Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Europa in AMS- Standby for earlier flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

So I've got a tight connection going into AMS from the US arriving around 9:45. If my flight gets into AMS on time I have a good shot of making an early 11:05 flight on Air Europa. Also that flight is often delayed. For now I'm picked on the 630 flight.

I know how this works in the US- you just proceed to the gate - talk to a gate agent and ask to go on the earlier flight if there is room. How does this work for Air Europa- anything I can do to increase my chances? I am on a business class ticket (because ti was actually cheaper than coach oddly) so I don't think there would be a big fee.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What us your onward destination as that determines whether you can basically go straight to the gate or have to clear Immigration to enter the Schengen Zone.

If it is the latter then that could take up a lot of your time. Also will you have bags?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
I know how this works in the US- you just proceed to the gate - talk to a gate agent and ask to go on the earlier flight if there is room. How does this work for Air Europa- anything I can do to increase my chances? I am on a business class ticket (because ti was actually cheaper than coach oddly) so I don't think there would be a big fee.
Such "Go and Show" provisions rarely apply to business class fares sold in Europe.

Here are the ticket change conditions for business class fares on UX European flights.

https://www.aireuropa.com/en/flights...ns#reservation

Depending on your ticket class, changes may have to be requested 3 days in advance. An administration fee is payable, as will be any difference in fare if the same fare class is not available. It appears to require a visit to an Air Europa ticket desk or a call to the service centre - so I am not sure you will be able to do this at the gate, nor to arrange a ticket change in the short timeframe after arrival at AMS.

As it appears that you are travelling on separate tickets, and will have to clear inbound immigration, retrieve luggage, and make it to check-in before closing time, I am not sure that you will have enough time to clear all of these steps, AS WELL as arranging to change your ticket (if even possible) in time. If you have checked luggage, then it is certainly not possible to make this flight.

Note that there are a number of KLM flights from AMS to MAD that leave prior to your booked UX flight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; May 14, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old May 14, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

So its AMS to Madrid. The good news is I only have a cary on. It's the US to AMS on United, then a sep ticket on Air Europa.

Bummer you can't just go to the gate- i.e. you have to clear immigation, then ticket desk, then back thru security. If my flight to US is early perhaps.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What us your onward destination as that determines whether you can basically go straight to the gate or have to clear Immigration to enter the Schengen Zone.
The only destination served by Air Europa from AMS is Madrid.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The only destination served by Air Europa from AMS is Madrid.
You sure going to the Gate Agents directly is not possible with Air Europa in AMS?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:00 pm

You sure going to the Gate Agents directly is not possible with Air Europa in AMS?
Which fare class have your ticket?

J and C allow changes at any moment only paying the fare difference (if any). I doubt the gate agents will be able to do it (they will be sub-hired through a handling agent, so they only know how to board flights), but you may have luck calling customer service.
gadgetfreaky likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

It's J.
yeah I think my best bet is to have them on the phone right after I land rather than hit up front check in unless I have a crazy amount of time
Old May 16, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
your flight from the US will land in the non Schengen part of AMS and you will have to clear Dutch immigration to enter Holland to be able to access flights departing from the Schengen zone. Spain is part of Schengen so the flight is essentially 'domestic' with no immigration on arrival at MAD. Follow the 'transit / connections' route (even though you don't actually have a connection) and you'll remain airside.

According to google flights Air Europa have 2 departures to MAD st 11.05 and 18.35 (so I can see why you want to try and get on the earlier flight). I doubt that they keep their check in desks open through the day. With contract staff they tend to handle both check-in and gate processes so when the check-in deadline has closed they move to the gate and when the flight has departed they go and work for another airline.And another set of people will likely serve the later flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.