Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by remphish1

That’s the problem I have at the moment. Last week I almost bought a substitute flight at $600 per person which wasn’t terrible. Now I can’t find anything on the days I need for under $900 plus can’t get seats together anymore which isn’t doable with my three year old obviously. When they eventually refund me I won’t even be close to covering the new higher prices. I did however rearrange all my lodging now so I can cancel now 4 days before my departure. I hope by then I’ll know if not I’ll have to cancel the hotels again 🙄
I saw Canada is going to keep the MAX grounded to atleast July 1st. I just have a feeling that Mex will not be up and running and the SNN route will be nix. We are on private tour starting in SNN and then have a cruise to catch. What are they telling you about your April flights? Still will not allow you to cancel for a refund?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11
I saw Canada is going to keep the MAX grounded to atleast July 1st. I just have a feeling that Mex will not be up and running and the SNN route will be nix. We are on private tour starting in SNN and then have a cruise to catch. What are they telling you about your April flights? Still will not allow you to cancel for a refund?
They’re saying nothing! They claim the flight is not cancelled! They are hoping for a miracle that the 737 max 8 gets back in service in my opinion. They have been combining flights and forcing people on to busses. If the flight goes my guess is it will go to Dublin then you’ll have to go on a three hour bus ride to Shannon! Who wants to do that?! I’m so annoyed they aren’t giving people the truth and he option to cancel!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:34 pm

They have been combining flights and forcing people on to busses. If the flight goes my guess is it will go to Dublin then you’ll have to go on a three hour bus ride to Shannon! Who wants to do that?! I’m so annoyed they aren’t giving people the truth and he option to cancel!
If that happens, then it means that the flight is cancelled, so you are entitled to a cancellation of your ticket and a full refund if that's what you prefer.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person
If that happens, then it means that the flight is cancelled, so you are entitled to a cancellation of your ticket and a full refund if that's what you prefer.
yeah then the problem my refund won’t cover new flights on another airline 😕
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

They’re saying nothing! They claim the flight is not cancelled! They are hoping for a miracle that the 737 max 8 gets back in service in my opinion. They have been combining flights and forcing people on to busses. If the flight goes my guess is it will go to Dublin then you’ll have to go on a three hour bus ride to Shannon! Who wants to do that?! I’m so annoyed they aren’t giving people the truth and he option to cancel!
You bought a ticket from an airline selling seats at below their cost (hence the reason why they've been hemorrhaging money). I am frankly surprised that anyone who buys a ticket on Norwegian expects the same level of service that established non-discount airlines provide. It's not going to happen. And if you're mad about this level of service, I suspect you haven't even started to consider where else Norwegian cuts corners to reduce expenses. When you buy a discount airline ticket, you're accepting a lower level of maintenance and employee training. You're accepting pilots and crews who are paid much less than their counterparts. Many of those pilots can't even get hired by a reputable carrier.
That's fine if you do that in all aspects of your life - need a surgeon? Who's the cheapest? Need a lawyer? Who's the cheapest?

Seriously, how do you think they're able to sell tickets for cheaper than the large reputable airlines? Some sort of magical accounting trick? No, it's because they cut every corner they can get away with. And sometimes that bites them in the hind quarters.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, I wouldn't diss Norwegian so fast.

Their operating costs are so low because they have a homogenous fleet that has a very low fuel burn. The maintainance is contracted out and of decent standards, otherwise the aircraft lose value. Pilots need to be paid industry wages or else they are gone, as there is a severe shortage of qualified pilots in Europe. If you take a peak at the pprune forum you will see that they also have hiring standards.

https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...n-updated.html
https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...lgw-based.html

Irreg handling at LoCos is defintely sub par and that is a clear case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, I wouldn't diss Norwegian so fast.

Their operating costs are so low because they have a homogenous fleet that has a very low fuel burn. The maintainance is contracted out and of decent standards, otherwise the aircraft lose value. Pilots need to be paid industry wages or else they are gone, as there is a severe shortage of qualified pilots in Europe. If you take a peak at the pprune forum you will see that they also have hiring standards.

https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...n-updated.html
https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearm...lgw-based.html

Irreg handling at LoCos is defintely sub par and that is a clear case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Oliver, I don't visit PPrune very often, but I am aware of the quality of applicant Norwegian has been getting over the last few years based on information I have within the industry. They do not attract the cream of the crop in large part due to their pay and benefit package and have pretty minimal hiring standards. A Norwegian 787 Captain makes less than a year 2 737 copilot at most established airlines. You get what you pay for.

