Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Airlines cancel cheap tickets sold during mobile app “glitch”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Can an airline unilaterally cancel airline tickets without getting the consent of the passenger/ticket holder?

A few days ago, Philippine Airlines sold $300 Business Class tickets from NRT/KIX-MNL-JFK/YVR/YYZ which the airline cancelled after a few days with an email to passengers saying the confirmed booking was identified as an “erroneous purchase transaction”.

What are the rights of the passengers / confirmed ticket holders? The amount appearing on the payment confirmation page was paid in full yet PAL is claiming that there was a glitch and would not honor the booking. So does that mean, everytime, PAL can just say there’s a glitch and cancel the paid and confirmed tickets? If their system is unreliable. Why are they using it?

See news article below:

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/mone...-glitch/story/
Old May 14, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by vjcc
Can an airline unilaterally cancel airline tickets without getting the consent of the passenger/ticket holder?
Based upon the actions of other airlines, yes.

It really boils down to the terms and conditions you agreed to when purchasing the ticket, and whether there is a clause in those terms permitting PR to cancel a ticket for various reasons. You would probably need to consider a civil claim for perceived breach of contract, and in similar cases in Europe judges have considered whether it might have been obvious to the purchaser of a mistake fare that the cost of the ticket bought would have been an obvious mistake - i.e. It was far too cheap.

Even if​​​ you were able to bring the case and win against the airline, what remedy would you be seeking? Remember that airlines never cover consequential losses, only to provide transport, so practically the remedy would be to reinstate the ticket and then run the risk of being singled out as a troublemaker by staff and crew when you travel. Would it be likely you could argue to be rerouted at the airlines expense on another carrier, I doubt it?

To be fair to PR, they or their agents have honoured other probable mistake fares such as this one, although I don't think it's obvious to anyone if that was an OTA mistake or an airline mistake.

When we book mistake fares it's a roll of the dice, some you won't some you loose. I would suggest moving on.... The fight IMHO is not worth it.
nancypants, trooper and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
OP should also have shared this with FT while it was available, rather than just asking for recourse when airlines decided not to honor it. I doubt OP will get any help/tips because be of this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
Based upon the actions of other airlines, yes.

To be fair to PR, they or their agents have honoured other probable mistake fares such as this one, although I don't think it's obvious to anyone if that was an OTA mistake or an airline mistake.

When we book mistake fares it's a roll of the dice, some you won't some you loose. I would suggest moving on.... The fight IMHO is not worth it.

Thanks for this! Was hoping they would also honor this one!
Old May 16, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
OP should also have shared this with FT while it was available, rather than just asking for recourse when airlines decided not to honor it. I doubt OP will get any help/tips because be of this.
That would indeed have been nice.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by plunet
I heard there were at least 1,000 tickets that got issued. My guess is unlike the LHR-MNL-HKG, this round saw a spike of Philippine-based bookings (via Philippine-issued credit cards) which may have forced the airline to reconsider.

Plus the fact that MNL-HKG flights are serviced by mostly widebodies where they have more seats to go around, Osaka-Kansai and Tokyo-Narita flights are mostly serviced by narrowbodies like the A321, where there are only 12 seats in Business or 18 seats if you get a widebody A330. Considering the number of tickets that got sold, I think it wiped out a considerable amount of premium seat inventory for Japan flights which may be profitable for the airline.

When buying error fares, it's always wise to expect it would be cancelled unless otherwise stated by the airline. There's a saying that goes "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Of course, I think PAL should have at least cancelled the tickets a lot sooner than 72hrs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
$300 for a return J ticket Japan-USA is quite good!!!

As said above, such an obvious error fare has little chance to be honored when there are 1,000 tickets issued.

CX had an error fare from Vietnam at $600+ in J and 1+k in F. Surprisingly they honored it although a large number of tickets were sold. That makes HK guys, like me, very upset as award or cheap J availability HKG-Vietnam has disappeared and HKG-USA availability in premium cabin has dried up considerably.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
seems like it's been picked up by a news outlet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.