Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Any good tips for longer term (1-2 month) rental in TX? Non-US insurance holder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

We're going to be staying in TX for 1-2 months for family reasons but we're both (husband and self) UK residents so have no US insurance. I have a TX drivers license still.

We usually book and rent from the UK (or on a UK IP address while we're there, and UK credit card, billing address etc.) through Alamo but it is coming up more expensive this trip, probably because it's extending into the summer vacation. But doing this usually gives us free 2nd driver, and a good insurance deal (we were burned with a small fender bender where the other driver claimed whiplash - side collision, 2mph - when we lived in CA and husband won't go for less than $1M 3rd party now).

Anyone got any good ideas for ways to save money on this?

I'll check back later when I see what quotes he's come up with. We usually find booking direct on Alamo.co.uk gets a better deal than many of the search sites (and you get to see the conditions, too).

We also struggle because we'd ideally like to be able to extend (if we have to stay longer) but usually end up driving to the airport to change the car for a new one for a week, and we are not sure yet if we want to drop off at a different location (we can always get a ride with family, and pick up a new car, or fly, but it's a pain to do that).
Old May 25, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
As I posted in the other thread, the best way is to call local agencies (off-airport) and ask for rates. As far as insurance, you might want to see if any of your credit cards will provide some insurance protection. AMEX has auto insurance but does not cover liability for a flat rate if I recall correctly.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, good tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.