Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
INFO AND FAQ ABOUT ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES' STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) PROGRAM

If you have a connection between two Ethiopian Airlines international flights at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD) scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length on a single ticket, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) package.

Eligible passengers should get a voucher for hotel, visa, meals and transport when you check-in for your first Ethiopian Airlines flight. On arrival in Addis Ababa, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. As soon as you exit the customs area, there is an Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a handful of seats (and free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

FAQ

Qsn : How long does my layover need to be to take advantage of this program?
Ans : Your layover needs to be between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length. A layover of 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

Qsn : My layover is during the daytime and not overnight. Am I still eligible?
Ans : YES. As long as your layover is between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible.

Qsn : Which hotel will I be assigned to?
Ans : In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel located in Bole. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

https://www.ethiopianskylighthotel.com

Qsn. Do I need to book in advance?
Ans : No, you just show up at check-in for your first flight and you will receive the voucher.

Qsn : I did not receive my voucher at check-in. What should I do?
Ans : If you did not receive your voucher at check-in, you will most likely receive it at the boarding gate. If you still do not receive it for some reason, you can collect it at the "Transfer and Layover Office" in Addis Ababa which is located on the left (west) side of the transit security area.

Qsn. Do I get to choose my hotel?
Ans : No, your hotel will be assigned to you. In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

Qsn. Do I need to buy my own food?
Ans : No, your voucher includes complimentary meals at the hotel appropriate to the time of day.

Qsn. How do I get to the hotel?
Ans : Your voucher includes complimentary transfers from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. The Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs will direct you to the appropriate pickup point for the shuttle bus.

Qsn. Can I skip the shuttle bus and take a taxi instead?
Ans : Sure, but you need to get your voucher stamped by the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs. The hotel requires a stamped voucher in order to allow your check-in.

Qsn. I prefer to stay at the Hyatt Regency Addis Ababa - will Ethiopian Airlines reimburse my expenses there?
Ans : NO. You have to use the complimentary hotel provided by Ethiopian Airlines. They will not refund any expenses incurred elsewhere.

Qsn. I read and hear a lot of negative things about the security situation in Ethiopia. Is it safe to leave the airport?
Ans : Each person has their own risk appetite and needs to conduct their own security assessment. However, hundreds if not thousands of visitors in transit enter Ethiopia every day and do not fall victim to insecurity issues in the provided hotels. The wider city of Addis Ababa has the same security and crime issues that plague any big city, and tourists will stand out as prospective targets for pickpockets, etc..

Qsn. Can I request the In-Terminal hotel instead of a hotel in town?
Ans : The In-Terminal Hotel in Addis Ababa is also operated by Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. Anecdotally, if you receive a voucher for "SKYLIGHT", you may be able to choose to use it at either the airside in-terminal hotel, or the landside hotel which is around 300m from Terminal 1 and 1km from Terminal 2. Officially however, you should be using the landside hotel (which is a 5-star property and much nicer).

Qsn. Can I use the transit visa only and then go to my own hotel or take a city tour?
Ans : In practice, this is possible. Once you exit customs, simply exit the building rather than going to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk for the shuttle bus to the provided hotel.

Qsn. Do they have free Wifi?
Ans : Yes, all hotels that Ethiopian Airlines uses for this program provide free Wifi. However, speeds may vary significantly and there are often Government imposed blocks of certain websites, apps and functionalities. You can purchase a local SIM card at the Safaricom or EthioTel desks located right next to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk after customs. The SIM card costs 30 Birr (approx. $0.50) and you can purchase a data package of your choosing depending on your requirements.

Qsn : Can I leave the hotel and go sightseeing during my layover?
Ans : There should be nothing that stops you from doing this. However, if you are a military age male fitting a specific ethnic profile, you may experience some pushback from hotel security (UPDATED 2023). There have been situations where transit passengers who might not otherwise qualify for a visa have left hotels and joined up as mercenary soldiers with anti-government forces, so they want to ensure that doesn't happen. Some hotels may require you to leave your passport with them as a "deposit".

Qsn : I have a firearm in my checked luggage. Can I access it during my transit stop in Addis Ababa?
Ans : NO. Local regulations do not permit you to access your firearms while in transit in Addis Ababa. Hotels will conduct X-ray screening of all luggage and require guests to pass through metal detector screening to ensure no weapons are carried.

Qsn. Does my passport get stamped?
Ans : NO, in most cases, your passport will not be stamped. However, your photograph and/or fingerprints will be collected at immigration. In some cases however, your passport may be stamped.

Qsn. I am in transit to South Africa and I am concerned that using this program will trigger a requirement for Yellow Fever vaccination. What should I do?
Ans : If you enter Ethiopia, even in transit, you may be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in South Africa.