If you think IRROPS is the only place where Norwegian cuts corners, I don't know what to say. It's the place where the public is currently noticing problems in Norwegian's business model; it is not the only place where they have gone with the cheapest solution. As for their maintenance, on what do you base that it is 'of decent standards'? I've seen some pretty shoddy outsourced maintenance in this business.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You bought a ticket from an airline selling seats at below their cost (hence the reason why they've been hemorrhaging money). I am frankly surprised that anyone who buys a ticket on Norwegian expects the same level of service that established non-discount airlines provide. It's not going to happen. And if you're mad about this level of service, I suspect you haven't even started to consider where else Norwegian cuts corners to reduce expenses. When you buy a discount airline ticket, you're accepting a lower level of maintenance and employee training. You're accepting pilots and crews who are paid much less than their counterparts. Many of those pilots can't even get hired by a reputable carrier.
That's fine if you do that in all aspects of your life - need a surgeon? Who's the cheapest? Need a lawyer? Who's the cheapest?

Seriously, how do you think they're able to sell tickets for cheaper than the large reputable airlines? Some sort of magical accounting trick? No, it's because they cut every corner they can get away with. And sometimes that bites them in the hind quarters.
Have you heard of Southwest Airlines? How about Ryan air, how about Spirit? How long have they been in business? They’re discount airlines so your example doesn’t apply. This is not a normal situation
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:55 pm

Have you heard of Southwest Airlines? How about Ryan air, how about Spirit? How long have they been in business? They’re discount airlines so your example doesn’t apply. This is not a normal situation
Southwest isn't a budget airline.

Anyway, the issue is that a budget airline "may" have less planes, so they are at a crunch when a plane goes down, whereas a legacy airline may have the ability to shift things around.
remphish1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Completely agree that the LCC bashing does not need to got that far into irrational territory. Especially for safety concerns. If there is ONE thing that lccs need to survive (in the 1st world), it is an impeccable safety record. Everyone will stop flying ryanair the day they crash and they will not skimp on maintenance under any circumstance. However where they will cut heavily is on customer service and that side of the argument is not irrational.

Ryanair are very well known to refuse to compensate passengers for delays or cancellations and to misguide and mislead customers attemping to take them to court, to the point that the majority give up.

I have flown with FR multiple times and to be fair I have not had a single problem.

I am however aware that if my flight does have a problem I will need to fight my way out of it and possibly lose money. And that's mostly why I try and avoid them nowadays, but not because of safety co cerns.

Oh yeah and also, screw you for making us pay for cabin luggage... srsly....
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Ryanair are very well known to refuse to compensate passengers for delays or cancellations and to misguide and mislead customers attemping to take them to court, to the point that the majority give up.
They even wrote in their terms of use that you have to sue them in an Irish court, but this was thankfully rejected as an unreasonable requirement by a Danish court.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Question - if I’m on the PVD to DUB flight and they want to rebook me onto the SWF to DUB flight, can I say no and get refunded? That is technically canceling our flight yes? Caniinvoke mytravel insuranve since I used my Sapphire Teserve to buy the ticket?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:36 am

Everyone will stop flying ryanair the day they crash . . . .
I was delayed a few days by this Ryanair crash, but it doesn't seem to have affected their passenger numbers.

https://theaviationist.com/2008/11/1...crash-landing/
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
I was delayed a few days by this Ryanair crash, but it doesn't seem to have affected their passenger numbers.

https://theaviationist.com/2008/11/1...crash-landing/
Indeed the aircraft was written off, that said a bird strike with no serious injuries is hardly a PR disaster.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:17 am

Indeed the aircraft was written off, that said a bird strike with no serious injuries is hardly a PR disaster.
Agreed, just pointing out they had indeed had a crash, even if a relatively minor one. I only remember as I got an extended holiday out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.