Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit time Nairobi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, Ditto, and not for the first time.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:28 pm

Smile What happened

Originally Posted by rutgers77
I have a very tight transfer. I will be flying South African Airways from Johannesburg to Nairobi.. Our flight arrives at terminal 1B at 3:05PM.. Our Precision Airlines flight is scheduled to depart at 16:50 from terminal 1A. Most importantly, is there anything that can be done to expedite the process? I am really afraid I am going to miss that plane. I have been losing sleep over it. I did not realize that Precision closes their checkin an hour before the flight when I booked this. Should we buy another set of tickets for a later time?
Well, I'm back from my trip. I purchased a second set of tickets in case I did not make the connection. We got upgraded by South African Airways to first class. That resulted in our luggage coming out quickly. We grabbed our luggage, purchased the transit visa, rechecked our luggage and went to the gate. We were the first ones at the gate for the 16:50 flight. I guess things fell into place for us. Also our South African flight arrived a bit early. Bottom line is, we did not need the second set of tickets, but I sure slept better after buying them.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:55 am

one hr transfer time at NBO

hi.. I am traveling from Johannesburg to USA via NBO using both KQ. I have one hour transfer window at NBO my luggage will be checked through. I am being skeptical if one your is enough to transfer at NBO with luggage checked through.

whats the average transfer time at NBO in 2022?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:56 am

If your flights are on time, an hour is plenty.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:44 am
Original Member

Hello all
I am planning to fly Precision Air from Kilimanjaro to NBO and then connect on AF to Paris on a separate ticket. There is a four hour layover in NBO. Does anyone know if Precision Air will interline onto AF on a separate ticket. I suspect they will not - presumably, I would then need a Kenyan electronic travel authorisation to enter Kenya, reclaim my bags and check in with AF. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I am planning to fly Precision Air from Kilimanjaro to NBO and then connect on AF to Paris on a separate ticket. There is a four hour layover in NBO. Does anyone know if Precision Air will interline onto AF on a separate ticket. I suspect they will not - presumably, I would then need a Kenyan electronic travel authorisation to enter Kenya, reclaim my bags and check in with AF. Thanks for any help!
As far i know they do not have interline with AF , but they do with KQ and KL , so you will need to go landside

There is a way to check such information directly but you would need access to an amadeus terminal , if both airlines use the same GDS

And i would recommend to apply for a e-visa rather than ESTA (if still available) , its only 15$ more expensive but less painful process
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
And i would recommend to apply for a e-visa rather than ESTA (if still available) , its only 15$ more expensive but less painful process
Keep in mind, the ETA had a 40% refusal rate in the first week of issuance as well. So you are far from guaranteed to be approved.

Last edited by B747-437B; Jan 15, 2024 at 4:38 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
You can ask PW to check you bags through to AF. If they don't, approach the transfer desk at T1 - KQ desk looks after AF, and let them know your bags are not tagged through. They will be able to assist. Also they will be able to issue your AF boarding passes.

As far i know they do not have interline with AF , but they do with KQ and KL , so you will need to go landside

There is a way to check such information directly but you would need access to an amadeus terminal , if both airlines use the same GDS

The Kenyan Government stopped issuing e-visa's over a week ago, so you can only apply for an eTA at https://www.etakenya.go.ke/en

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Keep in mind, the ESTA had a 40% refusal rate in the first week of issuance as well. So you are far from guaranteed to be approved.
Where did you get the 40% refusal from?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Where did you get the 40% refusal from?
Official Kenya government statistics for the first 5 days (ie. up to 09JAN24).
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
The Kenyan Government stopped issuing e-visa's over a week ago, so you can only apply for an eTA at https://www.etakenya.go.ke/en
thanks , they made it faster than i expected , is the east african visa still available ?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:37 am

thanks , they made it faster than i expected , is the east african visa still available ?
Not from Kenya. Those issued by Rwanda or Uganda remain valid for now until the end of 2024 in Kenya.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Not from Kenya. Those issued by Rwanda or Uganda remain valid for now until the end of 2024 in Kenya.
So we can consider kenya is therefore withdrawing from the east african visa agreement without officially announcing it ? Or if not they will make it so hard for others to apply to this visa from kenyan side in a way to push for ESTA ?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:41 am

So we can consider kenya is therefore withdrawing from the east african visa agreement without officially announcing it ? Or if not they will make it so hard for others to apply to this visa from kenyan side in a way to push for ESTA ?
Kenya says they are "visa free". So I don't see any way to apply for a EATV from Kenya since they claim they no longer issue any visas.

If you enter the zone via one of the other countries, you can still travel to Kenya using the EATV. And the Kenya ETA is (now updated) valid for multiple entries into Kenya from within the EAF countries, but not for entry to those other countries.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Kenya says they are "visa free". So I don't see any way to apply for a EATV from Kenya since they claim they no longer issue any visas

If you enter the zone via one of the other countries, you can still travel to Kenya using the EATV. And the Kenya ETA is (now updated) valid for multiple entries into Kenya from within the EAF countries, but not for entry to those other countries.
Ok so you took my questions from wrong angle

Two things to mention the EATV you probably forgot = you must apply from the first of those 3 countries you will enter , and you cant apply for it while being already in one of them

So if a traveller journey throughout 2 or 3 countries of the EATV zone starts by kenya then he/she need to have it from kenya,therefore the fact that they changed whatever policy doesnt remove the need for EATV, which is the whole point of this agreement ,otherwise that traveller will/might find himself/herself applying for visa(s) and esta to each country in the zone

If they dont want to deliver it anymore or make it harder/impossible to get (thats what my question was about , maybe you have some insights or read/heard news about it) , then it "forces" anyone who wants to have this EATV to not start their journey from kenya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.