Current state of life on the cheap end in LAS

 
Old May 16, 14, 5:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
Current state of life on the cheap end in LAS

If you have a suite at Bellagio, and a limo picking you up at the airport, and looking for a rental set of wheels you can drive around LAS to throw $100 bills out of the window, this post is not for you.

I have no idea what will happen next week, next month. Fact is, with the current taxes and fees that one incurs at the "car rental center", right or wrong, there is only one truly cheap option in LAS for car rental rates, and that's Fox which is off site from the rental center. Competition has not waken up that they need to flee the rental center, or they have sufficient demand, they could give a .....

It will be cheap, relative to everyone else. You will pay $1.50/rental day if you ride their shuttle from the car rental center, if not, doesn't apply.

And I gotta tell you, if you arrive after 8a, and it gets only worse later and later in the day, and on Friday and Saturday, gawd help you, the wait is horrendous. You will hear grown men and women cry and scream foul. They are in denial that they are paying a price for their time in LAS for cheap.

The rental cars are ok, but the process to pick up your car is truly painful. Seriously.

But at the moment, Fox is the only game in town on really cheap rental rates.

This may change tomorrow. But thought I'd share. And when I do rent in Vegas, I rent from Fox (oh Alamo, what happened to you...)... but only before 7:30 am, cause that line and the newbies who are starting to realize what is happening to them, gawd help us...
randix is offline  
Old May 20, 14, 9:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 2,246
I am still finding Dollar and Alamo less than Fox. My next rental, pick up Sat, drop off Wed for a full size, is $84, and I expect it to come down lower. I normally pay around $50-$60. Fox has it for $98. If I can keep my rental under $100, I am not even going to consider looking at Fox.
tatterdema is offline  
Old May 24, 14, 3:34 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
I am still finding Dollar and Alamo less than Fox. My next rental, pick up Sat, drop off Wed for a full size, is $84, and I expect it to come down lower. I normally pay around $50-$60. Fox has it for $98. If I can keep my rental under $100, I am not even going to consider looking at Fox.
Can anyone give me advice on how to find the best deal on a 6 week rental in Las Vegas? I will probably be gone from Vegas for a few days in the middle, so an alternative is to rent for 3 weeks and then again for 2.5 weeks, but if I find a great monthly rate then obviously that will work out better. I'm really looking for the cheapest thing I can find - maybe I'd pay a little extra for a non-tiny car. I'm willing to endure a little hassle to save a buck or two per day.

I know some places to look for discount codes, but if there's a clear best place to look for Vegas, let me know. I have Avis Preferred status, National/Emerald Executive status, and I think I'm about to get Sixt Express Platinum status but not sure if I'll get that nailed down in time: my trip starts on the night of May 28.

Thanks for any advice you can give...
-huge
huge is offline  
Old May 24, 14, 5:01 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
fwiw

If you read the post that started this thread (???), you'd have your answer, imho. Although I'd much prefer to rent from Hertz, the cheapest in Vegas is Fox which is off site thus avoiding the assessments made to companies in the rental car center. if you search the web, you can often find promo codes that will take off another 5-10% on whatever rate you land. if you want cheap, you're better off renting in 1-2 week periods than 6 weeks at a time. If you don't arrange your pickup at Fox for any rental, prior to 7:30am on any day, you're insane and will shake your head in disbelief.

totally somewhat unrelated, i just picked up a compact car at fox, for a week, one way from LAS to SJC, for $134, all in, no drop fee; they want cars out of Vegas.


Originally Posted by huge View Post
Can anyone give me advice on how to find the best deal on a 6 week rental in Las Vegas? I will probably be gone from Vegas for a few days in the middle, so an alternative is to rent for 3 weeks and then again for 2.5 weeks, but if I find a great monthly rate then obviously that will work out better. I'm really looking for the cheapest thing I can find - maybe I'd pay a little extra for a non-tiny car. I'm willing to endure a little hassle to save a buck or two per day.

I know some places to look for discount codes, but if there's a clear best place to look for Vegas, let me know. I have Avis Preferred status, National/Emerald Executive status, and I think I'm about to get Sixt Express Platinum status but not sure if I'll get that nailed down in time: my trip starts on the night of May 28.

Thanks for any advice you can give...
-huge
randix is offline  
Old May 25, 14, 12:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by randix View Post
totally somewhat unrelated, i just picked up a compact car at fox, for a week, one way from LAS to SJC, for $134, all in, no drop fee; they want cars out of Vegas.
I just did the same, using Alamo LAS to ONT for week. $123 total, plus I get 2400 RR points. There are some good deals right now out of LAS.
tatterdema is offline  
Old May 25, 14, 6:07 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
One of my favorite trips in the past year...

Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
I just did the same, using Alamo LAS to ONT for week. $123 total, plus I get 2400 RR points. There are some good deals right now out of LAS.
was taking the shuttle over to MRY from SJC, then flying to LAS on Allegiant for $39, then returning to the Bay area by renting a one way car from Vegas, I know that 9 hr drive by heart. Alas, the cheapest on Allegiant one way, anymore is $54 or so and not offered as frequent.
randix is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread