Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PAL crew not following SOP for rest time?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Qantas. Air NZ.
Totally uncalled for reply from Often1 to a very reasonable question. I would beg the question how do you maintain all your FF programmes and manage to post on this forum 13 times every single day since 2010 ?
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Putting my $.02 in:

Being that the flight is coming to the USA, FAA regulations would have to be adhered to, or PAL would have their authority to operate to the USA banned as it was years ago due to safety issues. It is the same as B747-437B states in the USA. I used to transport many flight crew members to MIA or FLL that were commuting to another airport for their flights, both international and domestic. They usually aren't dressed in uniform for these flights, and when they arrive at their based airport, go to the employee lounge to change and freshen up.

Also, I may be wrong, but when the US Customs inspects the plane after the disembarkation of the passengers, it is my understanding that the crew are supposed to exit the aircraft while it is being inspected, and return while it is being cleaned. Please correct if I am wrong.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Being that the flight is coming to the USA, FAA regulations would have to be adhered to
No, that is not the case in the issue of FDTL. Each individual CAA manages their own regulations as per ICAO standards and the FAA simply audits them against those as part of the IASA program.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
all the "snide" postings aside, my issue would be as a passenger and I knew this practice was happening would I feel comfortable getting on plane when the crew had deadheaded for such a long period - the answer would be NO. But then, we don't know when this happens - so we never make an informed decision.

I know a couple of Sleep researchers and the practices of airlines do vary considerably and interesting there are some airlines they would not fly.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This has become extremely frequent on many airlines, given the constraints imposed on crews by many countries.
For example BA has been flying to HKG keeping the 14-seat F class cabin for the second crew. LX, QR, EK also use two crews and no crew sets their feet on HK ground. Other longhaul airlines imply do not fly to HKG anymore.
But foreign regional airlines can do a turnaround in HKG with the same crew.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Sadly, the choice is thus:

1) Airline accepts that crews lands (crosses immigration) and thus must comply with the national quarantine rules AND the consequences of any sickness developed in the 3rd country. In Hong Kong - this is 3 weeks at the moment. Not happening. And I don't think crews would agree even if asked.
2) Airline stops flying, so nobody can use that flight (take MNL-LHR for example). Crews are now out of work. Passengers are stranded.
3) Airline expects crew to rest on the plane, either having the rest period on the plane for 1 crew or uses 2 crews, one for each leg.

I find that the situation described is a rather pragmatic response when the alternatives are considered. Not shocking. Not impossible, but surprisingly pragmatic (surprising given the bureaucracy of PAL and the border policy of the Philippines).

Travel is really difficult in and out of PHL these days (especially if you don't live in NCR region like me). While PAL's idea of service is just a joke of comedic errors, your friends should be grateful that PAL found a way to get them to LAX.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ahopkins767

1) Airline accepts that crews lands (crosses immigration) and thus must comply with the national quarantine rules AND the consequences of any sickness developed in the 3rd country. In Hong Kong - this is 3 weeks at the moment. Not happening. And I don't think crews would agree even if asked.
2) Airline stops flying, so nobody can use that flight (take MNL-LHR for example). Crews are now out of work. Passengers are stranded.
3) Airline expects crew to rest on the plane, either having the rest period on the plane for 1 crew or uses 2 crews, one for each leg.

I find that the situation described is a rather pragmatic response when the alternatives are considered. Not shocking. Not impossible, but surprisingly pragmatic (surprising given the bureaucracy of PAL and the border policy of the Philippines).

Travel is really difficult in and out of PHL these days (especially if you don't live in NCR region like me). While PAL's idea of service is just a joke of comedic errors, your friends should be grateful that PAL found a way to get them to LAX.
Agree - the alternative is that pax are completely stranded with no flights at all.

As for the safety element... yes, I'd be happier with 'fresh' crews, properly rested. However, plenty of stories from pilots and crews who say that even when they go to a hotel they are so jetlagged they don't sleep properly anyway. So what's worse? Arrive, have to pass immigration, bus to the hotel, check-in, can't sleep anyway, and do the whole process in reverse before flying onwards. Or arrive after 12 hours, don't have any of the mucking around, and return back to home?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ahopkins767

I didn’t say my friends were unhappy or were not grateful to get home and back to lax-their parents were sick/dying so they certainly didn’t feel like complaining about the airline-but they had never seen it-and neither had I, hence the post. Interesting what brunos reports about BA and others doing same: I thought crew were always exempted from quarantine etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.