Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not to fly Ryanair

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
...The only problem I had was reaching the call center folks since we needed to hold on for a long time but otherwise quite quite decent..
Don't want to rain on your parade but check out the outrageous call charges to phone Ryanair using their suggested contacts.
The alternative is to bypass the 'special' numbers and phone their Rest of the World number direct at normal charges
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by farci
Don't want to rain on your parade but check out the outrageous call charges to phone Ryanair using their suggested contacts.
The alternative is to bypass the 'special' numbers and phone their Rest of the World number direct at normal charges
I called this no itself
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:11 am

I flew 10 separate flights with Ryanair last summer, all within a month, all around western Europe and Morocco. Nothing spectacular, but not a single complaint. I was alone for all but one of the flights and typically boarded in the middle. Lucky for me, everyone always went for the very front or very back seats for easy off access and I had an entire row of emergency exit seats to myself for nearly every flight. The buses out to their respective airports (Girona, Beauvais, Ciampino) were annoying sometimes. But I liked the smaller airports. Met very nice airport personnel at BVA and BHD. I ended up stranded in Pisa one night due to a late flight and the airport staff knew nothing of any busses to Florence for the night. Luckily, the random b&b I told the cab to take me to had availability.

I recommend it to other people. It was a lot cheaper than trains and since I booked in advance, I know I saved a lot of money comparatively.

The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not reflect those of Southwest Airlines, SW's directors, board or employees. I am fully responsible for my opinions posted.

Last edited by KelseyR; Sep 17, 2010 at 3:43 am Reason: disclaimer
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by KelseyR
Nothing spectacular, but not a single complaint.
very lucky....

ryanair is like pretty much every other llc when things go right....but if you have a problem then its almost impossible to reason with them....
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Nothing spectacular, but not a single complaint.

<snip>

I ended up stranded in Pisa one night due to a late flight and the airport staff knew nothing of any busses to Florence for the night.
Stranded for the night and no complaints

EmailKid
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
very lucky....

ryanair is like pretty much every other llc when things go right....but if you have a problem then its almost impossible to reason with them....
+1.. but also went things go wrong, I would guess its like every other lcc where its impossible to reason with them

Nothing spectacular, but not a single complaint. I was alone for all but one of the flights and typically boarded in the middle.
I recommend it to other people. It was a lot cheaper than trains and since I booked in advance, I know I saved a lot of money comparatively.
Nice to read abt the above.
I know some other colleagues who also regularl book with them and are quite happy since its ofcourse always for personal travel..
I shd not expect much when I dont pay and i just expect lcc'S to take me from A --> B safely and thts it..ofcourse there is a risk and this is worth it depending on how much is the total fare difference between rya air and the next best.. BUT IMHO most Lcc's would be similar ..
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by emailkid
Stranded for the night and no complaints

EmailKid
It's not Ryanair's fault that the staff @ the Pisa airport doesn't know the ground transportation schedules. I assign fault where it's due!

The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not reflect those of Southwest Airlines, SW's directors, board or employees. I am fully responsible for my opinions posted.

Last edited by KelseyR; Sep 17, 2010 at 3:43 am Reason: disclaimer
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:21 pm

It's not Ryanair's fault that the staff @ the Pisa airport doesn't know the ground transportation schedules. I assign fault where it's due!
Under EU regulations stranded passengers have a right to care. Ryanair should have arranged hotel accommodation at their (Ryanair's) expense.

So yes, Ryanair ARE to blame here. They were not doing what the law requires them to do.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
I need THERAPY.

Just taken a call from my sister in Italy. Had to book her a flight from East Midlands to Rome (she hasn't booked Rome to East Midlands yet!) she is coming over next month to help care for mum who is having surgery. She loves Ryanair for some reason. I suppose she treats it a bit like a bus with wings.

She really did make me book the flight.......I am so traumatised now I will have to go and have a brandy!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Under EU regulations stranded passengers have a right to care. Ryanair should have arranged hotel accommodation at their (Ryanair's) expense.

So yes, Ryanair ARE to blame here. They were not doing what the law requires them to do.
Well, stranded in that I was supposed to be on a bus to Florence that night, so not stranded at the airport. I had to track down a cab at midnight to take me to a b&b. I guess I don't think it's stranded in the severe sense that would require Ryanar accommodation, or even trying to track down someone with that authority in the middle of the night, since I still had somewhere to stay and public, albeit expensive, transportation was available. It all worked out, had a nice morning in Pisa anyway and met some nice people on the train over.

Last edited by KelseyR; Sep 17, 2010 at 3:42 am Reason: disclaimer
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by divingdancer
She loves Ryanair for some reason.
say it isn't so....

Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
I fly a lot on company business and mostly have to use Ryanair and Easyjet. Fundamentally, they suck because they don't have a frequent flyer program. STN leaves me with no other choices and I rue the year that KLMuk pulled out of Stansted.

I could put up with all the other cr@p (starts a list as long as your arm) but if they had a FP program I'd be a lot warmer. Mind you, I'd certainly use any points gained for hotels or rental cars, not flights :-)

I suspect this fact may be a true for a many more RA loathers.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by CityRules
... I rue the year that KLMuk pulled out of Stansted.
Quite. It's worse than you suggest.

KLMuk started buzz, an attempt to compete with the likes of easyJet and Ryanair. They failed, and sold buzz to Ryanair!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: TAP Victoria, Eurobonus, tam fidelidade
I have tried Ryanair a couple of times.

When you see their prices they are cheap, and yes they are cheap if

You dont care if you will be late

You wont have any luggage with you

You are ok with to land in airport very far from the city center

You dont expect any service at all and I mean any service

If you can say yes to all these then Ryanair can be ok but dont expect anything. Just expect that you will maybe be flown from A to B, at some point in some kind of chair
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Mads, Having flown RA far too many times, I'd say they cannot be beaten on time. If I really had to be somewhere on time I would actually chose them over all others.

Roger, Yes, I remember Buzz - even had assigned seating, I believe. Do you know why KLM pulled out of STN? Planes were always pretty full, good connections at AMS thus making STN, through KLM, a good gateway from the east of England to Europe and the rest of the world. They're still operating from NCL for instance. (I'm assuming KLMuk were not independent of KLM. mind you - I still remember Air UK.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.