Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian voucher for US$10,000+ (NOK 97,900)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium

I have a Norwegian air credit for US$10,000+, to expire in 13 months (12/31/2020). I may use it or I may want to unload it.

1) 9 or 10 family members flying together with kids SEA-LGW-SEA to a once a year event. I'm ready to buy, but we want to sit together, and the Flex class costs (to obtain seat assignments) cost more than the base ticket costs! Not going there! So how can I lock in seat assignments today on the lowest price tickets? If I can't, then I will just go and fly BA or Virgin Atlantic for way cheaper, due to their current sale.

2) If I can't use the credit, how and where can I get most of the value of the credit in cash? Is there an exchange service or a way to get much of my value from someone else without getting sideways with Norwegian?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Did they give you this credit
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes. Direct from Norwegian, upon my special request, which was approved by management.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by 925
I have a Norwegian air credit for US$10,000+, to expire in 13 months (12/31/2020). I may use it or I may want to unload it.

1) 9 or 10 family members flying together with kids SEA-LGW-SEA to a once a year event. I'm ready to buy, but we want to sit together, and the Flex class costs (to obtain seat assignments) cost more than the base ticket costs! Not going there! So how can I lock in seat assignments today on the lowest price tickets? If I can't, then I will just go and fly BA or Virgin Atlantic for way cheaper, due to their current sale.
For cheaper ticket types you can get the seat advance reservations for a small fee, granted the cheaper ticket types then do not include option to make changes. And I think that generally when the seat assignments for those who haven't bought seat reservation are made then groups on the same ticket are usually assigned seats near each other. Also once (online) check in opens then you can make seat selections without extra fee.
Originally Posted by 925
2) If I can't use the credit, how and where can I get most of the value of the credit in cash? Is there an exchange service or a way to get much of my value from someone else without getting sideways with Norwegian?
I believe that credit is not usable for anything else than what is available on Norwegian's website. Of course, if the credit is given in form of voucher (and no clear indication that it is tied to certain person making the purchases) then it might be possible to find some one who would exchange it for cash.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although Norwegian appears to be on at least not shaky financial ground in the immediate future, the long-term is far from rosy. Bear in mind that the $10K goes up in smoke in an insolvency. You become an unsecured creditor and that means that you might, if lucky, see a very very small fraction of that after a few years.

I would do everything I can do use the voucher sooner rather than later.
arollins likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

OP here, wrapping-up: After Often1's warning, I got on the phone and was able to buy seat assignments on top of the lowest fare for $90 per seat. And I also paid about $12 per person for Cancellation Protection.

So problem solved for $100 per seat over lowest fare, rather than the $700 per seat premium for the higher fare the website wanted to charge me. So, saved me $5400 from the website, and makes me very happy.

Problem solved! All done.

Much thanks to all.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

How much of the voucher did you use?

Also why did you get the voucher in the first place?

Originally Posted by 925
OP here, wrapping-up: After Often1's warning, I got on the phone and was able to buy seat assignments on top of the lowest fare for $90 per seat. And I also paid about $12 per person for Cancellation Protection.

So problem solved for $100 per seat over lowest fare, rather than the $700 per seat premium for the higher fare the website wanted to charge me. So, saved me $5400 from the website, and makes me very happy.

Problem solved! All done.

Much thanks to all.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Our previous trip was cancelled due to a cancer diagnosis and required treatment.

The new tickets cost slightly less than the cancelled tickets, but very close to the original ones.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's worth remembering that legally the airline cannot separate children from the adults accompanying them.

By all means pay for seats for peace of mind (and/or to avoid the hassle of flight attendants trying to re-organise seat assignments on board) but generally speaking a family travelling together is going to be assigned seats together...
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:31 am

Only inasmuch as that each kid will generally have an adult "next" to it, which could mean across an aisle or a row in front/behind. Not ideal for families wanting to share the workload or just be together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.