Wiki Posts
Search

OK+ Upgrade procedures

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
OK+ Upgrade procedures

I wonder what the procedures are for upgrading in OK+. The official line doesn't give you much more than that you can be upgraded from an Elite level - but nothing about precedence.

I actually think there is one - bureaucracy in Czech Republic is quite well developed - Kafka lived in Prague for most of his life. And the subjects of his writing were more often than not ruled by procedures that did not know and couldn't know, but still were applied to them - does that ring a bell?

I will state the procedure for precedence (who is upgraded first) as I perceive it:

From PRG

1. On OK+ level
2. On paid rate
3. On time of arrival (till about 30 minutes before departure) - after that only on that criterium

From AMS, CDG

1. Depending on to what extent the gate agent has been initiated in the Procedure
a. if not - on order of arrival - OK+ level does not matter
b. if yes - according to the PRG procdure, until some unspecified time after which boarding documents are printed and then no upgrades are issued anymore, independent of availability

From other destinations (where upgrades are issued by the check-in agent, and not at the gate)

1. according to a prepared list, possibly set up according to PRG procedure
2. If that list doesn't exist: on time of arrival at check-in
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Kvet01
From PRG

1. On OK+ level
2. On paid rate
3. On time of arrival (till about 30 minutes before departure) - after that only on that criterium

From AMS, CDG

1. Depending on to what extent the gate agent has been initiated in the Procedure
a. if not - on order of arrival - OK+ level does not matter
b. if yes - according to the PRG procdure, until some unspecified time after which boarding documents are printed and then no upgrades are issued anymore, independent of availability
For what it's worth, my experience last month when my flights were overbooked

AMS-PRG, OK operated, OK ticket: opup to 6 Czech schoolkids. teachers and rest of their class in the back though

PRG-AMS, KL operated, OK ticket: opup to 3 FB E+ pax at gate
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
For what it's worth, my experience last month when my flights were overbooked

AMS-PRG, OK operated, OK ticket: opup to 6 Czech schoolkids. teachers and rest of their class in the back though

PRG-AMS, KL operated, OK ticket: opup to 3 FB E+ pax at gate
Interesting - do you have status in the Czech airlines OK+ programme and were you yourself upgraded on any of these flights?

Also: they were playing fast and loose with KL rules, because FB shouldn't help you at all when you have an OK ticket. Certainly the other way round it doesnt work.

Two years ago when I was FB Plat and OK Gold (no Plat then available in OK) I was flying on a KL ticket with an OK operated flight. They made a mistake at check-in with upgrading me - which was then 'corrected' at the gate and I was issued a regular economy boarding pass - while NOBODY was in C (I was the last passenger to board). The other way around they don't have that many compunctions obviously.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:32 am

Interesting - do you have status in the Czech airlines OK+ programme and were you yourself upgraded on any of these flights?

Also: they were playing fast and loose with KL rules, because FB shouldn't help you at all when you have an OK ticket. Certainly the other way round it doesnt work.

Two years ago when I was FB Plat and OK Gold (no Plat then available in OK) I was flying on a KL ticket with an OK operated flight. They made a mistake at check-in with upgrading me - which was then 'corrected' at the gate and I was issued a regular economy boarding pass - while NOBODY was in C (I was the last passenger to board). The other way around they don't have that many compunctions obviously.
I was not one of the schoolkids but I was one of the 3 FB PE with an opup on the KL operated segment. I have no OK status, only AF/KL. I guess that these opups were done behind a desk in AMS for the KL flight regardless of OK or KL issued ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:46 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Well, not if these were op-ups. If economy is overbooked somebody needs to be upgraded to business. Hopefully (I have now clue what the actual situation is) the pecking order then is OK+ Plat, OK+ Gold, ST Elite Plus, OK+ Silver, ST Elite. So upgrading FB elites seems like the right thing to do if there were no OK+ elites.

When it comes to elite upgrades, that is a different matter. These of course should only be given to OK+ elites.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:15 am

Unhappy Upgrades on OK Flights

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Well, not if these were op-ups. If economy is overbooked somebody needs to be upgraded to business. Hopefully (I have now clue what the actual situation is) the pecking order then is OK+ Plat, OK+ Gold, ST Elite Plus, OK+ Silver, ST Elite. So upgrading FB elites seems like the right thing to do if there were no OK+ elites.

When it comes to elite upgrades, that is a different matter. These of course should only be given to OK+ elites.

I was next on the list to be upgraded from Prague to NY. I had a Gold card. And was told I would be the next one upgraded.
A young lady -- who looked about 20 went up to the desk, and said she was tired and wanted an upgrade. The Agent said I was the next and last one to be upgraded. The girl started to winne, and was give my upgrade. Hardly fair...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by revrobertwalsh
I was next on the list to be upgraded from Prague to NY. I had a Gold card. And was told I would be the next one upgraded.
A young lady -- who looked about 20 went up to the desk, and said she was tired and wanted an upgrade. The Agent said I was the next and last one to be upgraded. The girl started to winne, and was give my upgrade. Hardly fair...
I've seen this many times before, only with Czech younger women though and male check-in agents......
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Not sure if this is something new, but listed on CSA website now is that you can check in at the airport, with luggage, up to 24 hours earlier.

http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/passenge...y/check_in.htm

Wonder if they alredy then put you on the upgrade waiting list.....

Given I live about 10 mins away from the airport, I might have to try this on my next trip.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:14 pm

Unhappy Yes..Yes

Originally Posted by bobsmo
I've seen this many times before, only with Czech younger women though and male check-in agents......
Yes, the CSA agent was male, and the passenger was a blond Czech young lady.
Sad.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
Originally Posted by bobsmo
Not sure if this is something new, but listed on CSA website now is that you can check in at the airport, with luggage, up to 24 hours earlier.

http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/passenge...y/check_in.htm

Wonder if they alredy then put you on the upgrade waiting list.....

Given I live about 10 mins away from the airport, I might have to try this on my next trip.

I'm about 15 mins away - knowing the answer to this question would be great.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gnopps

You are right there - on op-up even in Amsterdam the "lets pre-upgrade the elites" procedure kicks in - and you dont have to (and I assume you even cannot) request an upgrade. Happened to me twice last two years (which is not very often - considering about haven flown that leg about 100 times in that period. For some reason never encountered overbooking in PRG.
Old May 9, 2009, 7:12 am

You are right there - on op-up even in Amsterdam the "lets pre-upgrade the elites" procedure kicks in - and you dont have to (and I assume you even cannot) request an upgrade. Happened to me twice last two years (which is not very often - considering about haven flown that leg about 100 times in that period. For some reason never encountered overbooking in PRG.
My point in posting the example was that in AMS on the OK flight they (op-) upgraded some schoolkids, so I doubt that they followed any rules (they weren't all blond). On the return, they followed KL rules and I got the op-up with an OK ticket and KL status.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: OK+; DL Skymiles; SAS EB; HHonors
Purchasing Upgrades

What is the real story and does it really work with being able to purchase upgrades at check-in? Is this only in PRG? Anyone tried it yet?
Old May 12, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CSAFI
What is the real story and does it really work with being able to purchase upgrades at check-in? Is this only in PRG? Anyone tried it yet?
Didn't try it yet - nor have I been denied a free upgrade in PRG since the start of this story. Also I never saw anyone purchasing one. They are advertising it in the May-June edition of their In-Flight magazine; maybe that gives it a wider attention.

According to the rules it is only for flights originating from PRG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.