Qsn. How long does it take to deal with all the formalities?
Ans : If you have all your paperwork already in order (viz. onward boarding pass and transit voucher) you can be out of the building within 15 minutes of touchdown. Very rarely does it take longer than 30 minutes.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans. YES. If you are on a paid ticket and there is a shorter connection available, your fare already includes a surcharge of $70 to cover this program. If you are on an award ticket, no surcharge is applicable and you will receive the vouchers anyway.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Customer service says I am not eligible, but this FAQ says I am. Who is right?
Ans : This FAQ is based on hundreds of passenger experiences over the course of multiple years. There is no single data point where a passenger has been denied this program due to a "shorter connection" being available. There is an official policy, and then there is the reality on the ground.

Qsn : I am on an award ticket. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible.

Qsn : I am on a partner issued ticket (revenue or award). Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible. Both revenue and award tickets issued by partners are eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Turkish Airlines and departing on Ethiopian. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Ethiopian Airlines and departing on Egyptair. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am traveling on separate tickets but both flights are on Ethiopian Airlines. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on a domestic Ethiopian Airlines flight and departing the next morning on an international flight. Am I eligible?
Ans : This program specifically applies only to international flights. If either your arrival or departure flights is domestic, you need to check the specific fare rules for details about eligibility.

Qsn : I am not eligible for the complimentary package as I am on separate tickets. Can I pay extra and purchase this anyway?
Ans : YES. You can usually purchase this package for between $70-135 depending on hotel availability from the "Transfer and Layover Office" at Addis Ababa

Qsn : My country is not eligible for visa-on-arrival in Ethiopia. Am I eligible?
Ans : YES. Citizens of all countries traveling on national passports are eligible for this program. Ethiopian Airlines arranges your transit visas, which is a separate program from the Tourist Visa On Arrival program.

Qsn : I am an Ethiopian citizen traveling on a refugee travel document issued by a foreign country. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Your refugee travel document will, in most cases, not be eligible for entry into Ethiopia in such a situation. Please confirm with your local Ethiopian Embassy.

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
IAD-ADD-DXB; have a 4 hour layover in the morning. Flying in J; *G. It seems the actual Cloud Nine lounge is better than the *G lounge. Is this correct? Any priority lines for *G/J passengers that I should be aware of? And finally, do checked bags automatically transfer?
1) The two lounges are pretty identical - the catering is slightly nicer in the Business Class side but both are excellent.

2) There are priority "Gold Track" security lines at all checkpoints. If your flight boards from a remote stand, you should board from the special priority bus gate at A12 rather than the gate number on your boarding pass/screens. (This is very unlikely in your case as ET602 is almost always on a jetway)

3) Yes, checked bags will automatically transfer as long as they are tagged through to destination.

As a separate note, your connection will be very tight especially if there is any sort of delay departing from IAD. I suggest you rush immediately upon arrival to the rapid PCR testing center at gate A6 to get your second test for Dubai arrival done ASAP before proceeding to the lounge. The PCR testing centers are quite crowded ahead of the Dubai flights since all passengers have to be re-tested and there is no priority line there.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
1) The two lounges are pretty identical - the catering is slightly nicer in the Business Class side but both are excellent.

2) There are priority "Gold Track" security lines at all checkpoints. If your flight boards from a remote stand, you should board from the special priority bus gate at A12 rather than the gate number on your boarding pass/screens. (This is very unlikely in your case as ET602 is almost always on a jetway)

3) Yes, checked bags will automatically transfer as long as they are tagged through to destination.

As a separate note, your connection will be very tight especially if there is any sort of delay departing from IAD. I suggest you rush immediately upon arrival to the rapid PCR testing center at gate A6 to get your second test for Dubai arrival done ASAP before proceeding to the lounge. The PCR testing centers are quite crowded ahead of the Dubai flights since all passengers have to be re-tested and there is no priority line there.
Is the A12 priority gate new or have I just missed it? Asking as I've had a couple of remote stand departures on ET (in Business) and nobody (meaning ET folks) at the airport ever said anything about it.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:51 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Is the A12 priority gate new or have I just missed it? Asking as I've had a couple of remote stand departures on ET (in Business) and nobody (meaning ET folks) at the airport ever said anything about it.
I used it the other week myself for the first time despite previous remote stands. C33 on my BP and when I entered the lounge, the agent scribbled it out and wrote A12. All the screens had C33 when I was leaving the lounge and double checked. Only when I left the lounge and looked at A12 did it click. Arrived at the aircraft with one set of stairs and all of economy boarding.

The issue with A12 as I see it is that they board multiple flights from here but only one flight at a time. With three lifts and reduced capacity in them it can take a while for J passengers to board the bus.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:10 am

A12 in particular opened around 2 years ago when the new terminal and lounges opened, but the concept has been around for probably around 8 years or so. It started with a special boarding gate downstairs by the horrible old gate 1 bus gates, then became a dedicated boarding area (gate 10 I believe it was) with its own seating area and elevator right opposite the old Platinum Lounge and customer service center, and then moved to the new Gate A12 in 2020.

You really can't miss it because it is right in front of you when you exit the lounges and has HUGE signage (see below).

