Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Malta - Information, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking at combining an award ticket (TATL) with flight to MLA from AMS.

Looks like you have to pay the highest business fares to get an allowance greater than 20 KG for one checked bag.

The carryon allowance seems to be pretty restrictive too, 20 x 40 x55 cm a very thin carryon case:

https://www.airmalta.com/information...e/hand-baggage

They fly an A320 so are the overhead bins that small?

Do they check at the gate, size up your carryon roller and weigh it?

Also not much said about the personal item, which can include laptop and camera cases.

Would also be looking at flying KM from MLA to PMO as well.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Strange call this morning from Air Malta.

We are flying FCO-MLA next week in Business.
Agent said that the flight is now all Economy.
However it's the same plane, and we have the same 1D and 1F seats, and 1E is blocked.
Did they just not want to cater this flight??

Any one heard of this before?

Reservation now says CLASS: SPOIL YOURSELF.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
'spoil yourself ' is KM's eco flex.

KM codeshares ex FCO, the KM25xx are operated by AZ. Maybe you got stuck on those.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
If you're lucky, they'll hand out cold hotdog rolls with fish inside them as a snack...
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
'spoil yourself ' is KM's eco flex.
KM codeshares ex FCO, the KM25xx are operated by AZ. Maybe you got stuck on those.
Thanks oliver2002. It's KM613 so definitely KM metal. AZ has its own flight 15 minutes earlier. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by melkor
If you're lucky, they'll hand out cold hotdog rolls with fish inside them as a snack...
Joy. On the bright side, at least we'll get a refund for the same seat.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Hmm, what kind of dishes is Maltese cuisine known for?

Maybe they copy a lot from nearby Italy?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
I want to fly from MLA to TUN on Air Malta in May 2019, as of today Air Malta's MLA to TUN flights only go through March 2019. Does anyone know if this is just a seasonal flight and not offered all year? I see that Air Malta has flights from MLA to LHR/CDG/FCO/etc... in the months of April/May/June/etc... in 2019, so Air Malta's flight schedule has been released through September 2019, but there is nothing for the MLA to TUN flight, I just hope this is not a seasonal fight, does anyone happen to know?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I was wondering if I flew LH operated flights (i.e. MLA - FRA - LHR) that were booked through the KM website, would I still get *A benefits e.g. luggage, lounge access? (Am SQ PPS and therefore *A Gold). The KM website doesn't let you enter a *A member number unless it's M&M. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What is Air Malta like these days? I presume, as Ryanair have an interest in them and even sell their flights on their site, that it is totally low cost with everything from baggage to catering for sale separately.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Concerto
What is Air Malta like these days? I presume, as Ryanair have an interest in them and even sell their flights on their site, that it is totally low cost with everything from baggage to catering for sale separately.
I'm not sure I understand the question. But one place to start would be Air Maltas website, which makes clear that bags are included in all but the cheapest fares .
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question is, what is Air Malta like these days? Is it a low cost nickel and dime outfit like Ryanair, or is it more like a conventional airline, with proper service?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:33 pm
Suspended

If you want to go to Malta, there may be no other choice as far as direct flights.

So how the airline is is kind of irrelevant.

Yeah you can fly LH but then connect through FRA or MUC.

Not bad if you're coming from outside of Europe. But if you're in Italy or France say, do you want to fly through FRA to get to Malta? Or maybe AZ has some flights connecting through FCO but do you want to fly an Italian airline these days?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wco81
If you want to go to Malta, there may be no other choice as far as direct flights.

So how the airline is is kind of irrelevant.

Yeah you can fly LH but then connect through FRA or MUC.

Not bad if you're coming from outside of Europe. But if you're in Italy or France say, do you want to fly through FRA to get to Malta? Or maybe AZ has some flights connecting through FCO but do you want to fly an Italian airline these days?
There are literally five other airlines with nonstop flights from Italy or France to Malta (Alitalia, Volotea, easyJet, Ryanair, Transavia). So there would indeed be a choice. That said, the flights are short and the airlines website is fairly clear. You can also Google "Air Malta trip report"
"proper service" is in the eye of the beholder.
Air Malta is not Qatar or Cathay. I'm not sure if you realize but a lot of European flag carriers don't give free food or bags anymore.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by spd
Hi guys,

Was wondering if any of you had experience of flying with Air Malta.

I am getting married in Malta next year, and a number of guests will be flying over for the wedding from the UK and Ireland.

For most of us Air Malta will be the easiest/cheapest option, but some of our guests will have more choices. Should I recommend Air Malta, or are other carriers better? I think BA are the main carrier from the UK.

Thanks,
Sean
I flew Air Malta last year to Malta from Rome and back. No complaints. Would recommend.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good to know, because I read somewhere that Ryanair has their fingers in Air Malta, possibly a takeover. I just mentioned in the Ryanair thread that my upcoming flights from Cologne to Berlin on Ryanair will apparently be operated by Air Malta. At some point in the near future I will try Air Malta too! It is such an interesting place (Malta) I would like to go back there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.