Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland Air FF Alliances?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: OZ*G
Originally Posted by Firewind
Having essentially no FF program or partners could position them to be Southwest's Europe partner. Southwest is very public that they're on the hunt. Icelandair is their only tolerable and logical option. By all indications, Southwest, WestAir and Volaris are all going back to the drawing board in favor of one common program, or each having one that looks like the others. Doesn't Icelandair already fly into several Southwest stations? And Southwest did choose Terminal E at BOS. @:-)

[Ducking.]
Can Southwest even codeshare with anyone?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...westjet-2.html
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by hoto
Can Southwest even codeshare with anyone?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...westjet-2.html
Southwest sure were going to with WestJet and Volaris. Until they weren't.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by derteilzeitberliner
As I understand it, Saga Club is worthless unless you live in Iceland.

Points can't be used/earned on other airlines or elsewhere outside Iceland. However, if you live in Iceland and get one of their credit cards, it can be a good way to earn vacations abroad.

So let's think of Saga Club as a kind of subsidy for Icelanders :P
Well, you can transfer the points to HHonors , Marriott or Raddison if you don't like the points.com thing
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:28 am

If you travel Icelandair in "economy class special" (one of the 5 economy classes they offer) you will receive as Icelandair FF miles less than 20% of the miles you traveled.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by u600213
Well, you can transfer the points to HHonors , Marriott or Raddison if you don't like the points.com thing
I'm not very familiar with the hotel-related points programs.

How can miles (e.g. from Icelandair's FF program) be transferred to Marriott or HHonors points programs?

And would the transfers be on a 1 mile for 1 point basis?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by muji
If you travel Icelandair in "economy class special" (one of the 5 economy classes they offer) you will receive as Icelandair FF miles less than 20% of the miles you traveled.
I went to a travel show in Boston a couple of months ago, and visited IcelandAir's booth. I mentioned the idea of them becoming Southwest's long sought-after international partner (that my bet was on it). They said they loved the idea (maybe just to be nice) but added "IcelandAir the Nordic airline, Southwest the sunshine airline -- what a combination, what a marketing theme!" (The premise of course being that IcelandAir and Southwest are the two airlines in those categories still unaligned.)

I brought up their FF program in a somewhat critical light, with something like the above post as an example. The response was, "You've gotta understand that FF programs aren't the main reason that people fly an airline..." Point taken.....
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:57 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
Originally Posted by Firewind
I brought up their FF program in a somewhat critical light, with something like the above post as an example. The response was, "You've gotta understand that FF programs aren't the main reason that people fly an airline..." Point taken.....
No surprise from a company who enjoys a near-complete monopoly on its routes to/from its base country.

But then, if a FF programme is not important to them, why is Saga Club an option on so "many" credit cards issued in Iceland?
Old May 2, 2010, 3:42 pm

I'm not very familiar with the hotel-related points programs.

How can miles (e.g. from Icelandair's FF program) be transferred to Marriott or HHonors points programs?

And would the transfers be on a 1 mile for 1 point basis?
I'm still curious about this transfer possibility. Anyone have information on how a transfer to Marriott or Hilton from Icelandair can be accomplished? Although I don't have many Icelandair miles I wouldn't mind transferring them to somewhere where they could come in handy.
Old May 2, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I'm still curious about this transfer possibility. Anyone have information on how a transfer to Marriott or Hilton from Icelandair can be accomplished? Although I don't have many Icelandair miles I wouldn't mind transferring them to somewhere where they could come in handy.
This is a useful tool to use: Webflyer Mileage Converter
Old May 2, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
This is a useful tool to use: Webflyer Mileage Converter
Thank you, lin821.
Just took a quick look at it.
It looks like it will be useful for me - and others.
Appreciate your posting it.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I think Diners Club converts to Saga at a rate of 1:1.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:05 pm

Icelandair Fare Sale - Need to book by June/20

Icelandair just reduced airfare to select European cities from Toronto for travel between October 1 and 20.

Book by June 20 to save up to $230 on flights to Europe, including a free stop-over in Reykjavik, Iceland. Here are some sample roundtrip fares from Toronto (prices include taxes):

- Reykjavik ... $462
- Amsterdam ... $696
- Oslo ... $708
- Stockholm ... $710
- Copenhagen ... $773

Here is the link:-
http://www.icelandair.ca/offers-and-...campaign=fares
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What about for travel from BOS to REK in Jan? There don't seem to be any promos but this would seem to be a very low season?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
The Iceland Air FF program is terrible when it comes to redemption availability as well.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Be aware that Icelanair operated some 757-200 (without winglets) which have an old style (or let's say US domestic F class) seats) with no IFE or AVOD. It is bearable on the flights like CPH-KEF which are under 3 hours but this C seat is not good to seat for 5h for sure.
Also I've noticed that Eco Extra seats are very narrow there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.