Wiki Posts
Search

Trip FAIL....HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Trip FAIL....HELP?!

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
You guys here have been amazing at teaching me, but I am having an issue....My husband and I were heading to Punta Cana for a wedding in November, staying at Hard Rock with UR pts, flying with SW. However our childcare fell through and now we have to bring our 4 kids under the age of 10 with us. Now I don't know what points to switch where in order to minimize out of pocket expenses...

Currently I have
250,000HH
60,000 SW
120,000 UR
$400 in UA vouchers

Hard Rock is now going to cost 57,000 UR points per night, so we only have enough for 2 nights....but we don't necessarily have to stay there.

So, I didn't know what the best way to do this would be....could I get a HH resort in Punta Cana, and maybe use UR for flights? Or maybe transfer UR to UA or SW? Or maybe there is another UR card that I can have my husband get to boost my points really quick? I'm ok paying some oop, i just don't want to trade points and get a really bad value. How would you do this?

oh, btw, I didn't get a SW companion pass since I didn't get approved to the Business card..

thanks so much!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd look some more for childcare options. 57k per night is too many points to blow.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

I know, 57000 per night is insane. Unfortunately we don't have a choice at this point. I wish we did! Believe me!!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I was thinking taking the SW points and converting them to UR points. That should be another free night, right? Then maybe using Hilton points to convert to UA, if that's even possible? And booking my flights that way....

But I have never converted before, and beyond knowing that there are good conversions and bad conversions, I know nothing.....I need an expert opinion
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Or maybe getting a United Airlines credit card since I already have the $400 credit on UA. The only thing is tickets are $700 on United. So,I don't see how that would be a lot of savings....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Irka
I was thinking taking the SW points and converting them to UR points. That should be another free night, right? Then maybe using Hilton points to convert to UA, if that's even possible? And booking my flights that way....

But I have never converted before, and beyond knowing that there are good conversions and bad conversions, I know nothing.....I need an expert opinion
You can't convert SW points to UR though...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobguo
You can't convert SW points to UR though...
Yes, that is true. I have figured it out in my research. I think the most I can do is convert UR to flights and combine that with my SW points. But then we are in the hole for an all inclusive hotel for a family of 6 for 5-6 days. I was looking at Costco travel. And then potentially erasing part of that with Venture card points. But I'm not sure if that will qualify as travel (how do they classify that?) and on top of it will be still left with a hearty out of pocket for the all inclusive hotel for us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.