Search

Ethiopian vs KLM or Turkish to JRO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA
Ethiopian vs KLM or Turkish to JRO

Hi All -

I will be flying Los Angeles to Kilimanjaro and wanted to get some feedback. Ethiopian seems to be the least expensive for a paid coach ticket, but I have honestly never heard of them or flown them.

Other options include Turkish Airlines, and KLM.

Thoughts, preferences, experiences, comparisons???

Thanks so much,

Blasky
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by blasky
Hi All -

I will be flying Los Angeles to Kilimanjaro and wanted to get some feedback. Ethiopian seems to be the least expensive for a paid coach ticket, but I have honestly never heard of them or flown them.

Other options include Turkish Airlines, and KLM.

Thoughts, preferences, experiences, comparisons???

Thanks so much,

Blasky
Ethiopian is just fine. They seem to have a recent spate of delays based on reports here, but last time I flew them everything was right on time. (FRA-ADD-DXB).

I wouldn't pay a premium myself to be on the other airlines, but if I did, I'd choose Turkish (good food).

Chris
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. The only reason I would pay a premium is for extra legroom. Depending on the costs and if its available of course. Not sure if Ethiopian even offers a premium economy seat, other than coach and biz class.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

With Ethiopian Airlines, you have to transit the wildly chaotic Addis Ababa airport. If you know what to expect and are a go-with-the-flow type of experienced traveler, it wouldn't be too painful. The flights to/from Los Angeles also will have a stop in Dublin for loading and unloading passengers.

With KLM, Turkish Airlines, and Qatar Airways (beginning 1 January 2016) everything is likely to go smoothly. However, an overnight stay in IST would be necessary on TK and in DOH on QR.

Do not forget the possibility of a multiple airline itinerary, like UA to Houston and then TK to JRO. The possibilities are endless.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes... The flight connections for TK as well as KLM are very tight. Probably best to see if I can take a non direct flight and save the overnight requirement. So much to consider... Overall would u say one airline preferred / far superior than the other?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:52 pm

For economy, KLM, Qatar, and Turkish are all pretty good.

Ethiopian is good, too, if on a 787-800 or 777-300ER. But beware of the delays on flights leaving Addis Ababa (except to JRO, which almost always seems to be on time). Don't forget the option of flying to Toronto or Dulles to pick-up Ethiopian there, at a possibly lower cost.

Delta is a one-airline option from Los Angeles to Johannesburg, with an onward same day connection to Dar es Salaam and then another connection to JRO.

Emirates, Etihad, KLM, Turkish, Qatar, British Airways, Saudi Airlines, and China Airways are one-airline options from Los Angeles to Nairobi, with an onward same day connection on Kenya Airways or Precision Air to JRO.

Emirates, KLM, Turkish, and Qatar are one-airline options from Los Angeles to Dar es Salaam with an onward same day connection to JRO.

And then there are lots of multiairline combinations to reach Europe for onward connections to JRO.

Tons of permutations, but not all of them are allowed on one ticket.

Last edited by Sabasi; Sep 22, 2015 at 9:56 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sabasi
For economy, KLM, Qatar, and Turkish are all pretty good.

Ethiopian is good, too, if on a 787-800 or 777-300ER. But beware of the delays on flights leaving Addis Ababa (except to JRO, which almost always seems to be on time). Don't forget the option of flying to Toronto or Dulles to pick-up Ethiopian there, at a possibly lower cost.

Delta is a one-airline option from Los Angeles to Johannesburg, with an onward same day connection to Dar es Salaam and then another connection to JRO.

Emirates, Etihad, KLM, Turkish, Qatar, British Airways, Saudi Airlines, SWISS, and China Airways are one-airline options from Los Angeles to Nairobi, with an onward same day connection on Kenya Airways or Precision Air to JRO.

Emirates, Etihad, KLM, Turkish, and Qatar are one-airline options from Los Angeles to Dar es Salaam with an onward same day connection to JRO.

SWISS is a one-airline option from Los Angeles to Dar es Salaam with an onward next day connection to JRO.

And then there are lots of multiairline combinations to reach Europe for onward connections to JRO.

Tons of permutations, but not all of them are allowed on one ticket.

Last edited by Sabasi; Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sabasi
Emirates, KLM, Turkish, and Qatar are one-airline options from Los Angeles to Dar es Salaam with an onward same day connection to JRO.
Depending on the day of travel, KL flies AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS or AMS-JRO-KGL-AMS, so no need to connect at DAR.

Johan
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:09 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If earning miles in any particular program isn't important to you, I would probably pick KLM out of the three.

The rationale for me would be that if you ever had flight cancellations or interruptions, KLM will handle it much better and more professionally than Turkish or Ethiopian ever would. Although those two are Star Alliance members, they have substantially less polish on their customer care and delivery than KLM and, as a result, would be my last choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.