Gate A12 dedicated premium bus gate at ADD
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
The issue with A12 as I see it is that they board multiple flights from here but only one flight at a time. With three lifts and reduced capacity in them it can take a while for J passengers to board the bus.
You should wait in the lounge until the lounge agent calls your specific flight for boarding and only then head out to A12 - it is only a 30 second walk and you can stroll right on into the elevators. Ignore the status on the screens - those are for the proletariat
Saltire74, sushimaru and Panache like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:41 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
You should wait in the lounge until the lounge agent calls your specific flight for boarding and only then head out to A12 - it is only a 30 second walk and you can stroll right on into the elevators. Ignore the status on the screens - those are for the proletariat
Ill remember that for next time although on this occasion there were three flights stacking up in the waiting area so was quite crowded. It was the first time I’d seen this gate in action. Is it only used between certain hours?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Ill remember that for next time although on this occasion there were three flights stacking up in the waiting area so was quite crowded. It was the first time I’d seen this gate in action. Is it only used between certain hours?
It is used anytime ET has a departure from a remote stand (ie. pretty much always!). There is a special fleet of Cloud Nine buses (with the nice padded red seats) that are dedicated to this boarding area only.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:35 am

This explains why I didn't see A12 on my last trip. It was our only trip through the new terminal and we were on a short connection (via a jetway) and we were just going straight from gate to gate.

Our last remote stand was via the old downstairs area and there was a gate swap between our flight to ORD and the YYZ departure. We were originally going to board via a jetway and were swapped to a remote stand and we missed the change in gates and ended up getting on the bus with the masses later on in the boarding process.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:14 pm

Our last remote stand was via the old downstairs area and there was a gate swap between our flight to ORD and the YYZ departure. .
The old downstairs area (Gates 1A-1F) was long gone by the time that Ethiopian started Chicago flights in 2018! Addis airport has come a really really long way in the last decade.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:38 pm

Thank you for this information. And I was not aware of the PCR retest. I was able to get a rapid PCR test scheduled before leaving IAD in the 48 hour window (and I've seen conflicting information re: 72 and 96 hours). Is there a fee for the retest and if so, how is it payable - cash, credit, etc.?

Last edited by lamphs; Feb 14, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:41 pm

The old downstairs area (Gates 1A-1F) was long gone by the time that Ethiopian started Chicago flights in 2018! Addis airport has come a really really long way in the last decade.
I can't remember all the gate numbers but it occurred in early July 2019 and we had to go downstairs to get to the busses.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
Thank you for this information. And I was not aware of the PCR retest. I was able to get a rapid PCR test scheduled before leaving IAD in the 48 hour window (and I've seen conflicting information re: 72 and 96 hours). Is there a fee for the retest and if so, how is it payable - cash, credit, etc.?
It is a grey area right now because the UAE regulations are unclear as to whether someone simply in transit VIA Ethiopia is considered as traveling FROM Ethiopia so it was initially being enforced as a requirement when the flights restarted. Not sure if they are still requiring it - but the testing center will be able to advise if so. The price is $50 payable in USD cash only at Gate A6 if required. You will also then do a third PCR test on arrival in Dubai before you reach immigration - this one is free however - and need to self-isolate in your hotel or accommodation until those results are received (usually within 1-2 hours).
lamphs likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:57 am

Older posts here indicated that if I'm flying (in J awards on Ethiopian metal) on separately booked itineraries, it's a crapshoot whether I can buy the hotel transit package. Does anyone have recent datapoints for being denied or allowed to buy the package? My flights are about 10 hours apart.

Related to the above question, but do the *G and/or Cloud Nine lounges have dedicated chairs/areas for sleeping?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by mavere
Older posts here indicated that if I'm flying (in J awards on Ethiopian metal) on separately booked itineraries, it's a crapshoot whether I can buy the hotel transit package. Does anyone have recent datapoints for being denied or allowed to buy the package? My flights are about 10 hours apart. Related to the above question, but do the *G and/or Cloud Nine lounges have dedicated chairs/areas for sleeping?
It is still available as of December but the charge for the Business Class package (Radisson Blu) was $110 that day (I didn't buy it but the person next to me was purchasing it). Price may vary depending on the hotel availability on the day - anywhere between $60-$125 it seems. You need to purchase it from the stopover desk on the arrivals concourse - it is located just south of the transit security checkpoint.

There is a "quiet room" in both the lounges but it isn't very quiet in reality. They tend to lock it and use it for staff to sleep overnight as well. There are also very comfy sleeperette seats located near the windows overlooking the city. Those fill up quickly but should be easily available if you are there during off-peak times.

Given a choice for a 10 hour layover, I will always choose to pay for a hotel in town (and pay for the visa if I have to) rather than spend that long in the lounge, especially if overnight. You can get a good quality hotel like the Best Western for around $60 and the visa is $50 if you need one. I had a 6 hour stay in the lounge a few months ago due to a cancelled flight and that was about the limit for me!
mavere likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Anyone knows if (re-)testing at ADD is still required for DXB bound passengers on a <4 hours transit there?

Thinking of booking a J award Europe-ADD-DXB, but don’t want to run the risk of testing positive in ADD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.