Wiki Posts
Search

White Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

White Airways

Hi,
I am trying to book a flight from Seville to Lisbon and I see that TAP has flights operated by White. Has anyone flown this airline (White), or know anything about it? Also, it is a prop plane, ATR 72. I am not overly fond of prop planes, just my own personal feelings though.
Please help -- my other option is to take the train back to Madrid and fly from Madrid to Lisbon.
Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give to me.
Pat
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
They're the United Express of TAP. Perfectly fine airline.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:35 am

I flew BIO-LIS on this plane with TAP Express/White Airways. The plane was quite new and everything went fine.
I won't go to MAD by train.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to Palal and Netxu for their prompt responses! I guess I will take the prop plane -- just don't care for them. But it will sure be better than taking the train back to Madrid then getting to the airport to fly to Lisbon.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:18 pm

The train was your idea, anyway...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I take a return flight every week on an ATR 72-600 on Air NZ. They are fine enough and I have flown through some hairy weather that only NZ can throw at the skies. I am booked on a White ATR this summer LiS-BIO. Although the last rows are best for a quick getaway, they also experience more of the tail fish effect in windy conditions so sitting nearer the front is better for a more comfortable ride. However, I take seat 17B/C every week and have never been affected by air sickness.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

White Airways

Hi CHCflyer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response.
I appreciate your feedback about your experiences with that type of prop plane and with that particular airlines.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:59 pm

If you fly Seville-Lisbon between May and October, weather shouldn't be a big issue anyway. They fly ATRs regularly between Ireland and Britain and it's certainly a bit bumpy in those conditions.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi Ber2dca,
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your helpful information.
I will be flying about mid-November. Do you think it will be turbulent then? I do not know the weather in that area.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:00 am

An ATR will be no more bumpy than an E190.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:30 am

Has anyone flown the LIS-BIO route recently? I'm not thrilled about the prospect of flying an ATR, which seems a little dodgy. What is the luggage allowance on this route?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
What is it about prop planes that are dodgy or bother people in general? I have always found that from a turbulence perspective they seem to be better than lets stay a CRJ or EMB145.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
What is it about prop planes that are dodgy or bother people in general? I have always found that from a turbulence perspective they seem to be better than lets stay a CRJ or EMB145.
It's not that I'm afraid of flying prop planes, it's that I'm afraid of flying ATR-42/72s in particular, which have a long history of accidents, not all of which were due to icing issues. Some of the accidents seem to have been caused by engine issues. Fortunately TAP hasn't had any fatal accidents so far and the flight would be during the summer, but I'm still concerned.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
It's not that I'm afraid of flying prop planes, it's that I'm afraid of flying ATR-42/72s in particular, which have a long history of accidents, not all of which were due to icing issues. Some of the accidents seem to have been caused by engine issues. Fortunately TAP hasn't had any fatal accidents so far and the flight would be during the summer, but I'm still concerned.
So, you made me Google it and found this, ATR 42 and ATR 72 plane crashes. I would agree that is a decent amount but would be curious about the statistics of those incidents versus number of flights. I would bet it is extremely low percentage wise. I know that doesnt do much for you probably but there are a ton of those planes out there and they have a ton of take-offs and landings so think the odds are on our side. I dont have any numbers to back it up though.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Has anyone flown the LIS-BIO route recently? I'm not thrilled about the prospect of flying an ATR, which seems a little dodgy. What is the luggage allowance on this route?

Thanks!
I've flown BIO-LIS last year. The luggage allowance depends on your ticket. Carry-on is standard 1+1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.