Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit time Nairobi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Hello all, I understand that the entire situation at NBO is constantly changing after work being done after the fire.

I'm travelling LCY-AMS-NBO-LUN next week with 2 hour connection at AMS and NBO... Is there anything worth knowing re the connection at NBO? European winter might delay my arrival so I'm trying to do my homework before I travel. I imagine the connection should be straightforward? Is there anything worth knowing before travel?

Also, is there an ATM airside at NBO that I can withdraw USD from?

Last edited by shadowline; Oct 18, 2015 at 7:07 am
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:53 am

Dear all,

I am back safely from my holiday trip! I wanted to post my experiences to NBO as I started to ask about that airport. I can also provide information about AMS and TNR, if anyone is interested, but maybe better in a new thread.

For me, NBO was easy to get along. I passed twice through this airport - on my way to Madagascar and on my way back home.

On the forward run I was tired when I arrived, because due to foggy weather in Amsterdam, my first flight was delayed 4 hours, so I had 8 hours waiting time in Amsterdam (in which I waited around 4 hours in the not-moving-forward "horror queue" for rebooking until KLM booked me luckyly for my new flights automatically and I could "escape"!). I had then another 6 hours unplanned at NBO, but I was extremly tired, so I tried to sleep. On the way back I was "normal" tired - and I only had the planned around 2hours transit stay. Distances within the transit area were for me easy to master - I think, the longest distance took for me max. 10-15 min. There might be also longer distances and I walk fast, but for me, distances were easy to overcome (AMS was much longer distances!).

@ shadowline: I am sorry, that I can´t answer your question! I did´t see any ATMs, but I also did not look for it. Therefore, there might be the possibiliy, but at least it was not really eye-catching for me.

At both flights I was picked up from the airplane with a bus as described by roadwarrior and dropped off at the transit gate. Very clear, not to miss. There I had to climb up stairs, just do climb down on the other site... Next is the security check! There were always security persons, showing, which queue one should take. All handluggage ect. was checked (again) before I could enter the waiting area.

The waiting area included several shops (souvenirs, food, ...) and also "restaurants". There is also a bigger restaurant area (1st floor), which I didn´t check out.

For me important information: I could pay in Euro! It´s good to have small money (coins, small bills), as they can not handle bigger bills (e.g. a woman in front of me wanted to buy some chocolate bars and wanted to pay with 50Euro. She was not successfull!). For me, I could buy 3 bottles of water (500 mL each) for 3 Euro - paid in 1 and 2 Euro-coins.

Everything was signed pretty well. It was easy for me, to find the distinct area I was interested to go to. However, they had also problems with electricity/ computer programms, so that my flight was not shown at the screen. Nevertheless, it was easy for me, to ask around - all people were really kind and also at the official desk, they helped me friendly to find the right gate for me.

On my flight to Madagscar, I only was in the newer looking part of the waiting area. There are a lot of seats and broad window ledges, on which I tried to sleep. Everything was clean with a lot of women contantly cleaning everything (it was nearly annoying: if I went to the toilet, they followed me, waiting to clean after me! Not only me, also all other women using the toilet. I felt little bit ashamed).

On the way back I had to go to an older looking part, where there were fewer sitting possibilities, it was "more dirty" (still for me not ugly) and everything was narrower. I also had no problems to find my way there - signing was good.

Before I could enter the waiting area at my gate for my flight to AMS, I had to do another (!) security check at the gate including carry-on-check and metal detectors. I don´t know, why there was another check - maybe, because the flight goes from Africa to EU? There was no such check going from NBO to TNR.

In this last "secured" waiting area there was no infrastructure (toilet, shop, ...), but seats (not enough for all people though). So, if one had to use the toilet, you would have to go out and to do the security check again for re-entering.

For me, the airport was easy to navigate. Also my luggage was perfectly checked through - even with all this delays and confusions on the forward run I always got my backpack back!

I hope, this information might be useful for some readers,
save travels,
Prism
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: United Plat and falling
Originally Posted by shadowline

Also, is there an ATM airside at NBO that I can withdraw USD from?
Airside there is definitely a barclay's atm, but I've never used it, so I don't know if it has USD. There are forex bureaus airside, if that is of help.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Hi

I'm looking to book flights for our trip next year (September 16)- I want to do a booking with BA connecting with Precision Airways in Nairobi through to Kilimanjaro Airport.

