Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hainan: Boston to Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Hainan: Boston to Beijing

It seems Hainan is starting a boston to beijing route this month. i wonder if this replaces their boston to shanghai route, or did they already have a boston to beijing route before?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202311/1302249.shtml
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by redmaple9
It seems Hainan is starting a boston to beijing route this month. i wonder if this replaces their boston to shanghai route, or did they already have a boston to beijing route before?

Their PVG-BOS route authority was terminated by the "5 ones" policy. PEK-BOS is a new route. PVG-BOS presumably would have been approved by both CAAC and the (US) DOT if they had applied for it, but they ultimately decided to apply for PEK-BOS instead.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:58 am
Original Poster

So does this mean that the PVG route won't be coming back? I heard elsewhere that they had both a PVG and PEK route in the past.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:14 pm

So does this mean that the PVG route won't be coming back? I heard elsewhere that they had both a PVG and PEK route in the past.
I think they did have both in the past. But, as long as only 35-75 weekly slot pairs are available to Chinese airlines, the only way they could fly both at the same time would be a 2 + 1 arrangement, which presumably is less desirable than 3 + 0.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:56 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

Hainan is a bit stronger at PEK vs PVG so I'd envision that's why they started PEK-BOS first. China had one route one airline policy for North American routes in the past so back then HU started PVG-BOS as the other major cities have been served by MU. Post COVID market dynamic is very different but if I were to guess HU would want to restart PEK-SEA/YYZ before PVG-BOS. So it all depends on how many flights they are allowed.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
Hainan is a bit stronger at PEK vs PVG so I'd envision that's why they started PEK-BOS first.
​​​​​​
-They actually talked up PVG-BOS quite a bit before switching their focus to BJS-BOS
-CA's stranglehold on BJS and MU's on SHA doesn't extend beyond major cities in other countries, so BOS, LAS, HNL, BRU, etc are there for the taking
-I don't think onward connections are much of a factor because they're really only promoting connections that would work equally well from either city
-The vast majority of US flights during COVID used PVG as a gateway, and the balance remains lopsided, though not as much, so BJS seemingly presented more opportunity
-I'm really liking their pricing (in economy only, unfortunately) thus far

Last edited by moondog; Nov 27, 2023 at 12:00 am
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Looks like they are also operating this flight as PEK-BOS-SEA-PEK, effectively offering two different markets one-stop options to/from China. They're not selling tickets on the BOS-SEA segment without an onward connection to China, but would be interesting to fly BOS-SEA on a Chinese airline.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:14 pm
m.y

Originally Posted by hi55us
Looks like they are also operating this flight as PEK-BOS-SEA-PEK, effectively offering two different markets one-stop options to/from China. They're not selling tickets on the BOS-SEA segment without an onward connection to China, but would be interesting to fly BOS-SEA on a Chinese airline.
Hainan airlines is not selling SEA-PEK either. It is a pure technical stop to refuel and maybe change crew? With the SEA stop, it is actually quicker to fly via Europe to get to PEK. Of course many passengers still prefer a direct flight staffed with Mandarin speaking crews.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
Hainan airlines is not selling SEA-PEK either. It is a pure technical stop to refuel and maybe change crew? With the SEA stop, it is actually quicker to fly via Europe to get to PEK. Of course many passengers still prefer a direct flight staffed with Mandarin speaking crews.
TMK, the flight is nonstop eastbound. And, westbound, the stop in SEA is only 90 minutes. I can't think of a single Europe transit that is faster.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 8:38 pm
m.y

Originally Posted by moondog
TMK, the flight is nonstop eastbound. And, westbound, the stop in SEA is only 90 minutes. I can't think of a single Europe transit that is faster.
Now the caveat is the price of the LHR flight is almost 4x the HU flight.

Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
Now the caveat is the price of the LHR flight is almost 4x the HU flight.

Search for BOS-PEK RT on the days of the week that HU flies (only 3). It's less than $900 RT, and the eastbound is only 15 hours. Furthermore, PEK is an hour closer to town than PKX.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 4:39 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by moondog
Search for BOS-PEK RT on the days of the week that HU flies (only 3). It's less than $900 RT, and the eastbound is only 15 hours. Furthermore, PEK is an hour closer to town than PKX.
For those needing to go to neighbouring cities like Tianjin, PKX is definitely better as with the opening of the Jinxin line this week, you can take a highspeed train directly to PKX from Tianjin in around 45 minutes.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.