Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
> You're getting a bit of extra width but if you are willing to pay why not look at an economy plus product from a mainline carrier?

Because I am flying one way. Flying to Europe in business on award miles so I can sleep to avoid horrible jetlag. To save my miles, I am flying back on money. Most mainline carriers don't give you sane prices for one way. Leaves the likes of Condor, Air Transat, Icelandair, and Norwegian.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Yes, that is similar to what I was doing using BA Avios on my return on Aer Lingus. I think Aer Lingus has somewhat sane one-way prices, and Singapore on FRA-JFK.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Great ideas, thanks! Noted. Didn't realize Aer Lingus came as far as LAX. Norwegian goes to OAK. JFK doesn't cut it -- flying Europe-East Coast-West Coast is murder. Flying Europe-West Coast-West Coast is bearable.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:44 am

Premium Upgrades

Does anyone have any idea if Norwegian offers discounted upgrades to Premium at check in? We are booked FLL-LGW and not a single seat in Premium has been sold either direction. Premium is not worth the extra $800 a person each way just for a slightly better seat and a few drinks, but if its offered at the airport for say $250 I might pay it.
Just wondering if any people that have flown with them have ever been offered. Or do they just fly with a completely empty Premium cabin?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:52 am

In longhaul premium, I understand that drinks and meals are included (and that water is free to all throughout the flight), however, in between meals, are sodas/coffees etc included or would those have to be paid for separately? How about booze?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:50 am

Very critical program on Danish television on DY longhaul operations. Highlighting the marketing of the Dreamliner - but use of leased HiFly 340s and not least DYs complete ignorance of customer service in case of iregular operations and their ignorance of EU regulation on compensation.

http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/kontant/kontant-115#!/

Sorry Danish only
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:42 am

it's a pity really, because in my experience they have been outstanding on my short haul flights

Last edited by lfc84; Feb 19, 2015 at 4:19 am
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:08 am

And oh - another incident with DY:
Captain and cabin crew in wild argument prior to takeoff from JFK in a snow storm. 4 cabin crew left the plane, plane took off with reduced crew. Breaking regulations according to Norwegian authorities as the cabin crew was too reduced:
http://jyllands-posten.dk/livsstil/r...ly-før-afgang/

Sorry Danish only
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Holy cow... DY already operates with minimum crew
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the FAA, its relevant national equivalent in Scandinavia, and/or the airline going to reprimand the captain if the captain failed to follow the rules about minimum cabin crew level?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Also in Yurop we then suspend activities from involved staff until investigations are concluded. According to the article at least the 4 who refused to board have been suspended. It doesn't read anything about the rest of the crew.

It's extremely bad that cabin crew refused the authority of the captain and the ATC about whether or not it's possible to take off. Apparently the Norwegian 'we're all so equal' national psyche is paying off.
It's also quite bad that the captain willingly took off with a deficiency in crew which, in theory, put the lives of both crew and passengers at a greater risk than allowed.

This, in combination with delays and technical issues still doesn't motivate me to try DY long haul. Short haul is a decent product nowadays, especially in a prince/quality comparison with SK.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by UltraRant
Apparently the Norwegian 'we're all so equal' national psyche is paying off.
That assumes that the crew was Norwegian, which on a long-haul is quite unlikely.

As you say, it is quite frightening that the crew didn't trust the captain enough, but then the very same captain set off without half of his crew - so the crew quite clearly had a point!

Bit of a circular argument, but how a "team" like this would behave in an evacuation is a frightening thought. As always with long-haul Norwegian - fine when everything goes to plan. But god help you if something is out of the ordinary.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All DY longhaul cabin crew are either FLL or BKK based, and all flight crew are DUB based, (or atleaset their wages come from there) so you have a few inter cultural topics onboard.

That said it may have been that the load on the flight was less and the Captain was satisfied the remaining crew could evacuate the aircraft correctly. There are procedures for that, just like when emergency exists are inop.

The cabin crew will normally perform their duties as required in an emergency, its in their own interest.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: Yes
I don't doubt that cabin crew perform their duties "as required" in an emergency, but whether they CAN if they don't trust their own captain is a different question.

I'm not so fussed about the potential safety implications, but more concerned that crew found it necessary to leave the plane - there is a fundamental lack of trust here. Do I want to be in the middle of that as a passenger?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
All DY longhaul cabin crew are either FLL or BKK based, and all flight crew are DUB based, (or atleaset their wages come from there) so you have a few inter cultural topics onboard.

That said it may have been that the load on the flight was less and the Captain was satisfied the remaining crew could evacuate the aircraft correctly. There are procedures for that, just like when emergency exists are inop.

The cabin crew will normally perform their duties as required in an emergency, its in their own interest.
Someone from the airline or an airline regulator involved in this seemed to have implied in the media somewhere that the flight had adequate cabin crew for the flight load. Was this the Jan 26th (Monday) flight from JFK? Then it was probably far from full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.