The RYANAIR thread

Old Mar 3, 19, 10:11 pm
  #181  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,962
Originally Posted by Agneisse View Post
You sound like someone who has done their research, so forgive me if this is repeating stuff you already know - but note that the carry on suitcase size restrictions in Europe (including at Ryanair) are smaller than the US domestic dimensions.

Otherwise, Ryanair is perfectly fine for a short hop like that. It's also fun to board and disembark from the tarmac!
I paid for the extra carry on, my backpack is no issue, it's our roller boards that I know we will have to pay extra for. But there is no clear cut cost of these...
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:41 am
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
I paid for the extra carry on, my backpack is no issue, it's our roller boards that I know we will have to pay extra for. But there is no clear cut cost of these...
The extra carry-on, which I assume is 'Priority and 2 cabin bags', allows a rollaboard of 55x40x20 (cm) in addition to a purse/backpack/handbag etc.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...d-2-cabin-bags
FlightNurse likes this.
Agneisse is offline  
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:29 am
  #183  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC
Posts: 54
Hi folks, anyone know Leeds-Bradford?
I'm going from there to Bratislava next month, I've booked 1A as a seat because I quite like being at the front, and 1A gets me window and the only pocket on the whole plane..
I'm conscious that space in the lockers is an issue up there, though, and there's no underseat stowage.

Do they bus you to the plane from the gate at Leeds, or do you walk from terminal to stairs? If you walk, it's useful being near the front of the priority queue, and I'll plan my airside activities accordingly, but if there's a bus then there's little point and I'll join the queue when I'm good and ready.
DeeGee26.2 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:21 am
  #184  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 71
I've never flown with Ryanair and TBH never really wanted too but may have no choice do to limited options.

I'm a UK/EU passport holder and if i was travelling from LTN to FUE on a 7.30am flight with checked baggage would arriving at LTN for 6am be cutting it too fine or would that be okay?

I've not used LTN for over 10 years so no idea how fast/slow the bag drop for Ryanair at luton is
RyanLHR is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:35 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by RyanLHR View Post
I've never flown with Ryanair and TBH never really wanted too but may have no choice do to limited options.

I'm a UK/EU passport holder and if i was travelling from LTN to FUE on a 7.30am flight with checked baggage would arriving at LTN for 6am be cutting it too fine or would that be okay?

I've not used LTN for over 10 years so no idea how fast/slow the bag drop for Ryanair at luton is
as long as you're in the checkin queue an hour before departure, i think you'll be fine.
and once all those bags are in the hold, if security is slow, then you will all be late to the gate - so Ryanair will hold the plane (as long as you don't go off to the bar for half an hour) !
fartoomanyusers is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:39 am
  #186  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,962
NOt too sure how to post this, truly the worst experience I have ever had flying. At the bag drop, the agents were friendly and cheerful and very helpful. Spoke with the agent about my carry on, she told me I wont have a problem. Get to the gate, and it doesn't fit, first thing out of the gate agents mouth is, that'll be 50 euro this is WITHOUT looking at my ticket. She would not listen to me, her attitude got bad and then she walked away. I had purchased 2 check bags, I was lost on how they cuold charge me 50 euro the gate agent wouldn't answer the question. When this other agent showed up asked me what the problem was, I explained that the drop bag agent told me that my roller board was OK, I get to the gate and it's not.The first thing out of the gate agents mouth was 50 Euro, she never looked at my tickets to see I had paid for 2 check bags. THe new agents checked and saw that I did have 2 check bags, he apologized and took care of the problem. The first agent told me to my face that she didnt want to hold the flight up, the ironic thing here is out flight was delayed 25 minutes.. The onboard experience was just as horrible the FA's don't smile and they don't apologize for bumping into you, I'm sorry I have broad shoulder and they stick out in the aisle from your skinny seats. It seems that BA will be my way to go from now.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:50 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
NOt too sure how to post this, truly the worst experience I have ever had flying. At the bag drop, the agents were friendly and cheerful and very helpful. Spoke with the agent about my carry on, she told me I wont have a problem. Get to the gate, and it doesn't fit, first thing out of the gate agents mouth is, that'll be 50 euro this is WITHOUT looking at my ticket. She would not listen to me, her attitude got bad and then she walked away. I had purchased 2 check bags, I was lost on how they cuold charge me 50 euro the gate agent wouldn't answer the question. When this other agent showed up asked me what the problem was, I explained that the drop bag agent told me that my roller board was OK, I get to the gate and it's not.The first thing out of the gate agents mouth was 50 Euro, she never looked at my tickets to see I had paid for 2 check bags. THe new agents checked and saw that I did have 2 check bags, he apologized and took care of the problem.
I guess they made an assumption (quite a reasonable one too) that someone wouldn't carry their checked luggage to the gate.
BruceyBonus is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:19 pm
  #188  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,962
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus View Post
I guess they made an assumption (quite a reasonable one too) that someone wouldn't carry their checked luggage to the gate.
Not too sure how to take this, it wasn't a check bag, it was a carry on, again at the bag drop off I asked the agent there if my carry on was good to be carried on, she told me yes, if she told me no, it wouldn't have been a problem. So not too sure about your assumption.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:31 am
  #189  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,357
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Not too sure how to take this, it wasn't a check bag, it was a carry on, again at the bag drop off I asked the agent there if my carry on was good to be carried on, she told me yes, if she told me no, it wouldn't have been a problem. So not too sure about your assumption.
The gauges that Ryanair use are slightly bigger than their size dimensions, so if the bag didn't fit the gauge it would be somewhat over the allowed dimensions. Now it's possible they used one of the older gauges (or a box) with previous and now wrong sizes but that seems unlikely. But I would certainly not advocate turning up at the gate with an oversized bag since some agents are extremely skilled in detecting over-sized items. The fact that you had 2 checked items on your ticket won't count for much at the gate, if it's oversized then that's all that matters.

