Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone flown Azores Air recently

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue, AsiaMiles, Miles&Smiles, United, JetBlue, British Air, Iberia, Qatar, AA, Kris Flyer
Anyone flown Azores Air recently

My husband and I are trying to find one way business class fares to Paris in the Fall. The least expensive fare we can find is on Azores Air. There is a stopover in the Azores, which we can use to stay there for five days, which is definitely a plus. I know that the seats are not lie flat, but it is under six hours of flight time from NYC and neither of us sleep much on an overseas flight anyway, even in lie flat seats. Does anyone know who maintains their planes? How reliable are they? Any other info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:51 pm

I flew YYZ to PDL this past summer in business class and lucked out with an equipment change. They swapped to a 777 (operated by EuroAtlantic Airways), so I ended up with a full lie flat seat and had a great experience. I know that doesn't really help with your question, but I would say a stopover in the Azores is definitely worth it.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:54 am

Flying out of the US gives you some passenger rights with the DOT.

Portuguese airlines and portuguese government could not care less about passengers. Azores had their Q400 flown to the continent as the regulator was unable to dispatch an employee to the islands for inspection. The newest A320N had to be parked for weeks for the same incompetence and Azores had to wetlease a White A320.

I am flying with that airline if it is absolutely the cheapest. Bear in mind the business class is comparable to a premium economy so I would not pay more than $1.3k return. TP often has real business class tickets starting at €1k return or Norse for €300 oneway in Premium.

The Azores are beautiful however so worthwhile the adventure of dealing with a portuguese state owned airline.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue, AsiaMiles, Miles&Smiles, United, JetBlue, British Air, Iberia, Qatar, AA, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by estrela
Flying out of the US gives you some passenger rights with the DOT.

Portuguese airlines and portuguese government could not care less about passengers. Azores had their Q400 flown to the continent as the regulator was unable to dispatch an employee to the islands for inspection. The newest A320N had to be parked for weeks for the same incompetence and Azores had to wetlease a White A320.

I am flying with that airline if it is absolutely the cheapest. Bear in mind the business class is comparable to a premium economy so I would not pay more than $1.3k return. TP often has real business class tickets starting at €1k return or Norse for €300 oneway in Premium.

The Azores are beautiful however so worthwhile the adventure of dealing with a portuguese state owned airline.
We are looking for one-way fares and Azores is the cheapest. We've always wanted to visit the Azores, so this might be the way to do it. I guess we'll just lower our expectations
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Safety and maintenance-wise all Portuguese airlines have high maintenance standards. I wouldn't worry about any of that

Service-wise it's hit and miss. Delay-wise it's also a bit hit and miss, but if there's a delay it won't be for more than an hour or two.
Their 330s have angle-flat seats, while the 320s/321s have either a blocked middle or a 2+3 config with a slightly wider biz seat.

On visiting the Azores, fall is the best time to visit - it's still warm enough and usually not very rainy, no crowds, and the ocean water is warm enough to swim in (unlike in Continental Portugal). If you want to see no people, do a side trip to any other island. Săo Miguel (where PDL is) has 140k people, Terceira has about 50k, while others have 5-20k, so you'll likely see more cows than people
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Safety and maintenance-wise all Portuguese airlines have high maintenance standards. I wouldn't worry about any of that

Service-wise it's hit and miss. Delay-wise it's also a bit hit and miss, but if there's a delay it won't be for more than an hour or two.
Their 330s have angle-flat seats, while the 320s/321s have either a blocked middle or a 2+3 config with a slightly wider biz seat.

On visiting the Azores, fall is the best time to visit - it's still warm enough and usually not very rainy, no crowds, and the ocean water is warm enough to swim in (unlike in Continental Portugal). If you want to see no people, do a side trip to any other island. Săo Miguel (where PDL is) has 140k people, Terceira has about 50k, while others have 5-20k, so you'll likely see more cows than people
A330s?
2-3 Config?

What airline are you refering to?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:29 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by Palal

I second that. You'll love the Azores.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by estrela
A330s?
2-3 Config?

What airline are you refering to?
My knowledge is out of date

So we have the 321LR, 321neo, and the 320 now. 330s are no longer with us Recliners all the way!!!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
They’re cheaper than Icelandair ?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Braniff
They’re cheaper than Icelandair ?
Yes, and we'd rather spend five days in the Azores than in Iceland.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
My almost-senior parents who go often, and have in the past travelled their share up front, would now rather fly Azores Y directly and quickly than go via Europe in J. Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.