Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Wizzair cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Help with Wizzair cancelled flight

Hello All, I have a Wizz air flight from Larnaca to Jeddah. The flight was due to take place in August unfortunately it has been cancelled. That route has been stopped by wizz air so the option of flying from Larnaca to Jeddah via wizzair is no longer there. Wizzair are only offering to reimburse me my money or pay me in credits with 20 percent extra. If this flight originated from the UK I would have taken wizzair to court for alternative flights. However this flights originated in Larnaca. Has anyone had this dillemma before or has some knowledge on how I could get wizz air to pay for alternative flights. We are a party of eight so the costs of booking alternative flights are quite substantial.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Mwanafunz!

Since Wizz Air is discussed in Other European Airlines I am moving your post to that forum.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Forget it, you will never get Wizz Air for a ticket with another airline; despite Wizz Air being under a duty to do so. You will end up spending endless time on this and you will have to purchase the new ticket on your own and hope that Wizz Air will reimburse afterwards (which will most likely not happen). Take a refund and book a new ticket on your own, i.e. move on as it is not worth the fight.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Forget it, you will never get Wizz Air for a ticket with another airline; despite Wizz Air being under a duty to do so. You will end up spending endless time on this and you will have to purchase the new ticket on your own and hope that Wizz Air will reimburse afterwards (which will most likely not happen). Take a refund and book a new ticket on your own, i.e. move on as it is not worth the fight.
Yes I get the impression they will not rebook me, I can live with that. However they are obligated by EU Law to reroute me as far as I understand the law. I don't want them to get away with it. So was wondering what are the options for me. How do I make them follow the rules or at least compensate me for rerouting myself. I don't mind fronting the money and then getting it back via an ombudsman or regulatory authority.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - in Cyprus? Good luck!
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK - in Cyprus? Good luck!
Cyprus is part of the EU. Surely they can't just ignore rules??
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Romania, Bulgaria etc is also part of EU....You seem to have high confidence in being able to enforce rules even in countries that has the opposite tradition and reputation.

Why do you think Russians immigrate to Cyprus? Not because of the nice weather...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mwanafunzi
Cyprus is part of the EU. Surely they can't just ignore rules??
The EU left enforcement of the regulation to individual member nations and their various national laws and their “National Enforcement Body” all of whom have different powers and willingness to enforce (or not). And failing that the courts.

For example there isn’t a set Europe wide timescale for filing a claim.

Some nations are not as enthusiastic as we might like in their enforcement.
SK AAR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.