Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air, JetBlue tie up to expand transatlantic network

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Norwegian Air (NWC.OL) and New York’s JetBlue Airways (JBLU.O) plan a partnership enabling passengers flying between Europe and the United States to continue to multiple destinations under a single booking, potentially boosting traffic and average fares.

The airlines said in a joint statement on Thursday that if agreed the partnership would come into effect in the middle of next year.

The partnership with JetBlue will connect JetBlue flights from around 100 cities in the Americas to Norwegian’s network in New York, Boston and Fort Lauderdale, from which the carrier serves more than 20 European destinations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1WW1BX
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I'm surprised this thread didn't get any traction. Seems like a good idea to me. I flew up to Boston on Southwest to catch my Norwegian flight and had about 7 hours in the airport and it's not really the best airport to hang out in. The general consensus seems to be that booking a flight on Norwegian is risky. I have never flown JetBlue. Do THEY have any partnerships who would help if a Norwegian flight was cancelled?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:56 am

WheelsUpGal It certainly seems a good idea, at least on paper. Having a single reservation number would ensure that you do not risk missing your correspondence (or that at least you will be rebooked if you miss your second flight). A lot of Norwegian customers use a cheap local airline (like you did) to take them to or out of a Norwegian transatlantic hub and when they miss their correspondence (because cheap airlines are somewhat unreliable, Norwegian included) they have to buy super expensive walk-in tickets and they obviously end up quite upset...
PS: I really do not recommend using Southwest to catch a Norwegian flight (or using Norwegian to catch a Southwest flight). The risk that you will miss your second flight and lose a lot of money in the process is not worth taking in my opinion.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by gab787
WheelsUpGal It certainly seems a good idea, at least on paper. Having a single reservation number would ensure that you do not risk missing your correspondence (or that at least you will be rebooked if you miss your second flight).
i guess we will only find out how good a proposition it really is once passengers start missing flights ... and we see what the IRROPS service is like from the two airlines !
gab787 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:52 am

I’ve had nothing but a good experience with Southwest and flew them exclusively for domestic flights for over a decade. I guess YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:20 pm

WheelsUpGal I did not mean anything negative about Southwest. My point was just that using two different carriers to take you to your final destination is a risky approach because if your first flight is delayed or canceled then you may miss your second flight, therefore forfeiting the cost of a ticket, and may have to purchase a new last-minute ticket at a very high cost. If the Norwegian-JetBlue deals goes through then at least it will mitigate that risk.

As fartoomanyusers pointed out, Norwegian IRROPS service is terrible and it is not clear that that aspect will improve going forward. So while having one combined reservation will mitigate the financial risk, you may still have to spend hours or even days in an airport waiting for the next flight to your final destination (on some routes Norwegian only operates a few flight per week).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:01 pm

I tried to fly United but out of Nashville they were only flying tiny planes that are scary and uncomfortable. Three out of 4 of my trips in those planes were delayed for mechanical issues or cancelled due to weather. I’d rather fly Southwest to a hub - Norwegian or United or whoever - than the “toy” planes. Fully aware of the risk, thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I'm surprised this thread didn't get any traction. Seems like a good idea to me. I flew up to Boston on Southwest to catch my Norwegian flight and had about 7 hours in the airport and it's not really the best airport to hang out in. The general consensus seems to be that booking a flight on Norwegian is risky. I have never flown JetBlue. Do THEY have any partnerships who would help if a Norwegian flight was cancelled?
AFAIK JetBlue doesn't interline (yet) and doesn't have partners, so rebooking would presumably mean another JetBlue or Norwegian flight.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK JetBlue doesn't interline (yet) and doesn't have partners, so rebooking would presumably mean another JetBlue or Norwegian flight.
JetBlue has a long-standing interline arrangement with Aer Lingus, with connections at both JFK and BOS, having recently celebrated 10 years of the arrangement.

Attached Images  
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:54 am

I did NOT know that! Jet Blue only has a couple routes from Nashville but this would work. Can you book on either website? Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I did NOT know that! Jet Blue only has a couple routes from Nashville but this would work. Can you book on either website? Thanks for the info!
Yes, but note that both airlines have other partners too, and not all destinations may fall under the interline agreement, so you may find different carriers/airlines/routings depending on what itinerary you are searching for.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
MSP-BOS-London/Madrid/Paris/Rome? That’s the kind of thing that may have JetBlue and Norwegian eat into US3 airlines’ peak economy class fares for roundtrip TATL travel.

But JetBlue risks having a damaged brand if Norwegian’s TATL IRROPs mess up the JetBlue customers. It is to be seen how much risk JetBlue wants to take in tying up with Norwegian. Aer Lingus is a more reliable TATL service provider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.