The first BA flight lands into NBO at 20.55 assuming no delays, the connecting flight with Precision Air is at 22.20. This would all be done on one ticket.

Would we be okay to make this connection? If we were delayed and missed it would BA put us on the next flight? I believe the next flight would be in the morning - what would we do over night?

Do we need to collect bags and check them on to the next flight? Would we have to go through any kind of immigration here or are we met and taken to our next flight?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:42 pm

No guarantee that Precision Air will still be in business then. Massive and increasing operating losses.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
As you are on one ticket, you can ask BA at LHR to check your bags through to JRO. They should be able to do this. If not, you need to go to the transit Kenya Airways transit desk on arrival, and show them you bag tags, and get them to, or go with them to get your bags. Usually luggage off the BA flight is quite slow.

The KQ staff can then check you and your luggage in for PW.

Your connection time is quite tight, so incase you don't make it, you will need to overnight. Doubt either BA or PW will give you accommodation.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Sabasi
No guarantee that Precision Air will still be in business then. Massive and increasing operating losses.
Even if PW is still around, the chances that their schedule will be the same by next September is virtually nil. Which further increases chances of misconnect.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Well, just to update and thank you for your help!

We ended up cashing in lots of our BA reward points and it seems rather long winded but we ended up booking two sets of reward flights which was much cheaper then any other option - we booked return reward flights to Doha, Qatar, and then a return reward flight between Doha and Kili, opting to stay a night a Doha on the way back. It's out delayed honeymoon trip and the thought missing a flight and things being tense to make connecting flights just didn't sound ideal. Saving was incredible too. £747 fo 2 of us to get there, even with hotel costs in Doha that was cheaper than anything else I could find.

Thank you for your advice - I had no idea about there being any issues with Precision Air and I looked into it after your post and like you said, no guarantee they'll still be in service then.

Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:18 pm

Transfer in nbo to jro

Hi. Sorry to ask the same question again. But we are booked on QAtar from jfk via Qatar to nbo. And then separate ticket via precision air to jro. Do you know if Qatar will check all the way to jro. Or will we have to get our bags and recheck in? We only have 2 hours so worried about all this working. Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: TK *G
Question

I will have two quite tight connections in NBO in about two/three weeks.
The first AMS - NBO - KGL (both flights with KQ) and 75min connection time.
Second connection is KGL - NBO - AMS (first KQ, second KLM) with 105 minutes.

- Is that doable or very risky?
- How much time do one usually need to transfer in NBO?
- Is there any priority/fast security lane for Skyteam Elite Plus members for 'smoothening up' the transfer process?

I wonder if i should fly without checked luggage to make suke my laggage does make it to Kigali.

What is your experience?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toctoc
Is AMS - NBO - KGL on 1 ticket/PNR? Or separate tickets?
Is KGL - NBO - AMS on 1 ticket/PNR? Or separate tickets?
Class of travel? (Business class gets off first)
Checked baggage?
Passport of which country?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:39 am

- Is that doable or very risky?
- How much time do one usually need to transfer in NBO?
- Is there any priority/fast security lane for Skyteam Elite Plus members for 'smoothening up' the transfer process?

I wonder if i should fly without checked luggage to make suke my laggage does make it to Kigali.

What is your experience?
If you are on a single ticket and simply transiting airside, you have more than enough time provided the flights are on time. If you need to exit immigration, collect baggage and check-in again then you will not have enough time. An airside transit is doable in 30-45 mins without issues - even if you have to be bussed to the terminal. If baggage is checked through to final destination, there is plenty of time for the transfer.

There is a SKY PRIORITY lane at transit security, but it is very rarely enforced. Anyone can and does just stroll into it and none of the minders say a word.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK *G
It's all on the same ticket (economy). German passport. Thanks for the reply so far.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:48 am

It's all on the same ticket (economy).
Then you should be fine, NBO airport is small and easy to transfer.
If your incoming flight is delayed and there is a long queue at security, just ask PAX if you can skip the queue, normally it works quite well.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:04 pm

Need advice on transfers

I have a very tight transfer. I will be flying South African Airways from Johannesburg to Nairobi.. Our flight arrives at terminal 1B at 3:05PM.. Our Precision Airlines flight is scheduled to depart at 16:50 from terminal 1A. Most importantly, is there anything that can be done to expedite the process? I am really afraid I am going to miss that plane. I have been losing sleep over it. I did not realize that Precision closes their checkin an hour before the flight when I booked this. Should we buy another set of tickets for a later time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.