (Wizz and Fly Dubai). If I take carry on luggage, I know I do not need a transit visa as I don't leave the terminal. However, if I have hold luggage, do I need a transit visa? Irish national, UAE resident.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TwoHeads
It amazes me how some people insist on telling the person they are asking the wrong question. In answer, I bought two tickets from different airlines, in both cases direct from the airline (Wizz and Fly Dubai). If I take carry on luggage, I know I do not need a transit visa as I don't leave the terminal. However, if I have hold luggage, do I need a transit visa? Irish national, UAE resident.
That's interesting. I have a similar two-ticket, hand-baggage only transfer at KWI in a couple of weeks, and was resigned to getting a visa (on arrival) to go landside to check in for my second flight (SV). I'm pretty sure full online check-in isn't available: airlines seem to have upped their vigilance checking documents before issuing boarding passes. Maybe there's a transfer desk airside that takes care of that. We live in hope .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.