Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Kimpton charging for not-taken minibar items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

On three of my last four stays at a Kimpton hotel, I've noticed a mysterious credit card charge for $5-12, and called to ask. They said that it's a charge for a minibar item.

Seriously? I have not taken any such items (and when I "raid the bar", I always tell them at checkout).

This points to a combination of problems:
  • Poor inventory control -- items already missing before guests arrive
  • Poor customer service -- no proactive notification of item found missing

The least they could do before charging my credit card would be to ask me whether I consumed item X.

Incredibly annoying, and seems to be part of a new trend. Anyone else?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA
On three of my last four stays at a Kimpton hotel, I've noticed a mysterious credit card charge for $5-12, and called to ask. They said that it's a charge for a minibar item.

Seriously? I have not taken any such items (and when I "raid the bar", I always tell them at checkout).

• Poor inventory control -- items already missing before guests arrive
  • Poor customer service -- no proactive notification of item found missing

The least they could do before charging my credit card would be to ask me whether I consumed item X.

Incredibly annoying, and seems to be part of a new trend. Anyone else?
That happens quite often to me!
Did you ask for a refund?

Last edited by aqwe; Apr 16, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aqwe
That happens quite often to me!
Did you ask for a refund?
Yes. If I call and ask for a refund, they give me a refund.

But the point is that I shouldn't have to examine my credit card statements in order to not get ripped off. If they're going to charge my credit card for allegedly purchased minibar items, they should call or email me first to check whether I actually consumed those items.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:47 am

This has happened to me a few times recently as well. Has been rectified pretty quickly with a phone call or email, but still kind of a pain after what is usually a great stay.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:17 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Hi Everyone,
You're right - this is a pain, and not one you should have to deal with on a regular basis. I promise we'll put more training around this issue in the future and, in the meantime, apologies for the frustration.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
Hi Everyone,
You're right - this is a pain, and not one you should have to deal with on a regular basis. I promise we'll put more training around this issue in the future and, in the meantime, apologies for the frustration.
Thanks, glad to hear it.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by SJC AA
If it makes you feel any better, the Seattle Monaco just charged me full price, almost $300, for a reservation where I redeemed an Inner Circle reward night.

It's hard to get upset at Kimpton because in general the staff works very hard to fix any problems and they try their best. Customer service is certainly a strength. In the end, however, these types of human errors reflect poorly as very amateurish. I've never been charged revenue prices for an award night by Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, or Club Carlson. Kimpton was the first to ever make that mistake in my travels.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Am I the only one that looks at their bill before they check out to be sure the charges are correct?

I did have an issue at Amara in Sedona. Several charges from the Spa appeared on our room bill. It did take a couple of tries for it all to be sorted out, but it was done with a few phone calls. It was a PITA at the time, but if that is the worst thing that happens to me while traveling...I am pretty ok with it.

I did note this past trip to The Monaco in Denver; I was charged for the mini bar items with tax and then the items were credited, but the sales tax remained for those items. It was all of $.80 but I didn't think that I had seen that before.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DebitNM
Am I the only one that looks at their bill before they check out to be sure the charges are correct?

The problem is that in this case the charges aren't on the final bill. Housekeeping "discovers" that items were "taken" and then they just silently charge your credit card a day or two after checkout, without asking. And the only way you'll ever notice is if you're in the habit of checking your credit card bill. (Many people aren't.)
Old May 4, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Got it. Thanks. And I do.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Way too much time spent on this. When you find Kimpton scamming you like this (and this is a scam because it happens often):

1. Send in a webform complaint, asking for the refund to be issued immediately.
2. Wait a few days.
3. If the credit does not show up, dispute the scam mini-bar charge through your CC, noting expressly that you did not take the item(s) and that the charges were added after you left.

This reduces your time and increases Kimpton's processing time. Processing time costs Kimpton money and will lead to an end to this much better than a post on FT.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
This is odd - it has never happened to me.

Maybe it's because I always us my coupon and tell them what I took for the road on my last day.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ciba
This is odd - it has never happened to me.

Maybe it's because I always us my coupon and tell them what I took for the road on my last day.
Yes, I do that too. And they mysteriously "find" extra things I "took".
Old May 12, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton

Glad I saw this thread. Just found that the Sir Francis Drake charged my card an extra $17.40 for minibar items from a recent stay. All I had was the obligatory bottle of vodka for the road with my $10 raid the minibar which was credited off my bill at check out.

Time for a phone call... (Sigh)
Old May 13, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Even with this annoyance my LOVE for the Kimpton is still strong!

The OP (SJC AA) has it right:

Poor inventory control -- items already missing before guests arrive
Poor customer service -- no proactive notification of item found missing

I have found spoiled leftovers still in the fridge from a previous guest (I assume this means that the inventory was not checked.) With dozens of variously shaped items in the minibar offering/basket I totally understand how mistakes can happen.

Some method of notification of the charge would be great. (Along with online printing of folios.)

I just ran the numbers and this happens to me on 6% of my stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.