Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stansted Gate Train to Nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I imagine that "You want to go where?" was the response of the airport official approached by the OP when they found themselves "trapped" in the satellite.

(That sounds rather Sandra Bullock-ish!!)
^ Good one, irishguy!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Do we know, for sure, that there aren't any signs warning passengers that they can't return from the satellites?
Even if there are such signs there is something wrong with them, as from evidence here they don't appear to work/no-one has seen them.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Regardless of the signage, I still don’t agree with the OP taking a random guess at which of the 4 possible departure points - Gates 1-19, 20-39, 40-51 and the ’Domestic Gates’ 81-88 (non-UK flights do depart from here) - his flight may have been departing from and then blaming STN when he was wrong.

When the Exec Lounge at Gates 1-19 was open they had a process in place to move people from there to the other terminals by car. A complete faff by all accounts and probably why it closed down.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:28 pm

Signs or no signs?

The assumption that there are no signs is based on posts from about half a dozen people... and none of them have said that there are definitely NO signs.

It's a couple of years since I last departed from STN, but I have a feeling, somewhere at the back of my mind, that I may in fact have seen signs warning people about the one-way trains. I may be entirely wrong, I may be misremembering things... but I don't think we should assume there are no signs just because none of that half-dozen people remember seeing them.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:44 pm

The assumption that there are no signs is based on posts from about half a dozen people... and none of them have said that there are definitely NO signs.

It's a couple of years since I last departed from STN, but I have a feeling, somewhere at the back of my mind, that I may in fact have seen signs warning people about the one-way trains. I may be entirely wrong, I may be misremembering things... but I don't think we should assume there are no signs just because none of that half-dozen people remember seeing them.
I think it is reasonable to make an argument that such signs should exist. I am not saying they don't, just that they should exist. if they do, no harm done, if they don't, there is the slight possibility that someone will recognize the error and correct it.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I think it is reasonable to make an argument that such signs should exist. I am not saying they don't, just that they should exist. if they do, no harm done, if they don't, there is the slight possibility that someone will recognize the error and correct it.
If there had been such at the departure point I would have noticed it and definitely not taken the risk of no return.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by nmstough
If there had been such at the departure point I would have noticed it and definitely not taken the risk of no return.
Considering that you failed to understand the signs telling you to wait in the main terminal until your gate had been announced, what makes you think that you would have seen and understood a "this is a one-way train" sign?

It's not a "gate train to nowhere". It's a "gate train for people who know that they're departing from that departure point". You chose to take that train, and then you blame others for your failure to pay attention to simple instructions.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Apr 4, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Considering that you failed to understand the signs telling you to wait in the main terminal until your gate had been announced, what makes you think that you would have seen and understood a "this is a one-way train" sign?

It's not a "gate train to nowhere". It's a "gate train for people who know that they're departing from that departure point". You chose to take that train, and then you blame others for your failure to pay attention to simple instructions.
I saw that sign. I chose to ignore it, not wanting to behave like the rest of the "sheep" milling about staring at a stupid monitor and coughing germs on each other. But that sign obviously didn't threaten to cause me to miss my flight. The absence of the warning sign about taking the train did threaten this and I wouldn't have taken the train if there had been such.

I dont blame anyone for this. Its just enormously rude to treat travelers that way. Ive been through so many airports on my travels and never experienced that kind of shameful attitude towards passengers before. I dont know if there are airport grades but this one definitely deserves an F.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:06 pm

I saw that sign. I chose to ignore it, not wanting to behave like the rest of the "sheep" milling about staring at a stupid monitor and coughing germs on each other. But that sign obviously didn't threaten to cause me to miss my flight. The absence of the warning sign about taking the train did threaten this and I wouldn't have taken the train if there had been such..
Sorry but not wanting to behave like the rest of the sheep doesn't mean your decision was the right one. It wasn't. Sometimes, you just have to accept that your role is sheep, not lone wolf, or pay the consequences.

I dont blame anyone for this. Its just enormously rude to treat travelers that way. Ive been through so many airports on my travels and never experienced that kind of shameful attitude towards passengers before. I dont know if there are airport grades but this one definitely deserves an F.
This is way overblown. I have stated more than once that it would be a good thing for there to be a sign. However, I don't consider it 'enormously rude' nor a 'shameful attitude'. It is a little bureaucratic ineptitude which could be corrected - not the crime of the century. If there are airport grades, this failure alone is not the basis for an F.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:59 pm

You chose to disobey signs. They went out of their way and bent over backwards to get you to your gate on time, despite the fact that the situation you were in was entirely your fault.

What's rude and shameful about that???
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
It was almost a disaster. I took a train to gates 20-39.
Is there any particular reason why you chose gates 20-39? From my knowledge of STN, most (80%?) of Ryanair flights depart from gates 40-59. For those gates, you don't need to take the train either.

Sure, you might have never been to STN and not know about this, but I'm pretty sure a quick glance at the departure board would show that 40-59 is essentially Ryanairland.

However, on the rare occasions that I had to take the train, I found it problematic. Can't remember exactly, but I think I had to go to gates 20-39, and the train PA system said something like "This train is for gates 1-19 only". I got off the train before it left the main terminal, only to find out that it did indeed go to 20-39.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by XmaX
Is there any particular reason why you chose gates 20-39? From my knowledge of STN, most (80%?) of Ryanair flights depart from gates 40-59. For those gates, you don't need to take the train either.
You need to take the train for those gates. The only gates that you can walk to are 81-89.

Originally Posted by XmaX
However, on the rare occasions that I had to take the train, I found it problematic. Can't remember exactly, but I think I had to go to gates 20-39, and the train PA system said something like "This train is for gates 1-19 only". I got off the train before it left the main terminal, only to find out that it did indeed go to 20-39.
The announcement says Gates 1-39. Once you are on it it says the first stop is for 1-19.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

I saw that sign. I chose to ignore it, not wanting to behave like the rest of the "sheep" milling about staring at a stupid monitor and coughing germs on each other. But that sign obviously didn't threaten to cause me to miss my flight. The absence of the warning sign about taking the train did threaten this and I wouldn't have taken the train if there had been such.

So all the "sheep" waited for instructions and got on to the flight without any hassle while you as the loner then caused airport employees inconvenience because you decided that you knew best?

Please explain why the germs that your fellow passengers were coughing on each other in the massive space that is the STN terminal suddenly stopped once they were onboard a long thin tube that recycles air?

It is clear that you are not going to accept culpability here and that your 1 in 4 gamble was entirely wrong.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gaza
You need to take the train for those gates. The only gates that you can walk to are 81-89.
No you don't. There are two satellites at the Western end which you reach by train (gates 1-19 and 20-39). The Ryanair gates (40+) are at the Eastern end and you take a long walk.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:00 am
Original Poster

No you don't. There are two satellites at the Western end which you reach by train (gates 1-19 and 20-39). The Ryanair gates (40+) are at the Eastern end and you take a long walk.
That's right. I had figured that since I wasn't sure exactly which gate my flight was leaving from it would be easier to take the quick train (which I had assumed I could return on) rather than take a long walk and be in the wrong location.

The larger issue is why this airport is not run in a passenger friendly manner like every other airport Ive been to in the rest of the world. Why not assign the gate well in advance so people can relax before their flight? I don't even understand how anybody makes flight connections with a one way train. Its totally bizarre.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 8, 2015 at 7:27 am Reason: Many for better ways to make a point, without being insensitive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.