Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Possible to pool points from Air Europa flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

My only Sky Team flights are likely to be Air Europa ones but a lot of the time we will be travelling as a family of four.

Are there any good options for alternative Sky Team FFPs that would allow either the pooling of family miles and/or a faster way to status than Air Europa's Suma program, even though I/we will only be travelling on Air Europa metal?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Flying Blue.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Flying Blue.
Many thanks! Is this the best option for family pooling? Any others?

I forgot to mention that most of my flights will probably be treated as "domestic" even though they will be between Madrid and the Canary Islands. With Air Europa I'd be looking at 50 legs/flights to get to Platinum, whereas with Flying Blue my 50 "domestic" flights would only get me up to Silver.

Not sure what to do... maybe register myself with Air Europa and the rest of the family with Flying Blue?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aster
Many thanks! Is this the best option for family pooling? Any others?

I forgot to mention that most of my flights will probably be treated as "domestic" even though they will be between Madrid and the Canary Islands. With Air Europa I'd be looking at 50 legs/flights to get to Platinum, whereas with Flying Blue my 50 "domestic" flights would only get me up to Silver.

Not sure what to do... maybe register myself with Air Europa and the rest of the family with Flying Blue?
Air Europa SUMA may not survive 2024, given the merger with Iberia. So if you are comfortable with eventually having Avios, then SUMA should be fine. (even though you might not have enough time to accumulate the 26 or 50 flights for elite status)

It's also worth noting that Air Europa doesn't give lounge access on domestic flights. (at least from my recent experience at BCN and PMI airports) So you only really get seat selection (elite member only), luggage, and priority boarding.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Air Europa SUMA may not survive 2024, given the merger with Iberia.
True, though they did have some sort of setback recently. Interestingly Iberia Plus allows you to collect points/miles with other local carriers like Vueling or even Binter... but not Air Europa.

It's also worth noting that Air Europa doesn't give lounge access on domestic flights. (at least from my recent experience at BCN and PMI airports)
Good point! This is a major drawback as lounge access has always been an important perk on regular flights in economy, and regardless of the distance a journey between the Canary Islands and Madrid (even though longer than Madrid to London) will still be treated as a domestic flight.

Starting to think that maybe Iberia Plus is a better option, especially with the crediting of Vueling/Binter flights. Since I already have OneWorld Silver with Finnair, can I accumulate miles on Iberia Plus while using the Finnair Silver card just for priority check-in?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Starting to think that maybe Iberia Plus is a better option, especially with the crediting of Vueling/Binter flights. Since I already have OneWorld Silver with Finnair, can I accumulate miles on Iberia Plus while using the Finnair Silver card just for priority check-in?
There isn't a single elite status consideration that would have me flying Vueling to the Canary Islands instead of Air Europa. Vueling is terrible when compared to Air Europa.

But if you are flying between Madrid and the Canary Islands, then Iberia (Express I'd assume) would be an option and you would get lounge access once you had status. In which case Iberia Plus might work for you - 50 flights = Oneworld Sapphire. But there might be a different Oneworld FFP that gives more elite credit for those long IB flights to the Canaries...
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

There isn't a single elite status consideration that would have me flying Vueling to the Canary Islands instead of Air Europa. Vueling is terrible when compared to Air Europa.
I have only ever used Vueling for flights to/from the UK as they fly direct to the Canaries from Gatwick. It's either that, Easyjet (probably similar in every way) or Ryanair (my least favourite choice of the three) with the last two also giving me the option of using Luton.

But if you are flying between Madrid and the Canary Islands, then Iberia (Express I'd assume) would be an option and you would get lounge access once you had status. In which case Iberia Plus might work for you - 50 flights = Oneworld Sapphire. But there might be a different Oneworld FFP that gives more elite credit for those long IB flights to the Canaries...
I'm with you here with the lounges and it seems that OW status coupled with Iberia/Express is the thing to aim for. Not sure I can get Finnair up to Sapphire status though as I only use them for long-haul flights to Singapore and I don't see myself doing more than two return-trips per year.

Maybe another OW FFP with a small number of flights (not miles) to get to Sapphire?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
whereas with Flying Blue my 50 "domestic" flights would only get me up to Silver.

Be warned that there are numerous fare classes on UX that do not earn in Flying Blue.

