Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Global Hotel Alliance DISCOVERY Loyalty Program Q+A Thread (ARCHIVE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts on GHA and DISCOVERY may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1064040-global-hotel-alliance-unveils-loyalty-program.html

Please Note - As of November, 2019 - Former Official Company Representative DISCOVERYLady is no longer an active member of FlyerTalk.

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Acting Moderator
Other Hotel Chains Forum
Print Wikipost

Global Hotel Alliance DISCOVERY Loyalty Program Q+A Thread (ARCHIVE)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...lty-programme/

I wonder if this will be happening anytime in the near future?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kaizen7
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...lty-programme/

I wonder if this will be happening anytime in the near future?
More brands and hotels in GHA would definitely be welcome
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:29 am

So the double night credit promo ends tomorrow, right? With many hotel chains already announcing lower elite qualifying requirements for 2021, I hope GHA will follow suit either by renewing the double night credit or other forms of incentives. Sounds like for January (and perhaps longer) other chains such as Hyatt and Hilton will be more attractive because the GHA promo is expiring.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:52 am

Today January 1st I see in my GHA account dashboard that the promo has been renewed. We have to sign up again however, but it's still double night credit from Jan 1 to March 31st.

Last edited by escape4; Jan 1, 2021 at 12:58 am
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Nice, not sure if I can use but will register anyway
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:23 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by DISCOVERY Loyalty
Hi, Yes we do offer status match. Please send an email to [email protected] and a representative will be in touch with you.
Of course, no where did they say that if you use the 2 nights stay for PLT, that you can't also match to Black, which was the email response I got from them. Oh well, not much more benefit to being black anyway, it just would have been nice to be clear and upfront aboutit.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
Oh well, not much more benefit to being black anyway,
I do not consider myself to be a GHA Discovery expert, but based on my limited experience I think it depends quite a bit on which property. At some hotels, you are right a 1 or 2 category upgrade will not make a big difference, but some hotels have a sweet spot such that if you book a certain room type, +2 can be a much nicer upgrade than +1 and provide excellent value.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:21 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by escape4
I do not consider myself to be a GHA Discovery expert, but based on my limited experience I think it depends quite a bit on which property. At some hotels, you are right a 1 or 2 category upgrade will not make a big difference, but some hotels have a sweet spot such that if you book a certain room type, +2 can be a much nicer upgrade than +1 and provide excellent value.
At least this year, with the occupancy way off, the rate differences are not so great, so I actually paid up, getting breakfast and 2-30 minute massages included, on a sea view room, which made the difference minimal to nil. For Black, 30 nights, even if they extend the 2x promo, would be difficult, and probably not cost effective since PLT gets the same local experience and an amenity, though may not be as good as the Black level amenity.

My point was, be careful, keep your expectations in check as always, since the T&C's are not spelled..
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:58 am

At least this year, with the occupancy way off, the rate differences are not so great, so I actually paid up, getting breakfast and 2-30 minute massages included, on a sea view room, which made the difference minimal to nil. For Black, 30 nights, even if they extend the 2x promo, would be difficult, and probably not cost effective since PLT gets the same local experience and an amenity, though may not be as good as the Black level amenity.
I guess what I meant is that assuming you were referring to a property specifically, I don't doubt that the difference might have been slim to none in your situation. But I have seen a few properties where you can see material differences in upgrades +2 instead of +1 (can be a suite instead of a view room) so I would be see Black having value at those properties, if we peg it correctly.

The Black experiences are worth roughly double the value Platinum experiences (maybe 100-120 USD vs 50-60 USD) so that's some benefit, but mostly on short stays. For longer stays, for me the value comes through room upgrades rather than the Local Experiences.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:16 am

I guess what I meant is that assuming you were referring to a property specifically, I don't doubt that the difference might have been slim to none in your situation. But I have seen a few properties where you can see material differences in upgrades +2 instead of +1 (can be a suite instead of a view room) so I would be see Black having value at those properties, if we peg it correctly.

The Black experiences are worth roughly double the value Platinum experiences (maybe 100-120 USD vs 50-60 USD) so that's some benefit, but mostly on short stays. For longer stays, for me the value comes through room upgrades rather than the Local Experiences.
Thanks, that's good to know. Probably would make sense to purchase Anartara's timeshare deal, as you can get their 2 bedroom suites for US$125 a night. At least that's their pitch.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
. Oh well, not much more benefit to being black anyway, it just would have been nice to be clear and upfront about.
As a Black level member staying at Omni hotels in the U.S., I've had some significant room upgrades as well as over the top amenities. I had a suite at the William Penn in Pittsburgh which was huge and an amenity that was a meal for two. I can't say there hasn't been odd losers from time to time, such as freshly made pork rinds, with the hotel's own special hot sauce and South African red wine (I won't mention the property, my other stays there had more usual amenities)! But over all, Black status at Omni for me is about equal to my old diamond level treatment at Hyatts.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:49 am

I believe this strategy works well with GHA hotels and Accor hotels most of the time.

Book 1 cat below suite and they most likely upgrade you to the suite

So far from 20 or so stays with GHA, only 1 failed to upgrade me which is Capella Ubud.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:38 pm

only 1 failed to upgrade me which is Capella Ubud.
Was the hotel full? Why no upgrade?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:45 am

I book middle level villa and they happily tell me that I receive double upgrade to that villa.
When I told them that the one I actually booked, they never mentioned anything and put me to that villa.
No change.

Occupancy was low at that time.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:35 am

I book middle level villa and they happily tell me that I receive double upgrade to that villa.
When I told them that the one I actually booked, they never mentioned anything and put me to that villa.
No change.

Occupancy was low at that time.
In that case, thumbs down to this property

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.