Search

Flybe Q400

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
Flybe Q400

Hello,

I am due to fly on a Flybe Q400 from London City soon.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it feels much different flying on it rather than something bigger like an A319, especially since it is a propeller plane?

Would love to know!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Very different! Noisier for sure...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
The seats are OK. The overhead bins are VERY small. The noise is too much for me to enjoy on anything other than short hops. It’s also a bit slower than an A320/B737, which is noticeable on a longer run.

Some people really like them as they feel like 'real' flying...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
It's basically like flying in an unusually loud regional jet, but I like them on short trips. If you prefer window seats, you get better views at the Q400's lower cruising altitude.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
Love the Flybe dash 8 q400's. They are noisy but nothing extreme. Flybe have one of the best BoB menus I've seen, a choice of 6 gins to choose from was impressive. I'd fly them over BA any day.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I just flew FlyBe on the Q400. It was undoubtedly the most comfortable turboprop I have flown on (comparison includes Jetstream 31/41, Dash 6, Dash 8-100/300, ATR42/72 and probably more before I started paying attention). The cabin is slightly noisier, but not much different than I recall from older jets. Comfort compares favorably to most regional jets (excluding the Embraer 170/190, which are not really RJs): far superior to the CRJ regional jets, and better than the ERJs as well.

Seat at pitch is tight, but no worse than other regional jets of similar size. The view from the windows is excellent.

I wouldn't avoid the Q400 at all. If it goes where I want, when I want, for the right price, it works for me.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm being offered extra leg-room seats for a flight next week for 9.99 - front row each side. I'm 6'3. Are these worth it and which row would you recommend?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
It's basically like flying in an unusually loud regional jet, but I like them on short trips. If you prefer window seats, you get better views at the Q400's lower cruising altitude.
It should be noted that if you want a good view, you'll need to be in either the front or the back; the middle row views are mostly blocked by the engines.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm being offered extra leg-room seats for a flight next week for 9.99 - front row each side. I'm 6'3. Are these worth it and which row would you recommend?
That sounds a rather high price for likely not much extra legroom. Better to get an empty seat next to you.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
there low and slow, but a great experience to fly on. I use them regularly on the Westjet encore routes in Canada
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by chalf
That sounds a rather high price for likely not much extra legroom. Better to get an empty seat next to you.
I don't know about the FlyBE configuration, but I fly on the Q400 on Horizon all the time, and the 1B and 1C seats are my favorites as far as legroom space is concerned.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Several years ago I had front row on the right (looking from the rear) it was next to a small emergency hatch and the legroom was awful as it was a tight bulkhead row.
I would go for the AB side
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
To report back after my flight yesterday... the extra legroom seats on the left by the main entrance are restricted by the stairs as highpeaklad points out above. The 'B' seat however would provide limited additional room. The seats on the other side are very generous (the CD seats).

However, overall the legroom was fine even in a normal row (I'm 6'3). The seats are narrow but just about ok for a one hour flight.

Weight and balance issues meant the first 5-6 rows were empty, just one or two pax dotted here and there. The rest of the plane was packed in. Seat maps during checkin show seats as unavailable, but this may be because they are blocked for weight and balance rather than being occupied. You can move to the empty rows after takeoff, but must return to your allocated seat for landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.