Your 50 "domestic" flights may never even get you to Silver (which is a pretty meaningless status anyway).
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Are you based/resident in Spain?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Be warned that there are numerous fare classes on UX that do not earn in Flying Blue.

Your 50 "domestic" flights may never even get you to Silver (which is a pretty meaningless status anyway).
Yeah, it looks like I'll add the kids' Flying Blue numbers to the reservation whilst using Air Europa Suma for myself. I'll know after my upcoming flight how this all plays out, and thank you for letting me know to watch out for fare classes that earn zilch in Flying Blue as that would be a complete waste.

Originally Posted by marconess
Are you based/resident in Spain?
Yes, so for flights between the Canary Islands and anywhere in Spain my fare is discounted by 75%. Tempted to try out Air Europa's business seats on the 787 for 1/4 of the price but for my first flight I just went for standard economy.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:50 pm

Yeah, it looks like I'll add the kids' Flying Blue numbers to the reservation whilst using Air Europa Suma for myself. I'll know after my upcoming flight how this all plays out, and thank you for letting me know to watch out for fare classes that earn zilch in Flying Blue as that would be a complete waste.

Yes, so for flights between the Canary Islands and anywhere in Spain my fare is discounted by 75%. Tempted to try out Air Europa's business seats on the 787 for 1/4 of the price but for my first flight I just went for standard economy.
Ah, in a similar boat. I would suggest checking out the Air Europa card from Bank inter. You immediately get Sky Team Silver status, so free checked bag, priority boarding etc, plus you'll get bonus miles for flying (and 1point per €2).
Absolutely free.
aster likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marconess
Ah, in a similar boat. I would suggest checking out the Air Europa card from Bank inter. You immediately get Sky Team Silver status, so free checked bag, priority boarding etc, plus you'll get bonus miles for flying (and 1point per €2).
Absolutely free.
I was rejected for that card recently. As with all things to do with Spanish banking, it doesn't matter how much money you have or earn, if it doesn't come from a "contrato fijo" from a Spanish employer...
aster likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Interesting card. It's the first time I've seen one where the miles accrued are greater if you don't pay off the entire amount and go into debt. Of course I know that is where the bank makes its money, it's just that I've never seen a mileage rate that isn't based just on spend alone...
Old Feb 23, 2024, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I had my first Air Europa flight and I see what you mean - it actually felt like a regular carrier and the seats had a decent IFE screen with lots of content. Very positive experience overall.

It was also a flight of many firsts though in no ways am I complaining: first time nobody checked my ID when boarding (just the BP sufficed), first time there was no pre-flight safety demo, first time the drinks trolley didn't come out for the entire flight. A bit strange for so many "firsts" but like I mentioned, no complaints from my side.

The only negative aspect (also a first in a way...) was landing at MAD airport. 21 minutes ground travel from touchdown to finally stopping. And here comes the surprise... this was a pretty full 787, and instead of an airbridge they rolled up stairs and had everyone climbing down and into buses. A 787 disembarking this way? Certainly a first for me...

As far as miles are concerned there weren't many to be picked up, but I credited mine to Suma with the rest of the family pooling theirs to Flying Blue.

Will definitely be using Air Europa more often when flying into or via MAD. Tempted to give their business class a try too as it looked very spacious indeed...
marconess likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 4:25 pm

I had my first Air Europa flight and I see what you mean - it actually felt like a regular carrier and the seats had a decent IFE screen with lots of content. Very positive experience overall.

It was also a flight of many firsts though in no ways am I complaining: first time nobody checked my ID when boarding (just the BP sufficed), first time there was no pre-flight safety demo, first time the drinks trolley didn't come out for the entire flight. A bit strange for so many "firsts" but like I mentioned, no complaints from my side.

The only negative aspect (also a first in a way...) was landing at MAD airport. 21 minutes ground travel from touchdown to finally stopping. And here comes the surprise... this was a pretty full 787, and instead of an airbridge they rolled up stairs and had everyone climbing down and into buses. A 787 disembarking this way? Certainly a first for me...

As far as miles are concerned there weren't many to be picked up, but I credited mine to Suma with the rest of the family pooling theirs to Flying Blue.

Will definitely be using Air Europa more often when flying into or via MAD. Tempted to give their business class a try too as it looked very spacious indeed...
Getting bussed the terminal at Madrid (T1/2/3) is usually a sign you arrived at a location which requires you to go to immigration as the gate has arrived at a non-schegn gate, or vice versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.