Having said that, my experience is that at the gate they are unlikely to be so bothered about precise sizes, but more about number of bags, so 1 or 2 cabin bags. If you have 2 bags and not on Priority Boarding (etc) then that's where they tend to be fairly strict.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 5:17 am
  #190  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,962
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The gauges that Ryanair use are slightly bigger than their size dimensions, so if the bag didn't fit the gauge it would be somewhat over the allowed dimensions. Now it's possible they used one of the older gauges (or a box) with previous and now wrong sizes but that seems unlikely. But I would certainly not advocate turning up at the gate with an oversized bag since some agents are extremely skilled in detecting over-sized items. The fact that you had 2 checked items on your ticket won't count for much at the gate, if it's oversized then that's all that matters.

Having said that, my experience is that at the gate they are unlikely to be so bothered about precise sizes, but more about number of bags, so 1 or 2 cabin bags. If you have 2 bags and not on Priority Boarding (etc) then that's where they tend to be fairly strict.
​​​​​​
Had priority ticket, with 2 cabin bags and 2 check bags. Either I'm not making it clear that a ryan air employee told me that my carry on was OK or people just want to argue. I'm hoping it the first... Doesn't matter anymore, I'll pay more for Aer Lingus next time if I ever do DUB-EDI.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:26 am
  #191  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,517
Does Laudamotion (flies certain Ryanair routes e.g. from DUS) have reclining seats?
cockpitvisit is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:07 am
  #192  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,357
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
​​​​​​
Had priority ticket, with 2 cabin bags and 2 check bags. Either I'm not making it clear that a ryan air employee told me that my carry on was OK or people just want to argue. I'm hoping it the first... Doesn't matter anymore, I'll pay more for Aer Lingus next time if I ever do DUB-EDI.
I think it was clear that the first Ryanair check in agent was incorrect here. Presumably the agent took a visual look at the item and decided it was fine, when in reality they should have referred it to the gauge. Now in many situations what should have happened is that the gate agent should have made a quick call to the check-in agent before demanding money with menaces, but in essence on LCCs it doesn't work like that, either it is within the limits or not. And I think it is fair to point out that you had a bit of responsibility to check the size before going to the airport, which was indicated in the replies around your post on 4 March above. In the end the right thing happened, albeit with some nastiness thrown in. With LCCs generally you best accept that any leeway is far from guaranteed and that it is best to measure bags to know exactly where you stand.

DUB-EDI on Aer Lingus is with Stobart and their small aircraft, which has even smaller sizes than Ryanair. But yes, they tend to be polite.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 26, 19, 12:16 pm
  #193  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,962
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think it was clear that the first Ryanair check in agent was incorrect here. Presumably the agent took a visual look at the item and decided it was fine, when in reality they should have referred it to the gauge. Now in many situations what should have happened is that the gate agent should have made a quick call to the check-in agent before demanding money with menaces, but in essence on LCCs it doesn't work like that, either it is within the limits or not. And I think it is fair to point out that you had a bit of responsibility to check the size before going to the airport, which was indicated in the replies around your post on 4 March above. In the end the right thing happened, albeit with some nastiness thrown in. With LCCs generally you best accept that any leeway is far from guaranteed and that it is best to measure bags to know exactly where you stand.

DUB-EDI on Aer Lingus is with Stobart and their small aircraft, which has even smaller sizes than Ryanair. But yes, they tend to be polite.
Live and let live, BTW, never saw the sizer at the bag drop off area, if I had I would have checked myself, but taking the word of the Airline Employee should have been good enough.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:55 am
  #194  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: DAL/DFW
Programs: Not AAdvantage anymore, that's for sure
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 View Post
Hi folks, anyone know Leeds-Bradford?
I'm going from there to Bratislava next month, I've booked 1A as a seat because I quite like being at the front, and 1A gets me window and the only pocket on the whole plane..
I'm conscious that space in the lockers is an issue up there, though, and there's no underseat stowage.

Do they bus you to the plane from the gate at Leeds, or do you walk from terminal to stairs? If you walk, it's useful being near the front of the priority queue, and I'll plan my airside activities accordingly, but if there's a bus then there's little point and I'll join the queue when I'm good and ready.
It's been a couple of years since I flew from there, but last time I went out of LBA, it was a walk under a canopy. It almost certainly hasn't changed. So I'd try to get there early.

You are correct that there's no underseat stowage in 1A.
on-a-stick is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 4:03 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Devon/UK
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 215
Flying with Ryanair from Malta anyone know what time I should get to the airport for a 06:30 flight? (Carry on only)

Not use Malta before or Ryanair.
BlackSkyuk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread